Ford Sued For Using Defective Gas Tanks in F-Series

My '99 stumbled and stalled around 100k. Guess I should have sued Ford instead of changing the fuel filter and making things all better. :rolleyes:

On your '99 F-150, was the stumbling/stalling issue caused by defective lining as described in the article, or was fuel filter replacement a maintenance item? For my 2010 Fusion, the owner's manual states the fuel filter is "lifetime" part that does not require replacement - I wasn't sure if that was the case for 1999 MY Fords.

According to the complaint, the fuel tank lining of Ford's full-size trucks and vans built between 1999 and 2008 can "separate and flake off," clogging the fuel system and causing the truck to stumble or stall. Further, Ford is said to have issued a "secret" technical service bulletin to dealers about the problem, but never issued a recall or offering to fix customer vehicles for free.

On my '99 (as well as my '05), the fuel filter was a maintenance item. I take the blame for not changing it regularly. :)

Without knowing the actual details: What if it clogs and had to be replaced at twice the normal service interval? Four times? Ten times? Daily?

How often would it have to clog before you acknowledged that it's a legitimate problem?

Without knowing the actual details: What if it clogs and had to be replaced at twice the normal service interval? Four times? Ten times? Daily?

How often would it have to clog before you acknowledged that it's a legitimate problem?

What is clogging it - bad fuel or pieces of the fuel tank? I won't have much tank left if I'm losing chunks to the filter daily.

Key questions - Did they perform maintenance on the vehicles? Did they use a schedule based on miles or hours? What vehicles were affected?

No secret bulletins that I know of.

Coincidentally, this all started when ultra low sulfur diesel came out. How was Ford supposed to do durability testing on a fuel that wasn't available?

It could also be due to the percentage of bio in the fuels available at filling stations which ten to be 10%+. I think the 6.0 and 6.4 are only rated for B5. Why would Ford have to give you a free tank if your using higher bio content than recommended?

Those are my two theories anyway. No porblems before 2007.

Guess I never really thought about it. I mean, it went 3 times the normal interval before it started causing problems. You know, if it was happening regularly, I would check into the problem and get it fixed. If you have to take advil every day for pain, do you just keep taking it, or go to the dr. and see what's causing the pain?

If it was a huge issue, as we have seen with other issues, people would be complaining right and left on the interwebz. This is the first I have heard of an issue with it, and I frequent a couple F150 forums as well as this one.

Really, though, people need to get a grip. People seem to forget that $hit happens. If something goes wrong, lets find someone to blame! Why should I be responsible for my vehicle outside of the warranty period! Ford made it, it should last forever without costing me a dime in maintenance!! If it doesn't last to 5 times the warranty, then the manufacturer is at fault! Bottom line, if it fails after warranty, the manufacturer is not bound to fix it. If you don't like it, buy a different brand, don't sue them because it failed.

This sue-happiness just pi$$es me off!

• Like 3

A class action lawsuit will only make the attorneys big $$$...the owners will get a pittance or a voucher toward the purchase of a new truck....

Honda just lost a class action suit on Civic hybrid fuel economy. Owners got $200 and a discount on a future Honda. Attorneys got $6M. That says it all.

• Like 4

According to the complaint, the fuel tank lining of Ford's full-size trucks and vans built between 1999 and 2008 can "separate and flake off," clogging the fuel system and causing the truck to stumble or stall. Further, Ford is said to have issued a "secret" technical service bulletin to dealers about the problem, but never issued a recall or offering to fix customer vehicles for free.

Oh please Technical Bulletins are not secret

• Like 2

Guess I never really thought about it. I mean, it went 3 times the normal interval before it started causing problems. You know, if it was happening regularly, I would check into the problem and get it fixed. If you have to take advil every day for pain, do you just keep taking it, or go to the dr. and see what's causing the pain?

If it was a huge issue, as we have seen with other issues, people would be complaining right and left on the interwebz. This is the first I have heard of an issue with it, and I frequent a couple F150 forums as well as this one.

Really, though, people need to get a grip. People seem to forget that $hit happens. If something goes wrong, lets find someone to blame! Why should I be responsible for my vehicle outside of the warranty period! Ford made it, it should last forever without costing me a dime in maintenance!! If it doesn't last to 5 times the warranty, then the manufacturer is at fault! Bottom line, if it fails after warranty, the manufacturer is not bound to fix it. If you don't like it, buy a different brand, don't sue them because it failed.

This sue-happiness just pi$$es me off!

Your last paragraph is totally correct unless it is a design flaw, which ford will never admit too.. FWIW I fullyintend to take your advice..
  • Like 1

Honda just lost a class action suit on Civic hybrid fuel economy. Owners got $200 and a discount on a future Honda. Attorneys got $6M. That says it all.

Except for one woman that opted out and instead took Honda to small claims court and won....good for her! :yup:

Edited by twintornados

Oh good grief. If they fix something under warranty or recall, they're taking responsibility for the problem. What more do you want?

Please don't ask that - he's got a big issues with the 3V's spark plugs and VCT failures...

Edited by jpd80

This is another one of those 6.0 diesel problems. I guess I've fixed two 7.3 E series ambulances too. It requires a complete fuel system (all 8 injectors, pump, fuel pressure regulator, and tank of course $$$). It only seems to happen on E/F350-450 and F550 with aft-axle tanks.

A problem we had was tank availability. A few customers had to wait 3+ months for replacement tanks. This required them to run on the midship tank, which is quite a bit smaller. Smaller than the typical F-series with just the midship tank. E series aren't equipped with dual tanks so they were just stuck.

They were constantly on back order for "engineering changes". These "changes" appeared to be a lack of lining in the tank. Instead of waiting for the replacement, some technicians (not at our dealer) would send the tank to a radiator shop to have them stripped and relined. I thought this was rather dangerous due to lack of testing on the lining the rad shop was using. How did they know that lining won't flake off and clog the fuel system?

I still stand by the theory that it is ULSD and bio content. Additives in the ULSD? Additives used to suspend bio in the fuel?

This is something I just didn't see before the new fuel came out. Some rusty F52 tanks due to a lot of sitting around, but not lining delamination.

If customers drained there water seperator every now and then like they're supposed to, they would have noticed the large silver flakes and (if they went to a repair shop) could have saved their injectors.

• Like 5