Upgrade SE Tail lights?

deadman64

Should be a very easy swap

Would my dealer just do that? Does it effect my warranty? I plan on kind of complaining to my dealer about how this wasn't apparent (I still wouldn't know if I never found this forum) and may try to get them to meet me half way with a free install.

So is this even 100% confirmed? Or we just going by one person's car vs. one photo of someone elses car? Are the part numbers different between the Titanium and the SE?

I could confirm this in person between two cars, but the Titanium is about 40 minutes away from the SE lol

So is this even 100% confirmed? Or we just going by one person's car vs. one photo of someone elses car? Are the part numbers different between the Titanium and the SE?

I could confirm this in person between two cars, but the Titanium is about 40 minutes away from the SE lol

Yeah saw a wholeeee bunch of S and SE's at a dealership and none of them have anything other than reflectors in the red area. It's a titanium only feature apparently.

Edited by DarkeRetribution

Ew, that's rather rude. I'd imagine, give it a few months after these are properly rolled out, and we'll be able to get parts cheaper, and/or aftermarket for sure.

Yeah because right now...to change the tail lights and order the official parts yourself will cost you $800-$1000 dollars....honestly that's what's really disgusting lol.

FordParts.com has them listed as $333 for the outer part and $182 for the inner part per side. These are the more expensive lights, so I am assuming they are the Titanium trim. The other series of taillights that are shown are $192 for the outer and $97 for the inner part. Since those are the cheaper ones, it most likely the one that only has the reflector.

• Like 1

And it's certainly not something dealers would advertise...it would take away from any trim other than a titanium.. and thats not what fords expecting to sell the most of.

Yeah really....do other new cars have hidden features from trim to trim or is this something sketchy ford does?

Looks like I'm gonna be waiting for the factory LED tail lights to come down in price or do something different, because 1000 bucks for tail lights is ridiculous.

I didn't even consider tail lights needing to be weighted into my decision since this below is clearly not a Titanium:

2013-Ford-Fusion-Detroit-Auto-Show-08.JPG

Edited by deadman64

Yeah, it won't be the taillights themselves, but I suppose the higher trim might make some insurance rates a little higher. It probably depends if your insurance company differentiates between trim levels.

I have Geico and explored the rates of an SE vs. Titanium and they were in fact different. Not terribly different but I think 10 bucks a month.

Still a hot looking car regardless on how the tail lights light up. But this image was taken during the auto show which were pre-production models. Things change during the production process and perhaps there's a reason only the Titanium model has them.

My guess is that they're (Ford) is trying to make the upgrade to the titanium level more of a justified upgrade with little things like this.

I have Geico and explored the rates of an SE vs. Titanium and they were in fact different. Not terribly different but I think 10 bucks a month.

When i went to get a quote through Geico (my carrier now), they had the old S, se, sel and sport trims in their system for 2013. They didnt have titanium yet. Hmmmm.

When i went to get a quote through Geico (my carrier now), they had the old S, se, sel and sport trims in their system for 2013. They didnt have titanium yet. Hmmmm.

Oh, same. But I did a test between an SE and whatever the highest was (according to the lady on the phone) so it's not 100% accurate.

Still a hot looking car regardless on how the tail lights light up. But this image was taken during the auto show which were pre-production models. Things change during the production process and perhaps there's a reason only the Titanium model has them.

My guess is that they're (Ford) is trying to make the upgrade to the titanium level more of a justified upgrade with little things like this.

True, I'm sure I will completely forget about it once I have the car. It's not like I'll ever see them when I'm braking/driving. It was just something unique that distinguishes the car.... similar to the recent audi headlights.

