Any guesses for the first 2013 Fusion review?

MineralstangGT

Jalopnik tests the Hybrid

original.jpg

From a design standpoint, it really is. The new Fusion looks like nothing else in its class, and like Martha Stewart might say: that's a good thing. Normally, when I find an attractive car, I make some sort of remark like "dat ass" or "EHMAHGERD!," but the new Fusion is just straight up pretty. I want to kiss it right on that gorgeous grill and make tender but gentle love to it.

When I stepped in for my drive around Manhattan, the first thing that struck me was the sheer quality of the interior. All the touchpoints are soft and the car just feels solid

http://jalopnik.com/5944999/ford-fusion-hybrid-looks-like-an-aston-martin-and-isnt-boring-to-drive?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

• Like 2

What The Truth About Cars has to say about the new Fusion...............The Fusion is a car that younger buyers will want because it looks like an Aston Martin, and older buyers who want something more exciting than vanilla – but not too much more. The Fusion could be powered by a hamster in a wheel and drive like an oxcart, but its design is strong enough to attract the attention of car enthusiasts and more importantly, people in the market for new cars, who want to make some kind of statement about whatever image they want to project but can’t or won’t shell out for something with a foreign badge. Believe me, there are tons of those consumers out there. And now they have an option besides a used luxury sedan that they won’t have to justify to their peer group.

The Camry, Accord and Altima will likely maintain their grip on the upper echelons of the market. After all, boring sells and this car may be a bit too adventurous for a certain class of buyer. But the Fusion will doubtlessly build on the previous generation’s success, and more importantly, get people talking about the brand, thanks to a mid-size car.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/09/on-the-new-ford-fusion-design-and-homogeneity/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

http://www.thestar.c...on-by-its-cover

Anyone read this review yet?? Has me concerned....

I'm not too concerned with Mr. Kenzie. His comments remind me how ALL writers are biased in one way or another and he wears it on his sleeve. Just in the first sentence he makes it sound like Ford is cribbing from Mazda which is not the case period. It was a collabrative effort from both parites for mutual gain. Enough said.

You should not be concerned. This is nothing more than personal preference. There is no way the interior feels or looks cheaper than the competition. If it did then more reviewers would be noting it and they are not. He just doesn't like it and seems incapable of separating objective from subjective complaints.

Note the totally different opinion from TTAC (and they hate Ford):

Honda, Toyota, and Volkswagen have all obviously cut corners in pursuit of lower costs. The materials inside the new Fusion are much nicer than in any of them. The impact of CEO Alan Mulally’s “One Ford” imperative, due to which this car must be competitive in Europe as well as North America, is evident. Aside from a trio of LCD panels, there’s nothing flashy or overtly luxurious—there will be the Lincoln MKZ for this. But the parts seem solid, look precisely assembled, and feel soft to the touch in all the places that count. Within the segment, only the new Malibu might do better.

he's the only one that has complained about the interior of the car?!?

I like this reply to his article:

I'm guessing you were run over by a Ford when you were younger and your still angry about it. Out of the 20 or so reviews I've read about the fusion, you are the only, and I mean the ONLY person to give it a negative review.

LOL

I'm really annoyed that the trunk hinges are so big and intrusive now. It's not a deal breaker for me but it looks too bulky with the covers and all. Did they also get rid of the trunk mounted handles that fold the rear seatbacks down? I didn't see them in any pictures and all the competitors seem to have them now.

All of your comments make me feel better about the interior.

However, what about some reviewers mentioning visibility as an issue? I hope I didn't jump the gun by ordering one before driving it...

Rear visibility is somewhat reduced on a lot of new cars. If you're concerned go check out a current Fusion or Taurus - I don't think it would be any worse. But honestly most new cars will be similar and it's something you quickly get used to.

I would think that if you ordered the car with the rear view camera this concern is not really a big deal. When driving forward all you really need to be able to see is if there's a car behind you. I drove both the new 2013 Escape and 2012 Focus and never had any issues with the pillars getting in the way. Obviously the size is what it has to be for safety reasons. I'm sure with the BLIS system and all the sensors on this car most of these concerns will pass once you get used to driving the car.

Edited by JSKershaw

As far as I know it's Titanium trim stuff only..

