CR Still Hates MyFord/MyLincoln Touch: "Fundamentally Flawed"

The problems with the MFT are wide spread and commonly reported. I just have a hard time believing that Ford didn't know this system had serious issues before they started installing it in cars and selling it to the public. What did they expect would happen?

Oh good grief. Of course they knew it had problems. At one time there were 1500 bugs. But they did not have a backup plan for the 2011 Explorer to launch without MFT so they got stuck between a rock and a hard place so they took a gamble they could stabilize it within the first month or two after release. That didn't work. But there was no lack of testing or lack of effort trying to fix it.

Reports of problems/complaints are going to be "louder" than those of us who do like the technology

Squeeky wheels gets all the attention....

I am 1 week in - and I love the MFT. Dad has it on his 2011 - software was updated. Seems fine. Bro has 2012 Edge - his was updated seems fine.

If Ford had super strong brand equity - a lot of these issues would be put in perspective as "being a leader" in driving vehicle integrated technology forward.

Even the Apple iphone is not perfect and often flawed... the first ipad was... Apple has enough brand equity that people still line up in droves for the next release.

Building brand equity takes time - and in time, this will be seen as testing ground - Ford taking the pain for other auto manufacturers. Once it is perfected, it will be copied in droves.

Just like the BIG ASS MOON ROOF - which now appears to be offered on every other major CUV.

Edited by Edgy Girl

BTW, the wive of one of the editors of Consumer Reports happens to be a ToyotaNA Executive...Wanna bet they won't have a problem with Toyotas system ? Lead, or get left behind, and that is why the competition is now rushing out to work on similar like systems.

I would say there is no quality issues with MFT now, but there were before the update. Sure there are still some bugs, but they are not critical system wide faults that prevent the system from working or cause it to completely fail. One time I was using Nav to get to a meeting and the system crashed and restarted, that would constitute a quality issue and the ultimate form of frustration for the consumer. But design complaints do not constitute quality problems.

I will say there are some ergonomics issues with basic controls, for example changing temperature can be achieved in a variety of ways but none of them are as simple and useful as using a well-placed knob which Ford has elminated with MFT. And to get to it on the steering wheel requires a few too many menu layers and some non-conventional D-pad toggling which takes some time to get use to.

I still think they have a long-way to go on the hardware side as well, the resistive touchscreen tech is very crude and unpleasant to use for the most part. It's kinda like mashing a microwaver's touch panel. Caddy's CUE system is definitely pointing the way forward and I'm sure we'll see it from Ford (or Lincoln) in a few years, but I prefer the UI design at Ford. Right now I think Ford's UI needs design tweaking and a ton of hardware and bug fixing.

Edited by BORG

I will say there are some ergonomics issues with basic controls, for example changing temperature can be achieved in a variety of ways but none of them are as simple and useful as using a well-placed knob which Ford has elminated with MFT.

Not all MFT equipped cars have had the HVAC controls eliminated, all C segment Ford products have knobs and real buttons

6571808901_31666c01bf_z.jpg

Edited by MKII

I cannot seem to find any of CR's reports on the other manufacturers touch screen systems. CR has some reports on the other companies launching

these systems, but no actual reviews. Only MFT reviews, no Hyundai Blue Line, Toyota Entune etc.

What`s up with that.

I cannot seem to find any of CR's reports on the other manufacturers touch screen systems. CR has some reports on the other companies launching

these systems, but no actual reviews. Only MFT reviews, no Hyundai Blue Line, Toyota Entune etc.

What`s up with that.

I can't speak for the Hyundai system but as I understand it the Entune system is basically just a smartphone app that works through the screen in the console. You have to have a smartphone to utilize it. The system does not feature HVAC controls while the MFT system does and unless I'm mistaken it does not feature voice commands.. Basically all that Entune does is offer internet access through the car stereo / display screen. I have not seen any complaints about failures or issues on the Toyota forum but I attribute that to the fact that it's a pretty basic system really. It is not as expansive in its feature content as the MFT stuff. Toyota decided to stick with the KISS method.

Edited by BlackHorse

Ford's quality rankings.

Given that Ford's problems-per-vehicle haven't actually increased since implementing MFT across much of the lineup, one can conclude that there really aren't a whole heck of a lot of problems being reported with it. If it was a problem for every MFT owner in the magnitude of mass suckitude being hurled around by CR, Ford's PPV would have increased dramatically, but, it didn't.

Of course MFT is responsible for Ford's drop in quality rankings. So were the initial Fiesta and Focus tranny issues. The tranny problems are fixed now and most of the MFT issues are fixed.

Neither one is a huge problem for Ford as far as sales go.

