Fusion Coupe?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if this is Ture, Ford is thinking of increasing the Fusion capacity by either expanding Hermosillo or having Fusion built also somewhere else ...

Since Fusion is sold in all of Americas (Brazil to Canada) it is taxing Hermosillo to capacity.

Igor

Unfortunately for the US, an expansion is planned for Hermilsilo. I could not imagine them building it anywhere else, althouh putting it at Auto Alliance would be good. If Mazda builds/buys its own plant, the Mazda 6 could be moved out of Flat Rock. Mustang sales are good, but not good enough to support two shifts

Unfortunately for the US, an expansion is planned for Hermilsilo. I could not imagine them building it anywhere else, althouh putting it at Auto Alliance would be good. If Mazda builds/buys its own plant, the Mazda 6 could be moved out of Flat Rock. Mustang sales are good, but not good enough to support two shifts

I thought Hermosillo was already done expanding.. but then again - I am no insider...

I just think, Ford would do very well offering the buyers the option of US built Fusion - it would remove some negative light off of the Fusion, and let the UAW diehards to buy it.

Igor

<< Younger buyers have influence over their families. I think if you get an affordable, high-quality desirable product in the driveway for the teenage daughter or son, parents will likewise take notice. Ford has been doing intense marketing to the youth with American Idol...unfortuately many teens and young adults don't really care what Ford has to offer. Get them what they want. >>

American Idol is for girlie men and girlie girlies.

I bought my Fusion because I wanted a four-door that fits with my generation that was built by an American manufacturer.

-- A Gen Y (lucky bastard) Fusion owner.

----

Regarding the G6 coupe -- I sure hope Ford does /not/ make the Fusion coupe look like what Pontiac did with the G6 coupe, because the G6 coupe looks very, very awkward.

Ford would be wiser to make the Fusion have bigger doors and keep the same roofline dimensions -- ala the '70s personal luxury boats.

----

Regarding the G6 coupe -- I sure hope Ford does /not/ make the Fusion coupe look like what Pontiac did with the G6 coupe, because the G6 coupe looks very, very awkward.

Ford would be wiser to make the Fusion have bigger doors and keep the same roofline dimensions -- ala the '70s personal luxury boats.

I thought Hermosillo was already done expanding.. but then again - I am no insider...

I just think, Ford would do very well offering the buyers the option of US built Fusion - it would remove some negative light off of the Fusion, and let the UAW diehards to buy it.

Igor

Let's hope so!

Really? I think that's one of GM's best-looking vehicles right now. Guess it's all subjective. I think the sedan is boring but the coupe looks great to me.

Really? I think that's one of GM's best-looking vehicles right now. Guess it's all subjective. I think the sedan is boring but the coupe looks great to me.

I have had this discussion with many people on many boards.. the G6 coupe remineds ME of the cavalier coupe.. yet others see it s completely different and find it very attractive

- it seems to be a polarizing styling, and as always, as long as you polarize evenly (or even better, more people like it than hate it) - it sells better than ho hum designs ... look at fusion, look at Vibe, look at HHR .... and there are plenty others ..... Aztec just went too far ;)

Igor

Edited by igor

I could see Ford finally making a SVT Fusion with this 2 door. Supercharge that 3.5. That would do it!

Move it to the US and I'd buy one.

Though a very tantalyzing thought, I don't think we'll be seeing a dedicated SVT Fusion anytime soon truly worthy of the name. Not enough money to go around between all these new launches and cost-cutting. However, if this information is true, then Ford does recognize that there are customers out there looking for a sporty roomy coupe that isn't a Mustang. I do strongly agree that this coupe should be more in the tradition of the 70's 2-door sedans, than an overwrought, overstyled coupe like the G6, which ended up not having as much room as a Mustang anyway.

All Ford really needs are 2 versions. One is the attention-getting Fusion coupe with a 3.5L V6 and a choice of manual and automatic transmissions, along with an optional sport package with a bodykit, bigger rims, firmer suspension, and racy gauges. The other would be the volume-leader I4 coupe for people feeding off the V6 coupe's hype.

The Zephyr coupe would basically be a repackage of the V6 Fusion coupe.

A 2 door AWD fusion is exactly what Ford needs. They need to spread the models out and get a better feel for the market at work. If it doesnt work drop the product later but dont nurf it with lacking options (cough manual trans on a 6cyl) or the inability to shift the Auto...

The same article also claimed that the Mustang was getting a complete reskin in 2008, and that is completely wrong. The rumor of a Focus coupe is bogus.

