POLL: sold order priority, allocation problems

ford4v429

what would you expect to see if buying?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. how would you like to see your order accepted?

• process ALL retail orders in order recieved(commodity issues still apply)
    • in order by dealer size/allocation level only- customer wait is unimportant

LMAO...I WAS!...hahahahaha....heres another...why give an ETA if its no where near accurate?.....ARRRRRRG!, my Fiesta, due 6/14...oh thats today...is STILL DRINKING MARGUERITAS AND EATING HEAD TACOS!

Wow, I thought you were talking about my last trip to Mexico. Except for me it was drinking margaritas, eating tacos and getting hea....ooops, let's keep it PG. :shades:

I'm not trying to make problems for anyone but this is why more information needs to be available. I stopped by another dealer (not the dealer I ordered from) four weeks ago and took these pictures of a regular dealer stock 2011 V6 Mustang.

While waiting for delivery of my car in April and May, I began tracking the delivery of GT500s. What became clear was that deliveries of dealer stock orders (which then were often put up on eBay with ADMs) were continuing while customer orders, often with the exact same build date, were being held for weeks longer due to these rumored QA holds.

It's not hard to imagine what conlusions customers draw from this and why they might be upset.

• 2 weeks later...

All anyone wants right now is to be informed considering the magnitude of making the decision on such a large purchase.

Amen to that...that was/is/looks like it will be forever the disconnect that Ford seems unconcerned with- they will survive without 100% happy customers anyways, but when a lot of their most enthusiastic/loyal buyers feel wronged its still not good.

Its a big purchase, its a big freakin deal to buyers that just want to know where they stand...theres CERTAINLY room for improvement. hope you 2011 GT guys get your cars or at least a real ETA soon- and hope maybe Ford can figure out a way to make the financing delays work out to save some lost sales/lost customers...

Tim

Time for an update. I ordered nearly 16 weeks ago and I'm still waiting while some people have their ordered cars in as little as four weeks. Quality is one thing but this is ridiculous. Never again. 16 weeks? If it takes more than 12 weeks to fix a car that was manufactured in two days, I'm not so sure I want it anyway.

Edited by fritzOSU03

• 5 months later...

put this thread up over 5 yrs ago...5 yrs and 2 days ago I picked up my 06 after 5 months of waiting (3 months for the first on that got smashed at delivery, not quite 2 more for its replacement to arrive). Still love the car (its hibernating again), still curious if Ford ever rethought their ordering/prioritizing system...anyone from Ford in here that knows if the system has been made more customer friendly in the past 5 years?

I heard 'vehicle visibility' to the dealers helped a little in getting 'Kzinti-like' info to the dealers, but still often read complaints about the customer phone 'support'...Fords done a lot right lately, but theres still a few headscratchers to me:

1) will orders ever be fair to the actual Ford buyers over big volume dealers?

2) will the phone support ever give anyone a feeling of really not being a waste of time?

does anyone at ford realize or care if customers dont like the status quo?

and although off topic, gotta still add:

3) why didnt the EB 3.5 and a 6 speed go into the panthers?

4) why hasnt the ranger been updated?

these things seem (to me anyway) to be no-brainer ways of helping folks get the Ford they want, and at little cost to Ford...

Heavens, I must have bought too many Fords and too many other cars in general.

It has never been a problem getting Fords anywhere in Texas or any other brand for that matter. I have ordered all my personal cars. Fleet cars are almost always in stock at the Dealers (usually just 4 key dealers for that).

I never take a dealer trade car unless it is a known dealer from a Fleet Pool for a fleet transaction. There are way too many dealers in our area that butcher cars for a retail trade.

As far as deposits go, about half the dealers request them, and those that do always return them if the order is botched. Even dealers that do take a deposit always return the check when the car comes in; they say it just messes up their paper work.

Thanks for explaining the DORA. I had no real idea what that was/is, even though I am sure it had been explained to me before. AFAIK, all the Fords I have ordered have had that on it. Most of the dealers in these parts with call and provide dates for; order accepted (or changes), build date, shipping date, at the Houston rail yard, arrival at the dealer, ready for pick up. Seems half the time the truck/car will be at the dealer one day prior to the day before the computer systems say it is.

