Cadilla CATS

ANTAUS

It will be interesting to see how it competes performance wise with the MkZ. If the ATS is lighter then it should have an advantage, otherwise the specs seem virtually identical except for the non-AWD models driven wheels.

The styling is decent inside and out but all those "BMW 3 fighter" comments are going to come back to haunt them with every road test.

I don't think it's so much fleet sales as a lowball base price.

Possibly, but Fleet sales will be used to create an aura of success in overall sales of the new ride and rental car companies will want a luxury ride without all the high end bustle that comes with a more powerful engine. In their eyes 202 HP is plenty for a car of this size....

Possibly, but Fleet sales will be used to create an aura of success in overall sales of the new ride and rental car companies will want a luxury ride without all the high end bustle that comes with a more powerful engine. In their eyes 202 HP is plenty for a car of this size....

I guess it would serve both purposes.

• Like 1

Fleet sales, low base price... all true.

As I think about it again, they're also selling this car in Europe, and many of the projected competitors have similarly low-powered engines:

320i - 181 hp

C180 - 154 hp

A4 1.8 TFSI - 158 hp

For retail sales, I wouldn't be upset if Cadillac kept the 2.5 only in Europe (and China).

Boring. Sorry, but this does not intrigue me at all. The style, as with most all Caddy's today, is old and stale. To me, it's like those people here stating the Mustang needs a new style direction, as the retro theme is old and tired. This is how I feel about Caddy. This design theme has been carried on way too long and needs a new direction.

Not meaning to rain on the parade but

GM looks to have basically squashed a RWD platform down to make this compact sedan,

The market is going ape over it because GM managed to keep the weight out of it and make it handle.

but the big challenge will be whether Ameican buyers take to this vehicle and its cramped confines and tiny trunk.

While in a different segment, the new MKZ will be seen as an alternative and maybe one that does more in terms of space,

engine options and even a hybrid. GM seems to be pinning a lot of hopes on people really wanting an American version of the 3 series..

I can't help wondering if this car is more intended for Cadillac to break into the European and ROW makets, that would make a lot of sense.

Can't help thinking that if Ford decided to raid the parts bin and build a RWD Focus, it would be just as good if not better..

Edited by jpd80

Not meaning to rain on the parade but

GM looks to have basically squashed a RWD platform down to make this compact sedan,

The market is going ape over it because GM managed to keep the weight out of it and make it handle.

but the big challenge will be whether Ameican buyers take to this vehicle and its cramped confines and tiny trunk.

While in a different segment, the new MKZ will be seen as an alternative and maybe one that does more in terms of space,

engine options and even a hybrid. GM seems to be pinning a lot of hopes on people really wanting an American version of the 3 series..

I can't help wondering if this car is more intended for Cadillac to break into the European and ROW makets, that would make a lot of sense.

Can't help thinking that if Ford decided to raid the parts bin and build a RWD Focus, it would be just as good if not better..

No one has been able to match BMW on what they do best, but if the ATS can come at least close, they have a success. Cadillac is already hard at work on an all new CTS, and supposedly green lighted a RWD flagship sedan. Kudos to Cadillac. I hope they are a success as Lansing, MI needs the work.

I hope they are a success as Lansing, MI needs the work.

I hope this product is a success, too. Just the fact that it's a new offering in the rear wheel drive compact executive segment (offering a manual transmission, no less!) is a big deal.

But following a long period of decline in the 20th century, isn't automobile manufacturing a minor component of the Lansing Metropolitan area's economy currently? I assume that higher education, government, finance & insurance, and healthcare are by far the dominant sectors now.

I hope this product is a success, too. Just the fact that it's a new offering in the rear wheel drive compact executive segment (offering a manual transmission, no less!) is a big deal.

But following a long period of decline in the 20th century, isn't automobile manufacturing a minor component of the Lansing Metropolitan area's economy currently? I assume that higher education, government, finance & insurance, and healthcare are by far the dominant sectors now.

Certainly with the state capital there, and MSU nearby, Lansing has a viable economy. The demise of Olds didn't help, but Cadillac has a big footprint there now, and is growing in Lansing area. Lots of toney suburbs there that have lots of disposable income. German import dealers are all over the place in that area. Lansing is getting like Grand Rapids area now with a very viable, diversified economy. Now if only Metro Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw could get its act together. Way too much divisiveness in Metro Detroit with inept, corrupt political leaders that don't work together. Bright spots in Metro Detroit, but not connected in cohesive way.

i certainly give them credit for building a new RWD sports sedan, and most importantly its other facets that MAKE it a good overall sedan. They detailed the suspension and 50/50 weight distribution, overall light weight and other items that convey the message that this was built as a sporty sedan, can't say about "other" people. It will be interesting to see how this car evolves and surely makes for a good Camaro start. Both Mustang (specially Camaro) need a diet, and seems this will be the basis for the next Camaro, and supposedly we hear the next Mustang will be lighter as well.

i certainly give them credit for building a new RWD sports sedan, and most importantly its other facets that MAKE it a good overall sedan. They detailed the suspension and 50/50 weight distribution, overall light weight and other items that convey the message that this was built as a sporty sedan, can't say about "other" people. It will be interesting to see how this car evolves and surely makes for a good Camaro start. Both Mustang (specially Camaro) need a diet, and seems this will be the basis for the next Camaro, and supposedly we hear the next Mustang will be lighter as well.

The 50/50 weight distribution really got my attention. Should be a really fun, driving car with either turbo or especially 300+hp V6. Can't wait to read the comprehensive road tests and later comparos. I hope the base engine ATS rusts on dealer lots.

The 50/50 weight distribution really got my attention. Should be a really fun, driving car with either turbo or especially 300+hp V6. Can't wait to read the comprehensive road tests and later comparos.

Well, we can hope that Ford draws inspiration from this and decides where it want Lincoln to play in the entry luxury market.

By way of comparison, a V6 Mustang weights approx. 3500 lbs and a 2.0 EB would be around 100 lbs lighter.

So, 3400 lbs for an EB coupe with a Lincoln top hat and a neat little IRS set up....I think Ford could deliver that for $32K..

I hope the base engine ATS rusts on dealer lots.

You'd really have to want a RWD small car above a lot of other alternatives to buy that particular one and Cadillac should have done

more with the base model, the simple addition of E-assist or even the 3.0 V6 would have changed the way people view it...

The base ATS is an example of GM's inept view of base model buyers, a $32,000 car buyer expects more.

Edited by jpd80

Pulled as in cancelled? When did that happen?

There was a plan to use cancelled Mercury Tracer as a Lincoln....

LINK

While rumors of a compact Lincoln date back to 2008 (and the Lincoln C Concept of 2009), there was enough specific information leaked about the car to make it seem believable. The car was to be called the Lincoln MKC, and it was to be built on the new Ford Focus platform, with an emphasis on technology to set it apart from luxury rivals.

Now comes word from Ford Inside News that the MKC project has been killed off, since Lincoln is concerned that a compact offering would negatively impact sales of the midsize Lincoln MKZ.

Edited by jpd80