Engine Oil, Need Your Opinion

Escapism

Well, I stopped at Ford today, they looked at my slip and went and looked it up in the service manual. They agreed and will change it next Tuesday as well as update MFT to the latest version. They said they had the Nav cards.

I don't think they will change the oil filter again, so I guess there will be some 5w20 Mixed in with the correct oil.

I'm guessing that shouldn't really be an issue.

• 1 month later...
Got my 2.0 back from the dealer today. It had "the works". Basically it's first oil change and tire rotation. I noticed on the printout it states they used 5W-20. The manual says to use 5W-30 for the 2.0. What the heck is that about? Should I call them on it? I live in Virginia so it's not like it stays really cold here for long. I mean after all we are a southern state for petes sake.

Update- called te service dept and they said the techs run this in all the vehicles during the winter months because its easier on the engine. So at this point I guess my question would be to all you northerners. Do you use 5W-20 in the winter months way up north even though the manual states 5W-30?

Well, my oil life indicator went off today. My odometer was at 10250. Here's the rub. I took my Escape to the dealer for the oil change, tire rotation at around 6500 miles. I guess they did not reset the oil life. I'm sorry, but my Frd dealer sucks. To the point where it will affect my future buying decisions. Sorry, had to vent a little.

FYI, It is a common misconception that changing your own oil will void the warranty. It won't.

Just as long as you keep proper records. Use an app on your phone that will allow you to keep copies of the receipts and record mileage as well. You can use an app aimed for tracking automotive maintenance, or even something as simple as Evernote. I personally like the latter of the two due to the fact that it's a simple interface with the ability to attach photos to my notes. I also keep hard copies of all of the receipts in a folder in my filing cabinet just in case. I always prefer to do my own maintenance simply because I don't always know the person(s) working on my vehicle.

Thanks folks for the responses. Yeah, I keep all receipts related to my vehicles. It was just disappointing to realize that they didn't do the one simple 30 second task of resetting the oil life monitor.

And I agree, as soon as the warranty is over, I do all my own work. I can trust myself to do it correctly.

Having receipts won't help if you have a lubrication related failure absent some other problem.

Case in point: Jiffy lube receipt says they used synthetic blend motorcraft 5W-20 but in reality they used regular 10W40. Or you bought the oil and filter per the receipt but never actually changed it.

Edited by akirby

Well, my oil life indicator went off today. My odometer was at 10250. Here's the rub. I took my Escape to the dealer for the oil change, tire rotation at around 6500 miles. I guess they did not reset the oil life. I'm sorry, but my Frd dealer sucks. To the point where it will affect my future buying decisions. Sorry, had to vent a little.

Note to self: if I let the dealer change the oil, reset the oil life indicator afterwards. Do not trust that they did. Now I need to learn how to do the reset, where is my manual.

Escapism, did you buy yours from Ted Britt Ford? They were one of the ones that I looked at but ended up going with Sheehy since I couldn't beat the pricing I could get from the Costco Auto Program (which sent me to Sheehy). I've been very happy with everything about Sheehy except that it's about 12 miles from me. I have family near them though so it gives me a good excuse to drop in for a visit.

Escapism, did you buy yours from Ted Britt Ford? They were one of the ones that I looked at but ended up going with Sheehy since I couldn't beat the pricing I could get from the Costco Auto Program (which sent me to Sheehy). I've been very happy with everything about Sheehy except that it's about 12 miles from me. I have family near them though so it gives me a good excuse to drop in for a visit.

Yes, it's Ted Britt. I am right in the middle of both of their locations. Such a shame. I really love the car, but not the dealer. I'm not looking forward to my next visit because:

1) door handles stick open

2) front brakes squeak even worse

3) I would like my DTE fixed. I never fill up more than 12 to 12.5 gallons.

Yes, it's Ted Britt. I am right in the middle of both of their locations. Such a shame. I really love the car, but not the dealer. I'm not looking forward to my next visit because:

You don't have to use the service department where you purchased the car. Go to the Ford dealer that has the best service reputation or you feel good about.

You don't have to use the service department where you purchased the car. Go to the Ford dealer that has the best service reputation or you feel good about.

Yeah, I know. It may come to that. But darn, they are right down the road like 2 miles.

Because of their great service department and the deal I got when I purchased, (Roseville Midway Ford) I still go there even after I sold my house. I was 4 miles and now I'm 12 miles. There are two Ford dealerships closer, but it's worth the drive for peace of mind.

Edited by transitman

1) door handles stick open

2) front brakes squeak even worse

3) I would like my DTE fixed. I never fill up more than 12 to 12.5 gallons.

1) TSB 12-12-12

2) TSB 13-1-2

3) TSB 13-02-01 - but it doesn't sound like yours is "broken." Mine was filling up 12 before, and 12 afterwards. I have heard people that have the low fuel light that comes on at like half a tank, I believe the software fixes that "DTE issue" not ours. The Escape seems to have a "design flaw" in that it is too small of a tank to begin with, and you can't seem to get all the fuel out of it.