Any time there has been a delay (parts, colors, interior trim, whatever) - they dealer has always called me.

Ford, Toyota, Honda have always called when the car comes in, to allow me to inspect it before make ready. This is with all the tape, Styrofoam, and other shipping stuff still on it. One of the F150s few years back had one of those square Styrofoam protectors on the front bumper. Something had pierced the bumper threw the middle of the Styrofoam protector; almost could not see it. The dealer and I saw it at the same time. The front bumper was replaced before I picked up the truck the next day. Oh yes, the dealer had me sign a statement saying “I knew the front bumper was replaced” – that as fine with me.

Edited by HoustonPerson

put this thread up over 5 yrs ago...5 yrs and 2 days ago I picked up my 06 after 5 months of waiting (3 months for the first on that got smashed at delivery, not quite 2 more for its replacement to arrive). Still love the car (its hibernating again), still curious if Ford ever rethought their ordering/prioritizing system...anyone from Ford in here that knows if the system has been made more customer friendly in the past 5 years?

I heard 'vehicle visibility' to the dealers helped a little in getting 'Kzinti-like' info to the dealers, but still often read complaints about the customer phone 'support'...Fords done a lot right lately, but theres still a few headscratchers to me:

1) will orders ever be fair to the actual Ford buyers over big volume dealers?

2) will the phone support ever give anyone a feeling of really not being a waste of time?

does anyone at ford realize or care if customers dont like the status quo?

and although off topic, gotta still add:

3) why didnt the EB 3.5 and a 6 speed go into the panthers?

4) why hasnt the ranger been updated?

these things seem (to me anyway) to be no-brainer ways of helping folks get the Ford they want, and at little cost to Ford...

1. There is a retail system. Retail allocation is set aside seperate of the normal allocation process. Dealers can use this system unless they abuse it. There is a monthly list of offenders and those dealers will not get additional allocation for their retails. Hopefully they earn enough to cover their retail customers. It will cover most of the vehicles, except GT500 and Boss 302.

2. No idea.

3 and 4 - dead platforms - no reason to invest in them.

Edited by Marginal Economist

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I waited 8 1/2 months for my Mustang. It was ordered in Mid March and I just received it a week and a half ago.

During this entire wait, my dealer could give me no meaningful information about when I would get my car. Since I went through a model year, I had to change the color and endured a price increase of about $1,000.

The only line of communication was through this forum with the help of Kzinti.

When I went to the dealer with more information than they could get about the progress of my car, they were astounded. I think its ridiculous that the dealer is not getting the information needed to help keep their customers informed.

Since I live in the northeast you can imagine that It wasn't the best time to receive a brand new Mustang GT convertible. ( It snowed the day after I got the car) but I am still happy its here. However,

The allocation process that caused such a long wait is incredibly poor customer relations. If I order a car and pay a deposit, my car should be built in the order that it was received. PERIOD. To do anything else is patently unfair and therefore not conducive to good business relationships.

My point is that I don't have a complaint with my dealer ( I just feel bad that they are kept in the dark by Ford) But I do have a complaint with the FOMOCO because of the frustration endured waiting for my car to be delivered.

Now that I have the car. I enjoy it. I like it even more than I thought I would BUT and its a BIG BUT, I will have serious reservations about buying another FORD because of their lack of interest in the final consumer of their product. It they care about us than they will do away with the useless allocation process and realize that a car that is ordered is a car that is sold and that it should be delivered without any unnecessary delays or unfair distribution policies. By the way, my last three new vehicles were Fords: 95 Explorer, 97 Explorer and 99 Explorer all purchased from the same salesperson as my new Mustang. I think I've earned some loyalty and respect from Ford. Roscoe <_<

• 1 year later...

Just saw this in another thread, just gotta say to whoever got these changes implemented, THANK YOU.

