Autoblog 2013 Lincoln MKZ first drive

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/07/2013-lincoln-mkz-first-drive-review-video/

Our conclusion, after taking the Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Cadillac CTS and Lexus ES into consideration, is that the 2013 MKZ falls short. While we found many things to like (its styling and cabin isolation are at the top of our favorites), there are significant compromises (second row comfort, small trunk, ergonomic gripes and a thirsty V6 to name a few) keeping it off our most-wanted list. Even though it may be the most stylish Lincoln we've ever driven, it is far from extraordinary.

Lincoln doesn't want anyone to think of its newest offering as a redesigned Ford Fusion with boosted luxury appointments and a $15,000 price premium, but the reality remains hard to ignore. A sinking feeling in our stomachs tells us this MKZ is still not distinct enough to buoy the luxury brand. In fact, the whole experience left us wondering... what would the underappreciated rear-wheel-drive Lincoln LS have matured into today had it been celebrating its 13th year of production?

Short of killing every single reviewer out there, I don't know how Lincoln is going to change their percption of the brand....

OMG, the LS?

They mentioned the LS?

What kind of revisionist garbage is this?

I am so sick of journalists pining away for stuff they never liked. "Oh, if only they were still making the Dodge Neon", "Oh, if only GM hadn't killed Pontiac", "Oh, if only the world existed only to fulfill our fantasies."

The '08 Focus was savaged, and it basically saved Ford's compact car program. Pretty sure I trust Ford over the unaccountable pinings and whinings of uneducated journalists.

• Like 3

Autoblog in my opinion is pretty fair usually. I think they were here too. But for most people, the minor criticisms won't matter. Will it sales be be main tier in it's freshman year? It wouldn't be even if it were perfect. The MKZ is exceptional in some areas, only OK in some. It's the innovations and styling that will set it apart.

I still think it will do very well for Lincoln at this crossroad.

• Like 1

And does anyone believe that a 5-series is better than the MKZ in these categories: second row comfort, trunk size, ergonomic gripes and fuel economy?

I know that retractable top and AWD adds weight, but over 4100 pounds, and flat front seats with little side bolster in vehicle with 300hp? C&D complained about the comfort of front seats on $50,000 luxury sedan. Somehting to check out at least. These reviews aren't horrilbe, but not particularly great so far anyway. Yeah, I would imagine Ford loyalists will buy the vehicle just like they bought the last generation MKZ, but don't know how it will do with conquest sales if mediocre reviews continue.

I know that retractable top and AWD adds weight, but over 4100 pounds, and flat front seats with little side bolster in vehicle with 300hp? C&D complained about the comfort of front seats on $50,000 luxury sedan. Somehting to check out at least. These reviews aren't horrilbe, but not particularly great so far anyway. Yeah, I would imagine Ford loyalists will buy the vehicle just like they bought the last generation MKZ, but don't know how it will do with conquest sales if mediocre reviews continue.

That had nothing to do with what you quoted.

Point he was making that NO car is all things to all people, nor should any car try to be.

Putting Lincoln badges on the same cars the reviewers praise wouldn't even save Lincoln.

And affixing the badges of the vehicles reviewers praise onto any product in Lincoln's current lineup would produce the same result.

No badge of any shape or form can rectify the shortcomings of Ford's senseless experiment recently given the sobriquet Lincoln Motor Company.

Let's remember that the MKZ is a continuing model, a new platform but still basically fills the same role as the last vehicle.

What changes for lincoln is when new vehicles like MKC arrive and fill out perceived gaps in the product line,

at the moment Lincoln is like listening to a tune with some of the key of the key notes are still missing

but when a few more products arrive, things begin to look and sound quite different.

The average buyer age of Lincoln is up around 65, if Ford wants to lower that it needs different vehicles

to attract a younger buyer base, I know the team is working on this but the success of lincoln in the

public eye will be measured by delivered products, that perception is now overriding everything else..

The next move cannot be another "Seen it all before" at Lincoln, it needs to be seen as different.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Wasn't the quote along the lines of: "Don't try to be all things to all people. Be the one thing to a select few." I think I heard that somewhere.

That sounds similar to the Hedgehog Concept described in Jim Collins' book Good to Great, which in turn is derived from Isaiah Berlin's story about the hedgehog and the fox. The central theme of Berlin's fable is that the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing. Collins developed this concept into a framework for recognizing and developing organizational excellence.

jimcollins04.jpg

Sadly, Ford hasn't even come close to establishing "one big thing" for its Lincoln brand as represented by the intersection of the three circles above. Indeed, if there is "one big thing" that Lincoln has attained thus far, it's irrelevance.