Edited by deadman64
  • Like 1

Yeah it's sad nonetheless, but people will get over it..we only care cause we are some of the first buyers in america...even if only 10,000 fusions are on the road that is RARE in a country of over 250 million people and more cars than that going around lol. Once fusions..the new fusions become mainstream people wont care about those anymore because fusions are all over and yours will be nothing special and nothing to turn heads that the person at the stop light next to you isnt doing....we just expect a lot because the car is advertised to have a lot...then you realize they only really advertise the Titanium as the 2013 fusion and none of the other trims....and for a bigger reason then we are led to believe I guess. Lol.

It's nothing new for car manufacturers to only advertise the top trim with all features. A few of you are acting really surprised by this, it's called marketing. And like someone else mentioned, they need to give the titanium trim some features for it to make sense to have. If there weren't some of these smaller differentiators, there wouldn't be a point to the titanium.

It's nothing new for car manufacturers to only advertise the top trim with all features. A few of you are acting really surprised by this, it's called marketing. And like someone else mentioned, they need to give the titanium trim some features for it to make sense to have. If there weren't some of these smaller differentiators, there wouldn't be a point to the titanium.

That's not what's surprising...who cares what trim they offer..but when you are configuring, purchasing or matching specs on their website and it shows "LED TAIL LIGHTS" across the board...its deceptive when only one trim actually has different LED tail lights versus the rest of them..and the tail lights are on models without led red circles in the back are made to look like lights so you can't tell they are just reflectors unless you KNEW to look for that...that's deception..and while it is used commonly in any advertising market...it's just wrong when its this blatant and from a company trying to improve its image.

And there are enough ADVERTISED titanium differences and visible differences that make it stand out from the other trims: 12 speaker sony stereo, chrome door handles, spoiler, ambient lighting, intelligent access, push button start, exclusive rims,...having different tail lights across trims though is just stupid...its one thing to have led lighting as optional and non led lighting standard...but when you're advertising led lighting for all vehicles and having hidden true led lighting as one would expect only on one trim and not the others..that's just plain playing with peoples minds...and like you said...that is just small stuff...so small it's not needed at all for marketing purposes and is just cheap and stupid decision making.

The lights aren't a defferentiator for the titanium because all the trims are being offered "led tail lights" so to the consumer there is no difference..it's the smart consumer that realizes they are holding back in advertised features and skimping on the lower end models under the table to offer their expensive trim what is truly being advertised.

Edited by DarkeRetribution
  • Like 1

That's not what's surprising...who cares what trim they offer..but when you are configuring, purchasing or matching specs on their website and it shows "LED TAIL LIGHTS" across the board...its deceptive when only one trim actually has different LED tail lights versus the rest of them..and the tail lights are on models without led red circles in the back are made to look like lights so you can't tell they are just reflectors unless you KNEW to look for that...that's deception..and while it is used commonly in any advertising market...it's just wrong when its this blatant and from a company trying to improve its image.

And there are enough ADVERTISED titanium differences and visible differences that make it stand out from the other trims: 12 speaker sony stereo, chrome door handles, spoiler, ambient lighting, intelligent access, push button start, exclusive rims,...having different tail lights across trims though is just stupid...its one thing to have led lighting as optional and non led lighting standard...but when you're advertising led lighting for all vehicles and having hidden true led lighting as one would expect only on one trim and not the others..that's just plain playing with peoples minds...and like you said...that is just small stuff...so small it's not needed at all for marketing purposes and is just cheap and stupid decision making.

The lights aren't a defferentiator for the titanium because all the trims are being offered "led tail lights" so to the consumer this is no difference..it's the smart consumer that realizes they are holding back in advertised features and skimping on the lower end models under the table to offer their expensive trim what is truly being advertised.

Does it say LED Tail Lights in exactly the same way for both trims? The Titanium doesn't say 'full' or anything right?

Does it say LED Tail Lights in exactly the same way for both trims? The Titanium doesn't say 'full' or anything right?

When you compare features between the SE and the Titanium on Ford's website they both indicate "LED Taillamps" are standard (http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/compare-models/?models=se|titanium#categoryExterior_Features). There is no indication anywhere that the tail lights are different between models according to all the literature I've seen.