Just out of curiosity though - has anyone actually run out of gas in the Escape yet? When my truck hit 0 DTE, I had about 50 miles left to go, and I knew that. I never ran out of gas in the truck, but I had driven about 40 miles beyond, and filled 29 of the 30.5 gallons. And consistently when I hit 0 DTE, I would fill ~25 of 30 gallons.

1) TSB 12-12-12

2) TSB 13-1-2

3) TSB 13-02-01 - but it doesn't sound like yours is "broken." Mine was filling up 12 before, and 12 afterwards. I have heard people that have the low fuel light that comes on at like half a tank, I believe the software fixes that "DTE issue" not ours. The Escape seems to have a "design flaw" in that it is too small of a tank to begin with, and you can't seem to get all the fuel out of it.

Just out of curiosity though - has anyone actually run out of gas in the Escape yet? When my truck hit 0 DTE, I had about 50 miles left to go, and I knew that. I never ran out of gas in the truck, but I had driven about 40 miles beyond, and filled 29 of the 30.5 gallons. And consistently when I hit 0 DTE, I would fill ~25 of 30 gallons.

25 of 30 gallons?????? It's a 15.1 gallon tank what truck are you talking about? And no never have ran out of gas but have driven on 0 miles DTE for about 15 miles and only put 11 gallons in my escape

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to my 2008 F-250. I don't consider the Escape a truck, but I know that people do. The short bed F-250/350's had 30.5 gal tanks from 2008-2010, where they were reduced to 25 gal tanks (along with getting a powertrain overhaul with the 6.2L Boss and 6.7L Scorpion). The long beds had 38 gallon tanks, with an optional second tank on the F-350's for another 18 gallons.

While it is a bit annoying to be filling up every 200-250 miles, it sure is a lot nicer to only be filling up for ~40 bucks :). The F-250 almost always hit the price cap limit before it got a full tank (most stations used to be $75, but now are $90... either way, >$3/gal and it hits the limit before its full)

The F-250 almost always hit the price cap limit before it got a full tank (most stations used to be $75, but now are $90... either way, >$3/gal and it hits the limit before its full)

Around here, the limit is $100 and it's a royal PITA when that happens. I refuse to leave it less then full, so it requires another swipe of the card for me. So I try to fill up when I'm at 1/4 tank to avoid it. :)

Edited by fordmantpw

• 1 month later...

Hi, just got my first oil change on the Escape and have gotten worse mileage since for the same type of driving. then I saw this tread and see something different in my print out...

5 XO*5W30*BSP OIL - ENGINE

1 XO*5W20*BSP OIL - ENGINE

I have not call the dealer yet, but is it OK to mix different grade of motor oil? need some opinions on this.

see attachment for picture of the print out.

post-48561-0-72333800-1367722553_thumb.jpg

That's odd but I don't think it will really hurt anything with only 1 quart. I question whether that was actually used or just a misprint on the invoice because they usually use a bulk barrel so they would have to actually switch to a different dispensor to get 1 quart of 5W20. Just ask the dealer what happened.

Got my 2.0 back from the dealer today. It had "the works". Basically it's first oil change and tire rotation. I noticed on the printout it states they used 5W-20. The manual says to use 5W-30 for the 2.0. What the heck is that about? Should I call them on it? I live in Virginia so it's not like it stays really cold here for long. I mean after all we are a southern state for petes sake.

Update- called te service dept and they said the techs run this in all the vehicles during the winter months because its easier on the engine. So at this point I guess my question would be to all you northerners. Do you use 5W-20 in the winter months way up north even though the manual states 5W-30?

Ha, quoting myself. Only because I got my Escape back from its scheduled maintenance and guess what, they did it again. The ticket said 6 qts of 5W-20. This is after I even wrote in the comments to "Please use 5W-30". Needless to say I was there for awhile talking to some people. Sad. On a positive note, my brakes don't squeak anymore because I asked them to perform TSB 13-04-25.

.... but the SA told me "that's just the way it prints out".....

Or you could log on to FORD OWNER & all your service info will be listed in the Service Summary

I love it when the given excuse is, "Well, that is what the computer printed out. GODDAMN IT!!!! Fix the programming for fuck-sakes!!! When I bought my 2012 Fusion, about a month and a half later, the auto group that owned the dealership consolidated the Ford showrooms into one so the store in my hometown ceased being a Ford dealership. FLM Owner summarily re-assigns me to the "next closest dealer" instead of putting me into the consolidated dealership that is 1.4 miles further away than the one they assign me to....several calls and emails to no avail....claim they cannot fix it, it is a computer related issue that will not allow them to change it...WHAT?!?! Since when? Call the person you paid to program the damn system and have them FIX IT!!! Is it a minor issue? Yes....but damnit....don't tell me you cannot correct it....tell me you don't WANT to correct it....