2013 Fusion test drive

Took out a 2013 Fusion SE with Ecoboost 1.6L for a test drive. Liked it overall, but did not care for the center console at all....felt like it was gigantic and intrusive into the seating areas compared to my 2012 SEL and the cup holders now are side by side as opposed to fore/aft....to me, it seemed like the cup itself was too far back (Yes, brought my travel mug with me) Another issue is the smallish trunk opening. If no wagon is going to be made available, at the very least, give us a hatchback version....minor gripes indeed, but some of the notables from a guy on his second Fusion. I previously owned a 2006 SE with the 3.0L V6...my 2012 has the 2.5L I4 6 speed automatic....

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

My two complaints, exactly. There's no need for the center stack/console to be so intrusive, and the trunk lid is ridiculous. Even if the size of the opening can't be changed, the design of the hinges must be changed to allow the rear deck lid to lift much higher than it does. With the current extremely poor design, the lid only lifts as high as my shoulders and I would have to duck down below it to get anything in and out of the trunk. On my 2012, the lid raises much higher and out of the way.

Hmmm I had no problems with the trunk opening, but then again I barely use mine and I've been living with a Mustang for the past 6 1/2 years and I don't expect to get much of anything in it to start with so, I guess my expectations are alot lower then yours...

Just wait til you have to start dealing with strollers! :shades:

Single stroller stays in my Fusion, double stroller stays in the Escape.

Hatchback would be preferable to the wagon. Virtually the same lines as the sedan but with more useful and accessible trunk space.

Agree 100%....for some reason, wagons do not sell well in the North American market place, but as Focus has proven, hatchbacks do sell quite well. I would consider a hatchback version of Fusion in a second if I can get one in the USA....keeping fingers crossed that Flat Rock produces one....especially seeing as they already have the tooling for it.

Edited by twintornados

The only thing I'd get rid of on the Hatch is the wiper. It looks to have the same slope as the sedan, so no need for it. It definitely looks like an eyesore, IMO.

Hmmm...lots of dirt accumalates on those type models and reason for the wiper. Really a must. Downside though is another wiper to replace, another electric motor that can malfunction out of warranty, and then you do end up with no wiper as the dirt does accumalate faster than on sloped sedan rear window.

I think I will be buying one no matter what, but the hatch option would be great. I'm just not going to hold my breath for Ford to bring that variant (or the wagon for that matter) over here. I'm looking at buying next year though, so who knows.

If they're going to introduce something in 2013 it will most likely be announced no later than April at the NY auto show if you can wait that long.

That would definitely be a timeline I could wait for. I was looking at ordering in April/May at the earliest anyway.

Major auto shows where that type of announcement is likely would be LA in November, Detroit in January or New York in April. If it's not announced by New York it ain't happening in 2013.

And even if they do announce something, it'll be at least 6-12 months before production starts.

Not necessarily. It could be as little as 2 months or as late as 8 months. If it's going to be close to a year then they'd probably wait for a later show to announce it.

And even if they do announce something, it'll be at least 6-12 months before production starts.

I don't see the 6-12 month lead time since Ford already makes the hatchback version in Europe....they could easily import the stampings and related interior parts needed to produce the hatchback in Flat Rock....One Ford rocks!!!

I don't see the 6-12 month lead time since Ford already makes the hatchback version in Europe....they could easily import the stampings and related interior parts needed to produce the hatchback in Flat Rock....One Ford rocks!!!

Yes, but the new Mondeo doesn't start production until the end of 2013, so even if they did this we're still looking at 6 months.