Please provide your reference. How do you know the effect on sales? How do you know how many Powershifts are fixed? The latest "customer satisfaction" recall for the PowerShift has magnified some of the issues. Clearly you are living under a rock. Now Ford is coming out on the Forums saying there is another update to MFT coming out to resolve all the bugs somehow only the bitchers and complainers have. Guess they are only catering to the bitchers and complainers, right? Guess what, the customers have given Ford feedback and they are now coming back with the exterior temperature in MFT.

Oh good grief. Of course they knew it had problems. At one time there were 1500 bugs. But they did not have a backup plan for the 2011 Explorer to launch without MFT so they got stuck between a rock and a hard place so they took a gamble they could stabilize it within the first month or two after release. That didn't work. But there was no lack of testing or lack of effort trying to fix it.

But wait......every time someone brings up MFT in these forums, you get about 6 people waiting in the wings to berate them and make them feel bad they are experienceing problems, because you know, it's not a big deal the system is so buggy. If someone is not having problems (or ignoring them because it's impossible to NOT have problems with MFT), so neither should they, right? Ford will just come out with another update so it's OK? And you know, their quailty rating is dropping, but let's make excuses for that too. And they said they thoroughly tested the "performance upgrade". Yea right, with a blindfold on.

Complete lack of coding ability by BeSquare, yes.

Excuse, excuse, excuse. Customers don't care and they shouldn't care who coded the software. It just needs to work, and they haven't accomplished that for past 3 years the system has been out. The "performance upgrade" was another slap in the face of customers and Ford built it up in their documentation that is was going to resolve all customer complaints, glitches, and reboots. That was far from the truth and they now have to revert to "tail between the legs" until they can prove themselves again. They are producing great vehicles, but between the PowerShift transmission and MFT, it's been a huge blunder and warranty nightmare for Ford, it's dealers, and customers. Live and learn, or fail.

• Like 1

Now Ford is coming out on the Forums saying there is another update to MFT coming out to resolve all the bugs somehow only the bitchers and complainers have. Guess they are only catering to the bitchers and complainers, right? Guess what, the customers have given Ford feedback and they are now coming back with the exterior temperature in MFT.

When did any of us say Ford should stop releasing updates for MFT? When did Ford say they were going to stop releasing updates for MFT? None of us have ever said there are no bugs that no longer need fixing. I'm very pleased that Ford is continuing to release updates as they fix more issues. But fact remains that you keep overlooking or ignoring is that each update Ford has released has been significantly better than the one before.

And you know, their quailty rating is dropping, but let's make excuses for that too.

Their quality ratings haven't dropped at all. Their quality ranking has dropped, but problems-per-vehicle in the JD Power survey haven't really change at all since MFT was introduced.

The "performance upgrade" was another slap in the face of customers

You've obviously never used MFT before and after that update. It was a drastic improvement, even for my system which didn't experience many issues in the first place. Is it perfect? Nope. Did I ever say it was? Nope. Is it a lot better than it was? Yup. Can it still be better? Yup.

Edited by NickF1011

Ford has abandoned prior gen touch screen systems used in many 2011 vehicles. No updates, many bugs. What makes you think they will continue working issues on the current gen MFT system once new hardware generation is released in 2013/14? The only reason current MFT vehicles get any updates at all is because they are fully compatible with new vehicles being sold. Once that has passed, owners of current gen systems will be abandoned like 2011 MY owners have been.

The real problem is that Ford has installed a product with a 2 year obsolesence in a vehicle that needs to operate properly for 10 yrs minimum and has no idea how to support or upgrade existing installations. I wont buy another one of these integrated systems from Ford until a real service and support plan is in place.

• Like 2

I recently bought a 2013 Ford Taurus Limited and the MFT is standard. I love this car despite the critical review from CR. I was with my anti-Ford friend the other day and he was impressed by the new glass instrument panel, HOWEVER, whenever we used the Sirius radio search for a station MFT would wait almost 10 seconds to locate...everytime. I've been testing it ever since and it is still very slow. I wonder if Microsoft and Mulally had some agreement that demands input on basically most of our new vehicles. As mentioned before, CR never badmouths the competition on this technology. Oh , in addition, CR said the screen is too far away to use on the Ford Taurus. They also said the beltline is too high for visibility, but I saw the same complaint on the beltline visibility problem with the Chrysler 300...but it was either Autoblog or cars.com. Consumers would never mention that since its a negative and thus would not justify slamming the Taurus. Its all subjective and Consumers hates Ford for some reason other than MFT.

Ford has abandoned prior gen touch screen systems used in many 2011 vehicles. No updates, many bugs. What makes you think they will continue working issues on the current gen MFT system once new hardware generation is released in 2013/14? The only reason current MFT vehicles get any updates at all is because they are fully compatible with new vehicles being sold. Once that has passed, owners of current gen systems will be abandoned like 2011 MY owners have been.

