Lincoln's New Look going for Younger Crowd

I own both the Edge and MKX and there is a noticeable and valuable difference between the two, although not as significant as I expected mostly because the Edge is effectively a luxury vehicle as well.

That's more true now, but not so much on the 07-10 models. I actually liked the 08 Edge better than the 08 MKX. The only advantages other than styling were the THX stereo and cooled seats.

They're doing a much better job now.

I own both the Edge and MKX and there is a noticeable and valuable difference between the two, although not as significant as I expected mostly because the Edge is effectively a luxury vehicle as well.

I didn't know you still have the Edge. A friend had an essentially base Edge and then got a MKX. There the difference is fairly obvious, cloth vs leather for one. And 4 years newer. But a new top level Edge and MKX overlap.....but the MKX is still "the best Edge yet."

Ford's practice of dumbing down the Ford version of vehicles compared to their Lincoln equivalents is the only thing that could get me into a Lincoln. When looking at the Edge, I also took a look at the MKX since the price was not substantially more (only about $50 a month, and still less than I was paying for my previous car). In the case of the Edge vs MKX, the features the Lincoln offered did not bring with them enough incremental value to overcome the stigma of purchasing an "old person's" car as a 29-year-old.

When contemplating my next vehicle for when my lease is up in 18 months, I am leaning heavily towards a Hybrid. The new Fusion looks very nice, but the way Ford has stripped down the Fusion Hybrid to only an SE version without many of the features I want makes the MKZ the more logical choice. I have my fingers crossed that they expand their offerings in the second model year, but it could all be part of their plan to drive more younger customers to Lincoln.

It sounds like you want a fusion platinum hybrid. Looking at the build and price site, most if not all platinum equipment is available on the SE hybrid.

My 2007 Ford Edge AWD was a great vehicle. Sticker was $44.7K

My 2013 Ford Edge FWD is a much much better vehicle with a hell of more features for the money.Sticker was $43.7K

I looked at the MKX - price was about $10K more - it was AWD, I wanted to go back to FWD for better fuel econony.

The styling on the MKX is nice.. it was not nice enough for me to spend the extra cash. And I have access to A plan.

If I drove around in MKX, I would feel like I was driving an overpriced Edge. Even with all the little extras - the branding is not enough for me to spend the $$$.

If you have "deep pockets" - you can afford to drive any luxury brand you like. As I like to mind my pennies, it did not make any financial sense to me to get the MKX.

After all discounts, and my trade in - I drove my new Edge off the lot for about $26K cash taxes in.

And I am very very happy with it.

Edited by Edgy Girl

Not true on either accounts. You can't get it on the base (Premiere) model. Also the second one isn't a sunroof at all, or smaller, but a fixed glass roof like the Mustang.

It is true if you don't consider a trim level to be a separate model; after all, when it's registered, its Make and Model will be listed as Lincoln and MKZ, respectively.

Lincoln's product plans as it should be: start by copying Volvo.

I'm not sure that "perform so poorly that your parent company sells you off to another company, then get involved in a debacle with the new company's other brands, then wait 'til that new owner gets in financial trouble and sells you to an Chinese concern" is a viable business model. ;)

• Like 2

having puter problems but really want to reply...

...What I'd like to see in a few years:

8 speed auto

Top-end **2.7EB ~350hp** turbo models (EVERY LINCOLN!)

Aluminum interior trim option

fixed^

No way 40's, but upper 50's and early 60's is very likely. Maybe a sharp looking small CUV could get the 40's female though.

"We're targeting a younger demographic..." with a car like the MKZ? The primary buyers of luxury cars in their 30s and 40s are men. The MKZ will be a woman's car. Women, being the far more intelligent gender, are more prudent with their money and will hold off on luxuries like this until their 50s and 60s. So, you might gain some traction under 70, but it's going to be a lot like the ES's traction below 70. Female, dual-income, kids in college or graduated, 55-60...

re younger demographic:

had a marketing thought some time ago - might work for the MKuGa/MKG -

Like creating a slogan saying: "You're on track to success if you have this Lincoln before you turn 30"

1. Phase out the MKS and MKT...

...The MKS is completely unique...

&

7. When the brand is steady in, say, 2016/7...

9. By 2018/2019 a 1-series/A3 competitor built on a heavily modified (from now) C-platform. Cities are getting crowded pushing basically everyone into smaller and smaller vehicles globally...

wanted to respond with more to all the thought you put into your list

but will settle for:

1. I'm fairly certain the MKS will replaced by "something else" (2015)

& I said the MKS was unique and few Americans would know what to make of it when it came out (closest match: a Euro A8 with v6)...

...of course NOW,

Cadillac has copied it with the XTS

ps the "something else" will be a true flagship imho

imho those years aren't carved in stone yet and your #9 COULD be a 2020 Mercury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

having puter problems but really want to reply...

...What I'd like to see in a few years:

8 speed auto

Top-end **2.7EB ~350hp** turbo models (EVERY LINCOLN!)

Aluminum interior trim option

fixed^

No way 40's, but upper 50's and early 60's is very likely. Maybe a sharp looking small CUV could get the 40's female though.

"We're targeting a younger demographic..." with a car like the MKZ? The primary buyers of luxury cars in their 30s and 40s are men. The MKZ will be a woman's car. Women, being the far more intelligent gender, are more prudent with their money and will hold off on luxuries like this until their 50s and 60s. So, you might gain some traction under 70, but it's going to be a lot like the ES's traction below 70. Female, dual-income, kids in college or graduated, 55-60...

re younger demographic:

had a marketing thought some time ago - might work for the MKuGa/MKG -

Like creating a slogan saying: "You're on track to success if you have this Lincoln before you turn 30"

1. Phase out the MKS and MKT...

...The MKS is completely unique...