And as for the reviews, I'm pretty happy about what I've read so far, I don't think anything has made me regret my order in any way. This is going to be a great car. Mind you, I do drive a Turbo V6 Nissan 300xz in the summer for a toy, so the power wont compair, but, in a daily driver, I'm not concerned about the reviews based on 0-60 times, and top speeds. Just want a nice, new comfortable car, with great features, a sporty look and have it a lot better on fuel than my V8 Explorer, that gets 14mpg highway aha.

As a long-time mid-size Ford buyer and driver, I must say I'm not impressed at all with the 2013 Fusion, especially the interior. I haven't actually seen one in person yet; my opinion is only based on photos and online videos so far. I'm not a fan of the high beltline, the odd angles of different sections of the dash and instrument cluster, the wide center console that my right knee would probably rub against, or how Ford has reverted back to the old-fashioned trunk lid hinges that take up much of the usable width of the trunk. I really don't like the extreme sloping rear window. Can you imagine how difficult that's going to be to clean on the inside?

I may feel differently once I sit inside one, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

As a long-time mid-size Ford buyer and driver, I must say I'm not impressed at all with the 2013 Fusion, especially the interior. I haven't actually seen one in person yet; my opinion is only based on photos and online videos so far. I'm not a fan of the high beltline, the odd angles of different sections of the dash and instrument cluster, the wide center console that my right knee would probably rub against, or how Ford has reverted back to the old-fashioned trunk lid hinges that take up much of the usable width of the trunk. I really don't like the extreme sloping rear window. Can you imagine how difficult that's going to be to clean on the inside?

I may feel differently once I sit inside one, but I doubt it.

How difficult it is to clean the rear window?? Jeez.

I simply ignore anything anyone says thats negative about this car because its either (1) not as important as they make it seem (certainly not a dealbreaker) or (2) a subjective opinion based on poor past experiences (if any at all). If 100 people say global warming exists and 1 person says it doesn't..there will always be people that attach to that 1 person..but the rest of society knows the truth.

A lot of these aesthetic complaints are merely opinions. Simply put... opinions. Not everyone is going to like/love the car and that's the simple truth. I know I'm in the minority here, but I have had the privilege in getting to look and sit in a 2013 Fusion back in August. After seeing it in person convinced me that this was the car for me. The next day I went to the dealership and placed my order. Granted I saw the Titanium model, but I knew that I loved the look and interior space of the car. I still can't believe that I placed an order without driving it first. This is a ballsy move on my part. But one that I don't believe I will regret. After watching and reading most of these reviews I think I made the right decision.

I can assure you that it doesn't feel tight or look cheep. I did see the Sony center stack, and not the one that is in the SE and Hybrid, but I don't think it's a big deal. That's basically the difference (except for the 19inch wheels, push to start, and spoiler). I assure you the interior materials are really nice and the soft touch everywhere is a really nice addition. The leather seats feel nice and firm and also the thickness of the leather felt durable and comfortable. This is going to be a huge upgrade from my 2005 Mazda3 GT, and I can't wait!!!

I still want to know if the dual integrated exhaust is mated with the 2.0 engine itself or if it's just on the titanium trim. The more I am looking at it, I don't need the titanium trim, but would love to have dual exhaust/the look of integrated in the bumper.

I think as long as you get the AWD 2.0L engine you get the dual exhaust. I remember seeing a pic or video of an SE with the dual exhaust. Once I find it I will post it here.

Edited by JSKershaw

I know I'm in the minority here, but I have had the privilege in getting to look and sit in a 2013 Fusion back in August. After seeing it in person convinced me that this was the car for me. The next day I went to the dealership and placed my order. Granted I saw the Titanium model, but I knew that I loved the look and interior space of the car. I still can't believe that I placed an order without driving it first. This is a ballsy move on my part. But one that I don't believe I will regret. After watching and reading most of these reviews I think I made the right decision.

Yes, if you experienced "love at first sight" with this car, then you absolutely made the right decision. It happened to me back in '04 when I first saw the '05 Mustang in person. I hope your order arrives quickly....I know that wait is agony! But it'll be worth it because you're going to enjoy the car for many years.

• Like 1