The real problem is that Ford has installed a product with a 2 year obsolesence in a vehicle that needs to operate properly for 10 yrs minimum and has no idea how to support or upgrade existing installations. I wont buy another one of these integrated systems from Ford until a real service and support plan is in place.

Which touch screen systems has Ford "abandoned" other than the old Clarion nav system which was only in a handful of vehicles in the first place? My 2011 MY Edge has received updates. :poke: There has been no indication that they won't continue to release updates into the foreseeable future. Yes. There comes a time when they'll eventually stop supporting it. That's life in the software world. I don't expect any other manufacturer to do it any differently. You can't get updates for Windows 98 anymore either.

Edited by NickF1011

Please provide your reference. How do you know the effect on sales? How do you know how many Powershifts are fixed? The latest "customer satisfaction" recall for the PowerShift has magnified some of the issues. Clearly you are living under a rock. Now Ford is coming out on the Forums saying there is another update to MFT coming out to resolve all the bugs somehow only the bitchers and complainers have. Guess they are only catering to the bitchers and complainers, right?

Not once have I EVER said that there were no problems or the problems weren't real. What I did say was that some people were exaggerating the scope of some of the problems but never have I said anything bad about people claiming to have MFT problems. Not once. There are still people with problems but far far less than before and most not as serious as before.

Guess what, the customers have given Ford feedback and they are now coming back with the exterior temperature in MFT.

Bullshit. That was always planned to be added back. It was already in the code in development when the production version was released. You don't just decide to add something like that back at the last minute and it's suddenly available 2 months later. I even said the reason it was removed is that they either had a problem with it they didn't have time to fix or they just didn't have time to get it tested so they took it out and would probably add it back later.

But wait......every time someone brings up MFT in these forums, you get about 6 people waiting in the wings to berate them and make them feel bad they are experienceing problems, because you know, it's not a big deal the system is so buggy. If someone is not having problems (or ignoring them because it's impossible to NOT have problems with MFT), so neither should they, right? Ford will just come out with another update so it's OK? And you know, their quailty rating is dropping, but let's make excuses for that too. And they said they thoroughly tested the "performance upgrade". Yea right, with a blindfold on.

This is what happens. You say it's horrible and full of bugs and nobody is happy. We give you real examples of people who are quite happy with it and are experiencing no problems ONLY TO TRY AND PUT THE MAGNITUDE OF THE PROBLEM IN PERSPECTIVE. Not to suggest that nobody is having problems or there aren't still bugs.

We've said OVER AND OVER that there are bugs and some people are not happy and more work is required. But we've also pointed out that these bugs only seem to be serious for a small percentage of owners.

You have this mistaken impression that a problem has to be a problem for EVERYBODY or NOBODY and if we try to put a problem into perspective relative to the entire owner base you think we're trying to imply that there are no problems whatsoever. Nobody is saying that at all.

The "performance upgrade" was another slap in the face of customers and Ford built it up in their documentation that is was going to resolve all customer complaints, glitches, and reboots. That was far from the truth and they now have to revert to "tail between the legs" until they can prove themselves again.

That was your opinion and your expectation and it was not accurate. Ford has never said or implied that anything would resolve all complaints or glitches. That's something you and your Focus Fanatic buddies made up all on your own and now you're trying to blame Ford for it.

• Like 2

Ford has abandoned prior gen touch screen systems used in many 2011 vehicles. No updates, many bugs.

If you're referring to non-MFT Sync vehicles I think it's safe to assume that all of Ford's resources have gone to fixing MFT the last 18 months and fixing stand alone sync problems have simply not been a priority. It sucks if you're a Sync user having problems but I don't think it's fair to assume that Ford has "abandoned" anything or that they will abandon MFT in 2 years.

At some point they will no longer provide bug fixes but as long as you have the same functionality you had when you bought the vehicle (with no serious bugs) then I don't see the problem.

Pre-MFT you never got ANY updates of any kind for the infotainment systems.

So were the initial Fiesta and Focus tranny issues. The tranny problems are fixed now and most of the MFT issues are fixed.

Tranny issues still exist. Co-worker of mine recently purchased a 2012 Focus 2-weeks ago, and he's coming from the prior gen Focus. So with all that people have stated here, I had to take a ride in it. Tranny lunges/lurches and hunts for the correct gear too often. He also has MFT, and still appears to be buggy, even restarted/rebooted while in the car and I've only rode in it twice. You'd think a brand new vehicle sitting on the lot would have the latest updates of everything.

Overall the car is nice, but the MFT and tranny is making him 2nd guess his purchase. Poor guy too, cause he paid for the car in full.

