The Siri button comes to all cars, except Ford.

............ Since they've inherited Jobs' odd hardware fetish, you can about forget them having the corporate culture capable of *gasp* trusting a hardware manufacturer to make *choke* 'compatible' devices.

Steve Jobs is dead and Tim Cook now runs the company. Change will happen to the Apple corporate culture, but probably slowly.

Likewise, Ford will change will Mulally steps down.

No matter how strong a leader one person may be, the person following him/her will always have their own ideas on how to make things better. This is just human nature.

So (based on what I'm reading), it's a network protocol (like netbeui or tcpip). So it's sort of like a device driver. Should be an easy thing to add (as a firmware update), so long as the manufacturer bothers.

Nope - Bluetooth is the network protocol (like TCP/IP). MAP is more like an API from an application. You use bluetooth to talk to the device but the device has to support the MAP API calls. I would assume when you make the bluetooth connection they exchange profile info as to which profiles each device supports. If the phone doesn't support the MAP profile then you don't get text messaging.

It's not difficult for the phone OS vendor to add the MAP support - it's more a question of whether they think it's needed and since sync is probably one of the few devices that use the protocol it's just not a priority.

That's why when people fuss that sync can't read text messages I tell them to go complain to their phone provider, not Ford. Sync supports the protocol already.

So (based on what I'm reading), it's a network protocol (like netbeui or tcpip). So it's sort of like a device driver. Should be an easy thing to add (as a firmware update), so long as the manufacturer bothers.

If a manufactuer of a Bluetooth device wants to implement support for certain profiles, like Message Access Profile (MAP), it should indeed be able to do so fairly easily by using the Bluetooth SIG's definitions for them. The SIG currently has just over 30 different profiles defined.

Incidentally, Bluetooth profiles are represented at the top layer in the protocol stack (OSI model) and use specific parameters in lower levels of the stack:

500px-Bluetooth_protokoly.svg.png

For more information on MAP, refer to this document.

Edited by aneekr

sync is probably one of the few devices that use the protocol it's just not a priority.

Messaging Access Profile compatibility is becoming more common in OE and aftermarket in-car electronics systems. In addition to Ford Sync (only V3.2.2 [non-AppLink] or V4.0.2 [AppLink] or newer), Honda supports it in fourth gen CR-V and on the ILX; Toyota on several models equipped with Entune (and some newer Lexus models as well); BMW on most of their newer models with iDrive; and Kia on UVO equipped vehicles. Pioneer, Clarion, Panasonic, Kenwood, and Fujitsu Ten among others support MAP on a number of aftermarket head units.

I'm buying a car, and I have an iPhone. I can either have Sync..or I can get a car with Siri. Why would I choose Sync? This is a basic question. I have an iPhone, I have Siri, I like it...I want to use it in my car...Ford/Lincoln can't do that but everybody else can. What then? And this is coming from somebody who owns a Sync car and would give it up in a heartbeat if Siri could take over. It certainly depends on final execution, but I'm very interested in how this is done because this is what I've wanted since Siri debuted.

And if the car passes responsibility off to Siri, the consumer understands that Siri (or their carrier) is at fault if doesn't work to expectations.

None of the kvetching about what Apple "MIGHT" do makes any difference to the consumer that buys stuff now. I'm perfectly happy if Ford thinks it has a better system in store for next year, but I have doubts considering their track record so far.

And cars, just like Apple stuff, grow obsolete. Companies go out of business, services stop, products are abandoned...this is the way it works and if you tried to anticipate what might happen, your cars fall behind.

And I can't believe we are worried about Siri when Ford's Sync execution did untold harm to their quality reputation.

• Like 1

I'm buying a car, and I have an iPhone. I can either have Sync..or I can get a car with Siri. Why would I choose Sync? This is a basic question. I have an iPhone, I have Siri, I like it...I want to use it in my car...Ford/Lincoln can't do that but everybody else can. What then? And this is coming from somebody who owns a Sync car and would give it up in a heartbeat if Siri could take over. It certainly depends on final execution, but I'm very interested in how this is done because this is what I've wanted since Siri debuted.

And if the car passes responsibility off to Siri, the consumer understands that Siri (or their carrier) is at fault if doesn't work to expectations.

None of the kvetching about what Apple "MIGHT" do makes any difference to the consumer that buys stuff now. I'm perfectly happy if Ford thinks it has a better system in store for next year, but I have doubts considering their track record so far.

And cars, just like Apple stuff, grow obsolete. Companies go out of business, services stop, products are abandoned...this is the way it works and if you tried to anticipate what might happen, your cars fall behind.

And I can't believe we are worried about Siri when Ford's Sync execution did untold harm to their quality reputation.

So you're going to base a $30,000+ purchasing decision that you will likely live with for at least the next 5+ years on the capabilities of your $400 cell phone that you won't have for more than two? Makes perfect sense.

As I pointed out in another post, no matter what happens with 3rd party technology, the vast majority of Sync's functions will still work 20 years from now. Any guesses on how well any kind of server-based system would work?

