New Escape with 1.6 4 Cylinder Engine Recall

I love how they try to confuse the situation in these articles by bringing up the past 2 recalls, plus the throttle one from the 1st gen units, you know, because it has so much to do with the 2013 model.

On another note, glad I bought one with the 2.0 EB as it's bugs were worked out on the Edge and Explorer. Looks like the 1.6L has some introduction pains.

Edited by svtenthusiast

Where are these engines being made? Bridgend? When was the last time the US got engines from this plant (not counting PAG product)? At this point, this is a borderline inexcusable deviation from expected practices.

As Padilla used to say: 'The customer can see it. Why can't you?'

Edited by RichardJensen

Where are these engines being made? Bridgend? When was the last time the US got engines from this plant (not counting PAG product)?

Bridgend Engine Plant is correct. All previous vehicles equipped with engines manufactured at this facility were PAG products.

Incidentally, it may make sense to manufacture badges for the word 'RECALL' and affix them to each new Escape produced.

With only 7600 models affected, at least they are catching the problems before it turns into 50k, or 100k units. Not the massive recalls of just a while ago for Ford.

That's the important point. It's undeniably unfortunate, and there will be future problems, too. But it sure is good to see how fast Ford will respond. We don't need any more 3.8 intakes. :)

Guinea pigs.

Never buy a first year, all-new product. Ever.

Honestly until the Escape it hasn't seemed to be an issue the last 5 years. I can't remember another product launch for Ford with as many issues as this thing has had.

Ps. Also glad to see you posting again. Production insight is always appreciated.

Guinea pigs.

This doesn't have to be true and I generally reject it, but the new Focus and Escape are two good examples where that axiom holds true. Actually, every globally produced Ford has had significant problems, including the original Escape and Focus (and substantially worse than what's going on now). So I would say it's wise to avoid any globally produced Ford for the first year, including the new Fusion and MKZ. They have never had a smooth launch with any such product. Of course, it's up to you if you wish to put up with the nuisances of recalls and bug fixes.

Edited by BORG

A contact I have in Ford engineering (Dearborn) had one comment about the 1.6L (I'm paraphrasing), "if it's designed or built by the Brits, it's crap. They have no idea what they're doing."

Probably a good thing that a majority of Fusions will be built with the 2.5 at this point, which may explain why Ford rolled back a bit on a standard 1.6L in the SE models while making it virtually standard on the cheaper Escape.

Edited by BORG

Yeah, my 05 Five Hundred burned me good.

Seat heater harness pinched - warranty 0$

CVT Surge - TSB - Warranty -0$

Gas tank straps - recall - 0$

Not perfect, but not enough to scare me from buying another first-year product.

Yeah, my 05 Five Hundred burned me good.

Seat heater harness pinched - warranty 0$

CVT Surge - TSB - Warranty -0$

Gas tank straps - recall - 0$

Not perfect, but not enough to scare me from buying another first-year product.

I had 3 Lincoln LS's (2000, 2002, 2005), the 2005 was the only one that gave me persistent and significant (towed away) headaches. My 2007 MKX and MKZ were also nearly faultless, although both had the leaky Power Take-Off assembly problems (AWD component). The 2009 Mercury Mariner was probably the poorest quality Ford I've ever owned and that was far from 1st year, and I know my neighbors had colossal problems with his 2008 Escape (so much so he never bought another Ford). In many ways, 1st year can be the highest quality, and then the decontenting happens and the quality sinks. However, then there is my 2011 Lincoln MKX with MLT which was a total early-adopter's nightmare. Because of it, my 2011 MKX made more warranty trips than any other car I've owned, but it was a single non critical issue which I don't categorize in the same way.

Edited by BORG

Says who?

The production balance is scheduled that way. And unlike the Escape, you can get a fully loaded Fusion with the 2.5L which cuts the price by $800 so there is tremendous incentive to stick with the 2.5L form when this market tends to be very price sensitive.

Edited by BORG