I read all about that re-skinning. That has to be totally incorrect because the revival of Mustang has just begun. Minor tweaks here and there I can see are usually called for, but a more modern look will defeat the purpose and point of the exercise! They are selling!!!!!

One word - Women. Women, specifically blue collar women will buy a door Ford coupe with FWD. Think Monte Carlo and all those "neckcar" women of husbands who drive full size pick-ups. A 4 cyl Fusion coupe can also provide a blue oval alternative to a Chevy Cobalt - Brilliant!

Ford will have trouble meeting demand - not my cup of tea, but about time form a business standpoint!

Edited by Project-Fairmont

I have had this discussion with many people on many boards.. the G6 coupe remineds ME of the cavalier coupe.. yet others see it s completely different and find it very attractive

- it seems to be a polarizing styling, and as always, as long as you polarize evenly (or even better, more people like it than hate it) - it sells better than ho hum designs ... look at fusion, look at Vibe, look at HHR .... and there are plenty others ..... Aztec just went too far ;)

Igor

count me as a fan of the G6 (coupe and convertible) styling. Though I'd say it reminds ME of (if anything) a Beretta. Comparing it to a Cavalier is just confused.

FLEX it at Oakville with the Edge.

You would think that the equipment going into Oakville would also be capable of building the Focus or any model on that chassis.

On 3 shifts with a fast line a plant could be capable of building 400k per year.

I've always been Pro-Fusion coupe...We've all discussed this previously before the Fusion debuted. Of course, provided that it is economically feasable with minimal changes. Of course, tailoring the "B" Pillar is usually the most expensive factor in that.

And I'll repeat as others have previous mentioned, there ARE people who don't want all the show and noise of a Mustang, and rather have something a bit more refined and polished.

Now, in years past. The threat of the Probe (being geared to replace the Mustang), called upon it's own death, but even then the Probe and MX-6 had VERY good sales. This time around, instead of threatening Mustang sales, it can deliberatly pick up the demographic, that the previous Tbird, enjoyed... Which was a "Personal Coupe".

Keep the trim levels simple, and nicely packaged/optioned as well.

I don't know about a wagon version, but I think Ford should do to the Fusion line what BMW does with its 3-Series and Pontiac with the G6. Sedan, coupe, hardtop convertible, available AWD, and hi-performance versions should all be sold. Maybe even give Mercury and Lincoln at least some of those versions.

I can't believe that a Mercury version isn't planned, let alone that it wasn't on the drawing board even before the Fusion coupe was!

This, to me, is a better idea brand-wise than a Mercury version of the Mustang. It fits Merc's demographic a little better ...

I agree. The Coupe version would probably skew toward a female demographic. This is Mercury's strong suit. The Merc should be geared to upscale luxury. A Fusion should be more sport oriented with a turbo 4 and manual available (See MazdaSpeed) Lincoln should get a Mustang variant with a totally differend look, top flight interior, RWD/AWD and loads of power. Mark XI anyone?

A Fusion Coupe is just not a good idea. It is some that is needed Ford has been lacking product in that segement for years.

Yes it is not just a good idea but a must if Ford wants to start capturing other buyers.

Matthew

Hey...you might want to re-write your post. I can't figure out if you think it is a good idea or a bad idea with the way have you have it written right now...

Oh and I agree a Fusion Coupe is a great idea! Ford are you listening? Get this model into production and fast!

I agree. The Coupe version would probably skew toward a female demographic. This is Mercury's strong suit. The Merc should be geared to upscale luxury. A Fusion should be more sport oriented with a turbo 4 and manual available (See MazdaSpeed) Lincoln should get a Mustang variant with a totally differend look, top flight interior, RWD/AWD and loads of power. Mark XI anyone?

The problem with Mercury is the sales numbers just wouldn't be there. Yes, it would fit Merc's new target demographic, but it would never sell at the volume a Ford version would and probably wouldn't justify the added cost. I think the previous Mercury Cougar (FWD) probably would have sold much better as a Probe replacement simply because Ford moves a lot more volume. Mercury needs solid mainstream sedans and CUV's, Ford can get away with a few more risks just based on the added volume.

A Fusion coupe would be a silly waste of product development resources, IMO. Neither the Camry Solara nor the Accord coupe are particularly big sellers and developing a 2 door Fusion would drain engineering resources from higher volume opportunities which Ford desperately needs to seize.

Edited by bystander