As for Sync's "harm" to Ford's quality reputation: Ford Shows Highest Increase In Perceived Quality Or not.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 2

Messaging Access Profile compatibility is becoming more common in OE and aftermarket in-car electronics systems. In addition to Ford Sync (only V3.2.2 [non-AppLink] or V4.0.2 [AppLink] or newer), Honda supports it in fourth gen CR-V and on the ILX; Toyota on several models equipped with Entune (and some newer Lexus models as well); BMW on most of their newer models with iDrive; and Kia on UVO equipped vehicles. Pioneer, Clarion, Panasonic, Kenwood, and Fujitsu Ten among others support MAP on a number of aftermarket head units.

Good - maybe that will get the phone mfrs to step up.

Can Siri set my climate control temperature? Can Siri play music from my usb stick? Can Siri select a destination on my MFT Navigation?

Everything you can do by pressing a button on the steering wheel can be done by pressing a button on the phone. Whoop-tee-frickin-do.

• Like 2

I'm buying a car, and I have an iPhone. I can either have Sync..or I can get a car with Siri. Why would I choose Sync?

Because Sync actually, you know, controls stuff in your car, and can, like, connect to other devices.

\

You really believe that?

None of the kvetching about what Apple "MIGHT" do makes any difference to the consumer that buys stuff now.

Makes a lot of difference to companies that have to look 3+ years down the road.

You do realize that SIri won't control car functions, right? Such as turning on your seat heaters, climate, etc. that MFT controls? That button will be to activate Siri, and then Siri will do what Siri does now. And even if it did control car functions, what happens when you're out of cell service and you have to manually change the temperature? You crash your car fumbling for the controls since fumbling for your phone to push one button that is easy to locate is so dangerous?

No they don't! They will blame the car, plain and simple! I can imagine all the service calls at the dealership because the phone won't do something the customer thinks it should do. What a mess!

Saw this on TTAC:

"A Fast Company article on in-car integration of Siri, Apple’s voice activated Artifical Intelligence system, revealed that despite Apple’s usage of their brands, a few manufacturers aren’t even aware of plans to use it on their vehicles, let alone within the 12 month timeframe that Apple had suggested."

Not that carmakers are likely to reveal future product plans, it makes me wonder if Apple will force them to incorporate SIRI if they want to allow for (license?) I-Pod interface functionality.

Apple co-founder has issues with Siri

Wozniak said he wasn’t always down on Siri, who he said used to be on the mark with accurate answers to a wide variety of queries.

“I would say, ‘Siri, what are the five largest lakes in California?’ and it would come up, one, two, three, four, five,” he told Timesunion.com. “And I would ask, ‘What are the prime numbers greater than 87?’ and they would come up all in a row. That was pretty incredible.”

“Then Apple bought Siri,” Wozniak told Timesunion.com. And things haven’t been the same since.

“‘What are the largest lakes in California?’ I’d get all these lakefront properties. And I’d say, ‘What are the prime numbers greater than 87?’ And I’d get prime rib.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/business-beat/2012/06/14/apple-co-founder-no-love-for-siri/

You mean a product produced by a small company went down hill after a much larger company bought it out? Say it isn't so!

I haven't been that impressed with Siri myself (on my wife's iPhone). I prefer the voice commands with my Android tablet or my Windows Phone 7. That's not just a biased slam against Apple, it's my honest opinion. Siri just doesn't seem to get what I'm after the way the other two do, and Siri cannot understand my kids either, while the other two can.

Well, that's a separate functionality altogether. My Galaxy Nexus and my last Droid allowed me to do that, but neither support the MAP bluetooth profile for audible text reading in a vehicle.

Yes the Motorola Droid series at least since the Droid 2 does support MAP and does provide full text reading capability. When a message comes in my Sync says new message, I tell it to read message and the Sync lady reads it. I can also send back a canned response through Sync as long as I am going slow enough. It's a really cool feature. I don't think it is a feature of Android in general, but Motorola's version does support MAP and has for quite awhile.

The problem as I see it is simple....when you start labeling buttons with trade names of other companies, you run the risk that your button will become obsolete when the company either goes out of business or merges with another company ( *cough-cough*...Sirius....XM...) or gets bought out and all those names are tossed out all together (IBM Think Pad, Zenith Televisions, etc etc)

The button labeled "Sirius" in my 2012 Fusion would be better served if labeled "Sat" or "Satellite".....

Siri does something fairly important that Sync doesn't, and that's speak and read text messages without looking at the phone. Not to mention other hands free voice control options that don't exist in any car system. Right now, if you press the Siri button on the phone, it will come through the cars system, but it doesn't work well and you have to handle your phone to do it.

I would think that's a serious driver distraction, when are automakers going to

take responsibility for all these gadgets they seem to want to put in the car?

The safest thing to do whilst driving is let calls go to your mailbox or switch the bloody things off.

Edited by jpd80