But they did not have a backup plan for the 2011 Explorer to launch without MFT so they got stuck between a rock and a hard place so they took a gamble they could stabilize it within the first month or two after release.

And that's Ford's fault for making a vehicle so dependent upon an infotainment system. I'm sorry, but no vehicle should be so dependent upon such a feature. Just my opinion though, you are totally fine to disagree. To each their own.

Edited by V8-X

The vehicle is not dependent on the entertainment system, but the gigantic holes in the center stack and binnacle with little post-it note IOUs would have caused comment.

It is still dependent upon it, otherwise you'd have that unfilled space. They never designed the vehicle with other options to fill that space, so in essence, it was dependent.

snip.....

You've obviously never used MFT before and after that update. It was a drastic improvement, even for my system which didn't experience many issues in the first place. Is it perfect? Nope. Did I ever say it was? Nope. Is it a lot better than it was? Yup. Can it still be better? Yup.

So we both agree there has been issues for the past 3 years since they came out with this system. And I did own this system before and after the update--before on my 2012 Focus (which I refused to load the "performance upgrade") and after on my current 2013 Escape. I was actually one that had less issues with the old version, and prefered the old design with greater capability, better graphics design, and temperature readout.

...snip...

1.) Bullshit. That was always planned to be added back. It was already in the code in development when the production version was released. You don't just decide to add something like that back at the last minute and it's suddenly available 2 months later. I even said the reason it was removed is that they either had a problem with it they didn't have time to fix or they just didn't have time to get it tested so they took it out and would probably add it back later.

2.) This is what happens. You say it's horrible and full of bugs and nobody is happy. We give you real examples of people who are quite happy with it and are experiencing no problems ONLY TO TRY AND PUT THE MAGNITUDE OF THE PROBLEM IN PERSPECTIVE. Not to suggest that nobody is having problems or there aren't still bugs.

We've said OVER AND OVER that there are bugs and some people are not happy and more work is required. But we've also pointed out that these bugs only seem to be serious for a small percentage of owners.

You have this mistaken impression that a problem has to be a problem for EVERYBODY or NOBODY and if we try to put a problem into perspective relative to the entire owner base you think we're trying to imply that there are no problems whatsoever. Nobody is saying that at all.

3.) That was your opinion and your expectation and it was not accurate. Ford has never said or implied that anything would resolve all complaints or glitches. That's something you and your Focus Fanatic buddies made up all on your own and now you're trying to blame Ford for it.

1.) Once again, please state your citation. that's righ you don't have any internal documents to back up your claims. It makes no logical sense when they took it out they said they "moved" it to the center IP stack, a blatant lie as it had always been there before the upgrade.

2.) Everyone that owns a vehicle with MFT has bugs, issues, etc. That's a fact. The software has been written with bugs and improper testing, and Ford knows it.

3.) Let me refresh everyone's memory with some ACTUAL DOCUMENTATION, taken directly in a letter from Ford to the dealers concerning the release of the "performance upgrade" early this year:

How is the system faster? The response time of the touchscreen and the voice button is at least twice as fast as the current system. As well, the transition time between screens is significantly improved.

How is the new upgrade simpler? We have re-designed the graphics of the touchscreen by removing low priority information, using larger and bolder fonts, clearly identifying buttons, simplifying the home screen, and using a consistent grid-based lay-out for all four corners (navigation, phone, entertainment, and climate).

How has voice recognition experience been enhanced? We’ve improved the software to help ensure a better voice recognition experience. For instance, the response time when pressing the voice button is quicker, so drivers won’t experience a delay when conducting a voice request. Also, we’ve removed some command requirements, such as the need to state a street direction (i.e. “North” Telegraph Road) and extraneous artist information (i.e. Justin Bieber “[featuring Usher]”), making it easier to get what you want. And, we’ve added new features such as SIRIUS Game Finder, which allows you to simply say “Tune to the Lions game” and it will find which station is broadcasting the game. In addition, we have improved the online training materials available to customers.

STILL CRAPPY

Will this software Performance Upgrade solve your quality issues reported by JD Power and Consumer Reports? This software Performance Upgrade is the result of listening, learning and responding to our customers. Therefore we’re confident the ownership experience will be significantly improved, and the resulting third party quality testing will reflect this improvement.

WRONG

Will the system still have black screens or reboots while driving? No, we do not expect customers will experience these issues anymore.

WRONG

How do you know that these issues won’t happen again? We are confident in our testing process.

WRONG AGAIN

It is still dependent upon it, otherwise you'd have that unfilled space. They never designed the vehicle with other options to fill that space, so in essence, it was dependent.

Dependent means it won't work without it. You could put a big piece of plastic in there and the vehicle would still operate fine, it would just look like crap. No, it wasn't dependent on MFT...