JD Powers lowly 28 out of 35

The article erroneously blames infotainment systems in general for causing quality drops, but it's really just MyFord Touch which was a faulty system until May 2012. No other car system released was seriously flawed. CUE might be another story based on XTS reviews. And it just goes to show you how small the quality margins have become when a minority of Ford sales (MyFord Touch equipped cars) have made such a significant impact on quality rankings. I've never seen Ford ranked this low on those charts before so I can't believe MFT is to blame entirely for this.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Pretty sure it's more than MFT. The new trucks have got issues. The Eco-Boost in particular of the new engines, the 6-speed tranny a more or less constant issue across the board.

Not sure what Ford is doing here with the new trucks. Some are losing faith, including myself.

And, it's not just the powertrain problems, which if you experience them are major. Not enough TSB's out to fix them and some of the dealers just throw up their hands. But there are paint issues beginning to spread around. Even carpet not properly installed. Air conditioning systems not working properly in the hot regions. Not to speak of the EPAS (electric steering) issues that are just now being addressed.

There's more to this than meets the eye if you don't follow the truck forums. And, the trucks are what Ford still mostly sells.

We have a quality control problem here. Or an engineering issue. Maybe both.

• Like 2

Is this after the MFT fix?

http://www.autoblog....ainment-woes-p/

This is before the MFT fix.

Even with the pre-fix MFT, buyers still prefer the hands free tech vs not having it at all acording to the same JDPower study you linked.

JDPowers: Nevermind the problems, car buyers still happier with hands-free-tech

http://www.autoblog....with-hands-fre/

David Sargent, vice president of global automotive at J.D. Power:

Sargent said Ford's cutting-edge in-car technology has proven a big hit with many customers, which is ironic considering that same technology was blamed for the company's poor showing in last month's J.D. Power Initial Quality Study.

Edited by JasonM

Pretty sure it's more than MFT. The new trucks have got issues. The Eco-Boost in particular of the new engines, the 6-speed tranny a more or less constant issue across the board.

Not sure what Ford is doing here with the new trucks. Some are losing faith, including myself.

And, it's not just the powertrain problems, which if you experience them are major. Not enough TSB's out to fix them and some of the dealers just throw up their hands. But there are paint issues beginning to spread around. Even carpet not properly installed. Air conditioning systems not working properly in the hot regions. Not to speak of the EPAS (electric steering) issues that are just now being addressed.

There's more to this than meets the eye if you don't follow the truck forums. And, the trucks are what Ford still mostly sells.

We have a quality control problem here. Or an engineering issue. Maybe both.

This thread seems like deja vu.

Yes there have been some issues with the 6-speed truck trans. Most do not have. Ecoboost issues are VERY isolated. As a matter of fact, I can find as many issues on the Chevy 5.3, as I do the Ecoboost..................... and that engine hasn't changed in ................................ forever??

The vast majority of the issues were the Powershift (it doesn't feel like a regular auto trans............... wahhhhhhhhh !!!), and MFT.

Look at the Dodge truck forums, and the Chevy truck forums. They have as many or more issues, and they sell less trucks.

Pretty sure it's more than MFT. The new trucks have got issues. The Eco-Boost in particular of the new engines,

I belong to a few boards also and haven't seen any constant problem with the EB. Most issues are the electronic steering which is not related to the EB. I've seen one post about stalling and limp mode, but that was from a wet coil pack.

I belong to a few boards also and haven't seen any constant problem with the EB. Most issues are the electronic steering which is not related to the EB. I've seen one post about stalling and limp mode, but that was from a wet coil pack.

Yeah, cheri/ck is just blowing smoke...again...

You forgot to look outside and notice that the sky, in fact, is NOT falling!

Yeah, cheri/ck is just blowing smoke...again...

You forgot to look outside and notice that the sky, in fact, is NOT falling!

The sky is clear (and not falling) in the Minneapolis - St.Paul area today. :)

Nonetheless, cheri/ck pointed out legitimate concerns that are indeed reflected in J.D. Power's IQS ratings for the 2012 F-150. Specifically, the low scores in the 'Overall Quality - Design', 'Features & Accessories Quality - Design', and especially 'Powertrain Quality - Mechanical' may give potential customers pause.

Powershift (it doesn't feel like a regular auto trans............... wahhhhhhhhh !!!)

Actually, the main problem with the PowerShift tranny I experienced in 2011 Fiesta and also in a 2012 Focus was that it felt too much like a regular slushbox designed by Ford. Namely, it exhibited inconsistent shift quality, languid downshift response, and a tendency to upshift into higher gears early. Not what I expected from a dual-clutch unit. It's too early to draw conclusions about the long-term durability of the PowerShift, but if it turns out to be like Ford designed automatics generally in that respect, that's nothing to brag about either.