Sadly, Ford hasn't even come close to establishing "one big thing" for its Lincoln brand as represented by the intersection of the three circles above. Indeed, if there is "one big thing" that Lincoln has attained thus far, it's irrelevance.

I guess that's the point you and other posters are trying to make aneekr, the only way the market can judge Lincoln is by what it does differently

and if Lincoln just keeps bringing out newer versions of the same product, the perception doesn't change - it's just situation normal or just evolution.

The new Lincolns are nice vehicles but they aren't doing what Ford now wants in changing perception of the brand. they need different vehicles to do that

and more than just one or two...

For goodness sakes, would it kill them to refresh navigator with at least F150 V8 and Ecoboost, we know MKC is coming but why not Explorer based Aviator as well..

At least give buyers and reviewers something to comment on, vehicles that Ford does well and get some increased activity and traffic through Lincoln showrooms.

Lincoln doesn't need zillion dollar platforms, just more variations of vehicles Ford does well....

Edited by jpd80

Yes and it's used in the LMC marketing campaign. It's not lip-service either. Just because some folks don't think it's a big thing doesn't mean it isn't. Man alive, this is 2003-5 all over again with regards to Ford!

I'm beginning to get the feeling that it doesn't matter what Lincoln does or comes out with!

New MKC; it's just a rebadged Escape

New MKC; it's just a rebadged Edge

A RWD coupe; it's just a rebadged mustang

A RWD sedan; it's just a rebadged Falcon

Full size AWD on a C4; just a rebadged Explorer

The pundits and amateur writers posing as auto reviewers won't leave Lincoln alone until there's some other automaker they can waste good press on and show off there biased opinions yet again.

I thought it was actually a pretty positive article. I mean they did have a lot of good things to say about it and only a few minor complaints. Their only mistake is that they probably should not be comparing it to those other cars because it is sort of in a class by itself.

My issue was not their comments on the vehicle itself or saying they preferred the other vehicles over the MKZ. What I objected to was saying that it fell short of those other vehicles on very specific things like trunk space and fuel economy. If you go look up the specs on those vehicles you'll see that only the ES really beats it in fuel economy (only on the V6 models) and it has the LARGEST trunk of the bunch. Just say it's a subjective preference and be done with it. Stop making up excuses that aren't even accurate.

Lincoln is not pretending to be BMW or MB or Audi...and therefore should not be judged to those standards,

Cadillac on the other hand has openly said that it is seking to attract BMW type customers..

Now the article said Lincoln was looking at competing with A6, 5-Series and ES IIRC. That been said, if the standard the article is holding those up to the MKZ, MKZ has aquitted itself well and the little things can easily be resolved or improved. In short a pretty good first crack for Lincoln though no one wants to admit it. Anyone who does is a fanboi. It's popular to beat down Lincoln it seems.

My issue was not their comments on the vehicle itself or saying they preferred the other vehicles over the MKZ. What I objected to was saying that it fell short of those other vehicles on very specific things like trunk space and fuel economy. If you go look up the specs on those vehicles you'll see that only the ES really beats it in fuel economy (only on the V6 models) and it has the LARGEST trunk of the bunch. Just say it's a subjective preference and be done with it. Stop making up excuses that aren't even accurate.

Here's what we at work call Picking Pepper Out Of The Flys#it. This is fishing plain and simple. If you argue the Fusion is just as good or better then the MKZ, it's a win for FMC/LMC. There will be folks who'll step up to the Lincoln. Folks can't or accept the MKZ is at least COMPETITIVE with it's competition.

Now the article said Lincoln was looking at competing with A6, 5-Series and ES IIRC. That been said, if the standard the article is holding those up to the MKZ, MKZ has aquitted itself well and the little things can easily be resolved or improved. In short a pretty good first crack for Lincoln though no one wants to admit it. Anyone who does is a fanboi. It's popular to beat down Lincoln it seems.

Well, there's a difference between aspiring to those levels and setting them as 2013 MKZ goals, I have a feeling that Lexus ES was clearly in Lincoln's sights

and by golly, I recon they have nailed it and if the MKZ also is goes beyond that all the better. The real decider will be conquest sales and from which brands..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1