Ford already prioritizes retail orders over dealer stock in the ordering system

part of the Retail Order Verification Program that required dealers to upload a copy of the customer's driver's license along with a signed buyers order to the verification website... after which the retail orders would be scheduled above the dealer's available allocation.

thats fixed exactly what a lot of folks were so upset about a few years back, I havent shopped for a car in a while, and this was first I'd heard of it- very glad to hear!

I see a lot of ford social folks assisting folks on various forums too, not quite Kzinti's level of 'friend at the factory' rapport with customers, but still they seem sincerely helpful, and very appreciated.

Good job Ford :)

Unfortunately, the Retail Verification Programs are only in place for several months, usually the first few months of an-all new vehicle or Model Year. In addition, the Retail Vertification Programs are only in place and available for selected models. It's been a big help but still doesn't go far enough. Otherwise, the regular allocation and scheduling system and processes are in place with Retail Orders always prioritized ahead of Dealer "Stock" or "Demo" orders. As for communications issues with dealers... there is a lot of information available to Ford Dealers regarding commodity issues, scheduling matters, order status updates, etc. The person at the dealership managing the new vehicle order bank just has to know what information is available, where to access it and then communicate any updates to the Sales Manager, Sales Representative and retail customer.

Unfortunately, the Retail Verification Programs are only in place for several months, usually the first few months of an-all new vehicle or Model Year. In addition, the Retail Vertification Programs are only in place and available for selected models. It's been a big help but still doesn't go far enough.

if its in place, apparently it dont violate NADA 'rights', why dont they just keep it...seems 'as it should be'.

Otherwise, the regular allocation and scheduling system and processes are in place with Retail Orders always prioritized ahead of Dealer "Stock" or "Demo" orders.

at least this has been done- the way regional allocation used to allow florida dealers to cut in line ahead of guys like me in ohio or elsewhere, was beyond frustrating. my 06 order was put in the morning the order banks opened, saw orders placed weeks later get vinned in 2 days, my vin was 34068 (that was the one that got smashed getting off the hauler- interestingly, it was sold in west virginia as a demo, with no damage disclosure) and I was one of the lucky ones...some guys waited 8+ months for a allocated priority 10 order to get vinned, all the while stock for florida was spilling on to ebay...

As for communications issues with dealers... there is a lot of information available to Ford Dealers regarding commodity issues, scheduling matters, order status updates, etc. The person at the dealership managing the new vehicle order bank just has to know what information is available, where to access it and then communicate any updates to the Sales Manager, Sales Representative and retail customer.

I was told about 'vehicle visibility' being added to get *some* of the KZINTI level of info thru dealers- but yeah, far too often once the sale is made they are pretty unconcerned...they sell things everyday that amount to annual wages for a lot of folks, its 'normal' to them- they all too often forget SOME buyers are looking for their 'dreamcar' or simply have logistics concerns with when to get rid of their current car/expect the new one to be available... then theres those idiots like me that were totally obsessed with 'wheres my car' looking everywhere for answers- now I'm glad that first mustang got smashed, had I gotten it, it woulda owned me...how in the world I ended up with two JUST like it, and another (v6) otherwise just like it is a testament to Ford building a very desirable car- but it certainly was a royal pain in the butt letdown ordering that first one.

glad Ford has made some good changes. I talked to a lot of folks from regional up to vice president levels, was kinda surprised they were not only understanding, but in agreement with wishing to schedule retails ahead of stock if they had a choice...apparently they have finally pulled things more inline with being fair to customers, good for everyone, especially buyers and a little to smaller dealers..

I still like the suggestion someone made 7 yrs ago on this thread for a 'button' on the 'build/price' page that says 'BUY MY FORD'...seems so simple, still wish they had a way to do it...and even as helpful as the ford social folks are, I still think they'll never hold a candle to Kzinti's idea of simply giving folks honest up to date status on where their major purchase is currently at. he kept a lot of us 'waiters' at least somewhat sane, and surely saved a lot of sales that woulda walked away if we'd been stuck with only the old "customer service". Ford Social forum helpers are a step in the right direction, but still- the original 'friend at the factory' was beyond cool to a lot of us.