&

7. When the brand is steady in, say, 2016/7...

9. By 2018/2019 a 1-series/A3 competitor built on a heavily modified (from now) C-platform. Cities are getting crowded pushing basically everyone into smaller and smaller vehicles globally...

wanted to respond with more to all the thought you put into your list

but will settle for:

1. I'm fairly certain the MKS will replaced by "something else" (2015)

& I said the MKS was unique and few Americans would know what to make of it when it came out (closest match: a Euro A8 with v6)...

...of course NOW,

Cadillac has copied it with the XTS

ps the "something else" will be a true flagship imho

imho those years aren't carved in stone yet and your #9 COULD be a 2020 Mercury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am the current demographic!!

Mid 40s - established single person with $$ to spend...

I still assocated Lincoln with my dad!!

But I still want a cool hip ride and those punks can play on my grass anytime! ; )

Eww... I feel like you're going to lure me in for candy...and I hope "grass" isn't a euphemism for another word :)

:headscratch: It already offers a 300 HP engine. It just doesn't have a turbo.

Hence, why I made the turbo designation. It makes 300hp, but "only" 275lb-ft of torque at 4000rpms. I want that same torque output, but want it to arrive <2000rpms.

Torqy turbo engines provide a more luxurious feel than N/A engines; they just "feel" more powerful in my experience and the industry seems to agree.

Don't be bringing facts up when we're opinion-izing - is that a word?

You mean opine...

TRANSITIVE AND INTRANSITIVE VERB

state opinion: to express an opinion, or express something as your opinion
Edited by GT-Keith

That's the demographic they have now, the older buyer demographic seem to be vanishing thanks to MKZ, MKX and MKS...

So yeah, I was talking about where Lincoln want to head in terms of demographics, 40s not 30s like a previous post was suggesting..

Edited by jpd80

If I drove around in MKX, I would feel like I was driving an overpriced Edge. Even with all the little extras - the branding is not enough for me to spend the $$$.

See thats the problem RIGHT now...but looking down the road, its going to be different...just look at the new MKZ vs the Fusion.

No panoramic sunroof, V6, or heated or cooled seats in the Fusion, but you can get them in the MKZ.

I was considering a MKZ over a Fusion, but I'm looking for a more sporty car and I really like SHO, which has everything the MKZ offers at a lower price point with A plan, so in all likelyhood I'll be getting a SHO next year, unless we get surprised with a Fusion ST in the fall auto season...

See thats the problem RIGHT now...but looking down the road, its going to be different...just look at the new MKZ vs the Fusion.

No panoramic sunroof, V6, or heated or cooled seats in the Fusion, but you can get them in the MKZ.

Don't forget push button transmission, Lincoln Drive Control (electronic suspension) and THX audio.

Don't forget LED adaptive headlamps.

Oops. Good catch.

I really don't understand the negativity towards Lincoln. Right now they have as many or more vehicles for sale than they've had at any point in the last 25 years.

The MKZ is BY FAR the best luxury vehicle Lincoln has ever produced. From a feature standpoint it compares very favorably with luxury cars costing way more. Compared to the 2002 Navigator, LS or Town Car it's not even close. And it will only get better with even more vehicles the next few years.

And to think, back in 98 and again in 2000 when they gained the title of "highest" selling luxury carmaker, they did it with just 3 vehicles,

And I would hope that a car from TODAY has more features than 2002 too !!

What I meant was look at the 2013 MKZ compared to the other 2013 luxury competition - it's very competitive. If you look back at the 2002 LS or Town Car - the interiors were inferior and they did not have all of the same features as the other 2002 luxury vehicles.

Comparatively speaking the 2013 is way more competitive than any Lincoln vehicle has ever been.

Oops. Good catch.

I really don't understand the negativity towards Lincoln. Right now they have as many or more vehicles for sale than they've had at any point in the last 25 years.

The MKZ is BY FAR the best luxury vehicle Lincoln has ever produced. From a feature standpoint it compares very favorably with luxury cars costing way more. Compared to the 2002 Navigator, LS or Town Car it's not even close. And it will only get better with even more vehicles the next few years.

It's all relative to the industry, not Lincoln.

I honestly believe the best Lincoln ever made is the MKT, if you don't look at it ;).

• Like 1

I honestly believe the best Lincoln ever made is the MKT, if you don't look at it ;).

The first MKT reviews said it was better than the Audi Q7 both in terms of performance and interior quality/design/comfort.

It was a good first step as long as you only have to see it from the inside.

The first MKT reviews said it was better than the Audi Q7 both in terms of performance and interior quality/design/comfort.

It was a good first step as long as you only have to see it from the inside.

I actually prefer the interior on the 2013 MKS over the MKT now, higher grade materials throughout. I would buy the MKT if it didn't look so bad, it's such a waste!

I actually prefer the interior on the 2013 MKS over the MKT now, higher grade materials throughout. I would buy the MKT if it didn't look so bad, it's such a waste!

Agreed. I get that a risky design can turn out ugly. However, failing to address any of the issues with the 2013 MCE is inexcusable. They didn't need to wait for Wolff to tell them it was ugly. We've been doing it since 2009. Interior = good, profile = passable, front and rear clips = bad.

New headlights, grille, taillight assembly, and perhaps sacrifice panel would have gone a long, long way.