2013 Ford Fusion Order Guide

BORG

What competitors to the Fusion have available HID in North America, should be the equation, not between Ford and its supposedly premium brand Lincoln.

HID does not make a vehicle premium or luxury brand does it?

In the domestic markets of USA, Canada, and Mexico, the only competitors to the Fusion that currently offer HID headlamps are Mazda 6 and Nissan Altima.

You are correct - HID headlamps do not make a vehicle "premium". Additionally, HID headlamps aren't necessarily better than halogen based designs. Consumer Reports' evaluations of automotive headlamp performance found that either HID or halogen units can perform very well. By the same token, either HID or halogen headlamps can exhibit poor distance, pattern uniformity, and/or intensity.

In the domestic markets of USA, Canada, and Mexico, the only competitors to the Fusion that currently offer HID headlamps are Mazda 6 and Nissan Altima.

You are correct - HID headlamps do not make a vehicle "premium". Additionally, HID headlamps aren't necessarily better than halogen based designs. Consumer Reports' evaluations of automotive headlamp performance found that either HID or halogen units can perform very well. By the same token, either HID or halogen headlamps can exhibit poor distance, pattern uniformity, and/or intensity.

You forgot the 2013 Malibu, Regal and Kia Optima.

You forgot the 2013 Malibu, Regal and Kia Optima.

Thanks for catching that, jasonj80. Optima I definitely overlooked; Regal I didn't consider a Fusion competitor (though ostensibly it could be considered so to highline Fusion models).

Is the 2013 Malibu going to have HID headlamps as a late production option? The U.S. order guide for the '13 Malibu Eco only makes mention of halogen headlamps.

Edited by aneekr

Thanks for catching that, jasonj80. Optima I definitely overlooked; Regal I didn't consider a Fusion competitor (though ostensibly it could be considered so to highline Fusion models).

Is the 2013 Malibu going to have HID headlamps as a late production option? The U.S. order guide for the '13 Malibu Eco only makes mention of halogen headlamps.

They are going to be optional on the LTZ models with LED taillights according to the original press release. GM never should have launched this car at this time - they should have waited until the full line was ready. I think they were concerned it was going to be outclassed by the new Fusion/Accord/Altima and didn't want it to get lost in the media coverage

As for the Regal -- it is a Midsized competitor in my book, as much as GM wants me to think Buick = Lexus in my book its Buick = VW, Mazda or Ford of late.

Its not the lack of HID's that concern me with the Fusion - though with the LED/HID running lights it does give the car a premium look to go along with the rest of the car - I just don't like the option packaging, options and lack of SEL trim line.

Ford needs to be consistent with what features you get with each trim line across models.

Edited by jasonj80

Its not the lack of HID's that concern me with the Fusion - though with the LED/HID running lights it does give the car a premium look to go along with the rest of the car - I just don't like the option packaging, options and lack of SEL trim line.

Ford needs to be consistent with what features you get with each trim line across models.

It is rather weird how they are doing the Fusion, but at the same time if you look at the Escape SEL and Titanium models...a loaded out SEL actually costs more then the Titanium models! So I can see why they are dropping the SEL trim.

I'd personally like to see more "sporty" options for the Titanium model (much like the Focus), just in-case I can't wait for a ST Fusion or what ever they call it...unless I get seduced by a 3.7L MKZ LOL

I've heard the Fiesta and Focus will be going with the same format - S, SE and Titanium. Not sure why the CUVs should be different or maybe they'll be next. I think they just need to pick something and do it across the board.

They should just drop the S -- SE, SEL, and Titanium -- S just sounds über cheap.

• Like 1

They should just drop the S -- SE, SEL, and Titanium -- S just sounds über cheap.

That's the idea. But I agree. I just don't understand why the 2013 Escape and Fusion are different. You'd think they would have done the same thing on both.

• Like 1

I just breathed a huge sigh of relief to see the 1.6L MTX can be had with leather. Thank you, Ford, but know I'd be even happier with a manual bolted to the 2-liter.

I see no mention of a "Sport" seat anywhere, so fingers crossed the power leather seats will be nicely bolstered.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Upon further review. the Sony radio in the Fusion is limited to Titanium trim. The hybrid is based on the SE trim.

And that's the problem. I don't know why a buyer would have to sacrifice on features just to get the most fuel efficient engine. Correct me if I'm wrong - but as far as I know, the current Fusion Hybrid is available with all major features as well - so I don't understand this "downgrading".

I'll probably get the Titanium anyway since lease-incentives and manufacturer-rebates are going to make up for the difference in gas between the (still quite fuel-efficient) Titanium and the Hybrid - but I have my doubts that sripping features compared to the CURRENT Fusion Hybrid is a wise move.

This is a joke, right? :hysterical3:

Nope, not at all. Amplifiers and better speakers carry a significant amount of extra weight. In a vehicle designed for maximum fuel economy that has to be taken into account.

Back in 1999 Lincoln stopped offering the audiophile stereo system and rear headrests on the V8 models because the extra weight changed their CAFE threshold.

So yes, audio system weight can be an issue.

Nope, not at all. Amplifiers and better speakers carry a significant amount of extra weight. In a vehicle designed for maximum fuel economy that has to be taken into account.

(...)

So yes, audio system weight can be an issue.

This is not a valid point because we are talking about an OPTIONAL feature.

This might be a reason to exclude it as a standard - but certainly not to make it unavailable as an optional feature. Otherwise, why can you order the Hybrid with bigger wheels? Are they more fuel-efficient as well?

This is not a valid point because we are talking about an OPTIONAL feature.

This might be a reason to exclude it as a standard - but certainly not to make it unavailable as an optional feature. Otherwise, why can you order the Hybrid with bigger wheels? Are they more fuel-efficient as well?

I didn't say this was definitely the reason. I just explained how it *could* be a problem. And in the case of the LS the audiophile stereo WAS an option but it still counts toward CAFE weight classes. So it IS a valid point. Although in this case it seems obvious that they chose to base the hybrid on the SE not the Titanium so you get the SE audio options. I don't know why.

This is a joke, right? :hysterical3:

akirby is correct - weight of components along with power consumption and heat dissipation are important considerations when designing a high-end audio system for electrified vehicles. To cite one example, Harman International worked with Toyota to develop a new premium system for the 2012 Prius, called JBL GreenEdge, with emphasis on exactly these parameters.