Tim

• 1 month later...

I waited 8 1/2 months for my Mustang. It was ordered in Mid March and I just received it a week and a half ago.

During this entire wait, my dealer could give me no meaningful information about when I would get my car. Since I went through a model year, I had to change the color and endured a price increase of about $1,000.

The only line of communication was through this forum with the help of Kzinti.

When I went to the dealer with more information than they could get about the progress of my car, they were astounded. I think its ridiculous that the dealer is not getting the information needed to help keep their customers informed.

Since I live in the northeast you can imagine that It wasn't the best time to receive a brand new Mustang GT convertible. ( It snowed the day after I got the car) but I am still happy its here. However,

The allocation process that caused such a long wait is incredibly poor customer relations. If I order a car and pay a deposit, my car should be built in the order that it was received. PERIOD. To do anything else is patently unfair and therefore not conducive to good business relationships.

My point is that I don't have a complaint with my dealer ( I just feel bad that they are kept in the dark by Ford) But I do have a complaint with the FOMOCO because of the frustration endured waiting for my car to be delivered.

Now that I have the car. I enjoy it. I like it even more than I thought I would BUT and its a BIG BUT, I will have serious reservations about buying another FORD because of their lack of interest in the final consumer of their product. It they care about us than they will do away with the useless allocation process and realize that a car that is ordered is a car that is sold and that it should be delivered without any unnecessary delays or unfair distribution policies. By the way, my last three new vehicles were Fords: 95 Explorer, 97 Explorer and 99 Explorer all purchased from the same salesperson as my new Mustang. I think I've earned some loyalty and respect from Ford. Roscoe <_<

Let me add my sentiments to this as well. Lincoln is having the same communications problems. NO COMMUNICATION, not setting of expectations, nothing! When I have to email the CEO of FORD to get a manager who can track down my order you know something is wrong. Commericals to announce the MKZ - 5 million dollars, Rebranding Lincoln to The Lincoln Motor Co - 10 million, not communicating with your Pre Order customers - PRICELESS!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately, the Retail Verification Programs are only in place for several months, usually the first few months of an-all new vehicle or Model Year. In addition, the Retail Vertification Programs are only in place and available for selected models. It's been a big help but still doesn't go far enough.

I was wondering why my saleswoman was asking for my DL when I ordered my SHO back in February....this explains that!

• 3 weeks later...

MTGilby...good luck to you. I ordered a Fusion Hybrid Ti the first week in Dec. 13 weeks later the dealer could not tell me anything but just told me it would be built but couldn't tell me when. I took my deposit and found another dealer who promised to stay on-top of the order and keep me in the loop. Seems to me that Ford should get on board with communicating to their customers that are ordering cars to keep them informed through the process.

• 1 year later...

How come Ford couldn't bump an allocated vehicle for one that has been purchased. I did a pre-trade affidavit and traded in 2 vehicles valued well over 50 k. Dealer ordered these 2 trucks the same day, (Vin# 49791 an allocated vehicle is has been delivered) and (Vin# 49792 a customer purchase"paid for" not delivered). There is no reason why these 2 are weeks apart.

The dealer has control over which retail (sold) vehicles get built first as well as which dealer stock vehicles get built first within that dealer's allocation. Retail (sold) orders should be priority 10-19 while dealer stock should be 20-79. This ensures that within a dealer's allocation retail orders are built before dealer stock. If the dealer plays games with priorities there is nothing Ford can do about it. The only reason a stock vehicle would be built before a retail order is if the parts for the retail order were not available in that allocation period or the dealer fudged the priority.

The exception is a new vehicle prior to the OK to buy being given and that's been discussed already.

• Like 1

If it weren't for getting updates via here, I'd have been in the dark. I'd contact the dealer with the info I found out to keep THEM up to date. I was even tracked my car while on the R/R car... See my order to delivery times below.

Edited by shaggy314