The sky is clear (and not falling) in the Minneapolis - St.Paul area today. :)

Nonetheless, cheri/ck pointed out legitimate concerns that are indeed reflected in J.D. Power's IQS ratings for the 2012 F-150. Specifically, the low scores in the 'Overall Quality - Design', 'Features & Accessories Quality - Design', and especially 'Powertrain Quality - Mechanical' may give potential customers pause.

The APPEAL study seem flaky. Focus gets 2/3 stars, FIT gets 5? Sorry I've been in both, FIT seems cheesy to me.

Fords that do very well are the Mustang, Taurus and Fusion....3 different chassis, the only commonality is they are all somewhat aging designs.

Edited by timmm55

Trucks like the Ecoboost have created an interesting issue, as they have pulled the casual truck buyer back into the fold. The problem being, it is still a truck, and as such has inherant "issues." Basically, being a 6000lb brick with a high center of gravity and huge frontal area. Thus, the disappointment in the fuel economy because they cannot drive it like they can their Vette or Mustang, and still have it get great mileage.

Of course, you have the other side of this "expectations" problem. That being, when using 420lb ft of torque, it uses fuel like a vehicle with 420lb ft of torque. I know, I know, who woulda thunk it. Having driven quite a few of these trucks, the speed is addictive, and the ease of speed is ridiculous. Frankly, they make my V10 feel like a slug...................... and it is fast for a HD.

It seems alot of folks also have not bought a new truck in quite some time, and are surprised by things like electronic throttle and transmission kick down and protect the drivetrain lag (confused with turbo lag all the time, and perpetuated by stupid salespeople. If it truly is turbo lag, then I guess my V10 has turbo lag also, as it has a noticable lag when flooring it. Or, could it be.................. buffering the trans to lower the shock that alot of torque can create RIGHT NOW).

I'm sorry, but some/alot of the things I read just make me shake my head.

And there seems to be some confusion regarding "PowerShift" on the Focus related to the truck six speed trannys? It is my understanding and I have tried to learn - we really do need to buy a new truck sooner than later.

The new six speed in the trucks is a mating of two three speed trannys. And, many of the problems are due to software between the new engines and this tranny. And, not likely resolved yet. Especially with the Eco-Boost.

As I have mentioned before and guess there are many others out there "blowing smoke". Go to F150forum.com and read all night long. Don't skip the stickies - they are current. This forum has turned into a meeting place for those with problems. And hard even for you folks to ignore.

Maybe Ford is getting a handle on the issues and it is beginning to feel that way. But, I don't see any way to look at this other than the newer trucks - 2011/early 2012 have some problems.

That is why I made that earlier post about the quality ratings. There is likely more to it than meets even the "blind" eye.

• Like 1

And there seems to be some confusion regarding "PowerShift" on the Focus related to the truck six speed trannys? It is my understanding and I have tried to learn - we really do need to buy a new truck sooner than later.

The new six speed in the trucks is a mating of two three speed trannys. And, many of the problems are due to software between the new engines and this tranny. And, not likely resolved yet. Especially with the Eco-Boost.

As I have mentioned before and guess there are many others out there "blowing smoke". Go to F150forum.com and read all night long. Don't skip the stickies - they are current. This forum has turned into a meeting place for those with problems. And hard even for you folks to ignore.

Maybe Ford is getting a handle on the issues and it is beginning to feel that way. But, I don't see any way to look at this other than the newer trucks - 2011/early 2012 have some problems.

That is why I made that earlier post about the quality ratings. There is likely more to it than meets even the "blind" eye.

I'm pretty sure Gloria reads just as many, if not more, online F150 forums as you and she has a different conclusion.

I'm pretty sure Gloria reads just as many, if not more, online F150 forums as you and she has a different conclusion.

I follow a few as well, and while there are a few issues, there aren't a disproportionate number compared to previous model years. It's the typical stuff you see on a forum, nothing to be alarmed of.

FTFY...

Ford is one of the lowest rank automakers in the US, how rational do you expect people to be when they see that? We don't even understand the full extent of the problem, let alone an average consumer. How do you expect them to rationalize the scope of the problem? I'm just asking.

• Like 1

Ford is one of the lowest rank automakers in the US, how rational do you expect people to be when they see that? We don't even understand the full extent of the problem, let alone an average consumer. How do you expect them to rationalize the scope of the problem? I'm just asking.

It was in regards to jpd80's post, not any one issue in particular. Not ALL buyers understand that vehicles have problems. Some expect them to be perfect and any minor issue is the end of the world. Rational buyers realize that crap happens, and as long as your are treated well and the problem is resolved, life can still go on and everyone can be happy.