Cadillac ELR debuts

rmc523

This looks absolutely stunning to me, but oddly proportioned at the same time. It's a bit earth-shattering and I'm very glad to see Detroit do something so extraordinary.

BTW, fantastic photography Caddy!

Edited by BORG

This looks absolutely stunning to me, but oddly proportioned at the same time. It's a bit earth-shattering and I'm very glad to see Detroit do something so extraordinary.

BTW, fantastic photography Caddy!

Extraordinary in what sense, powertrain?

The design to me is nothing but the same rehashed Cadillac look we've had for however many years now.

Extraordinary in what sense, powertrain?

The design to me is nothing but the same rehashed Cadillac look we've had for however many years now.

Ford couldn't design a coupe with that much character if their lives depended on it

Agree that Cadillac styling is getting a bit generic, I don't think their designers would be game to do anything different..

Edited by jpd80

Agree that Cadillac styling is getting a bit generic, I don't think their designers would be game to do anything different..

I don't think it's the designers... Max Wolff wrapped up the XTS then came and started making huge improvements at Lincoln.

Maximum Bob's "brand checklist" still seems to be very much in effect for all of GM's designs.

I don't think it's the designers... Max Wolff wrapped up the XTS then came and started making huge improvements at Lincoln.

Maximum Bob's "brand checklist" still seems to be very much in effect for all of GM's designs.

Hence my opinion and probably why Wolff said that he felt Cadillac's face was becoming too generic

While none of us can speak on the pending success/failure with any certainty, I will say this is a very good-looking vehicle. If I were shopping for a vehicle in this category, this would be it, hands down!

What "category" is that though? Luxury hybrid coupes that perform worse than other luxury coupes in everything except fuel economy?

Ford couldn't design a coupe with that much character if their lives depended on it

First, I really don't think it has that much character - but maybe I'm biased given I'm tired of seeing the same design for the past decade+ and wrote this vehicle off back when it was a concept whenever that was a few years ago.

And since we've see Ford try to make a coupe recently (ignoring that hideous thing they call a Mustang.....yeah they don't know what they're doing when it comes to coupes)??

Luxury hybrids overall period. Coupes, sedans, etc...

But someone looking at, say, a Lexus RX400h isn't going to be at all interested in the ELR. It's not like the hybrid gurus at Toyota have seen success in their smaller luxury hybrids at all. The HS has already been cancelled and the CT isn't exactly flying off showroom floors either.

But someone looking at, say, a Lexus RX400h isn't going to be at all interested in the ELR. It's not like the hybrid gurus at Toyota have seen success in their smaller luxury hybrids at all. The HS has already been cancelled and the CT isn't exactly flying off showroom floors either.

I agree with what you're saying, your logic is sound, but I was speaking in personal terms bud. Read how I wrote that. In this particular instance, I lopped all luxury hybrids into one category, that "category" being a very generalized one: Luxury hybrids. The reason I did is because for me (personally), if I were to shop for something like a luxury hybrid, (no chance in hell by the way, not my thing at all), I have no reason to consider things like cargo space, doors, etc., I only need to worry about if I like it or not. So, I would take the ELR, based on the fact that 1. I like the styling a lot. 2. It's a coupe(!), a MAJOR plus for me. See what I meant? I wasn't insisting that there was some "class" of luxury hybrid coupes out there.

In fact, I give Caddy even more credit for going this route, because no one else has dared to produce a luxury hybrid coupe, which adds a lot of style to the hybrid genre overall, in my opinion. We've all discussed at length how, in a lot of cases, these cars are purchased for the image they project sometimes as much as for their actual fuel savings, so why not do something that spices up the image like a two-door?

because no one else has dared to produce a luxury hybrid coupe,

so why not do something that spices up the image like a two-door?

I think we'll find out there's a reason nobody else has done this. Hybrids are a relatively difficult sell as it is compared to their gas-running counterparts. Combine it with a body style that is also a difficult sell and you likely aren't going to get a whole lot out of it.

What "category" is that though? Luxury hybrid coupes that perform worse than other luxury coupes in everything except fuel economy?
I think we'll find out there's a reason nobody else has done this. Hybrids are a relatively difficult sell as it is compared to their gas-running counterparts. Combine it with a body style that is also a difficult sell and you likely aren't going to get a whole lot out of it.

I'm with you on this one, Nick. Aside from the fact that I don't like the design, buyers will not be buying it for performance. As you also said, you can't lump all hybrid buyers together for the exact reason you mentioned - sure some may say "I want a hybrid" and look at just hybrids, but most probably look at the type of vehicle they want or need and then consider a hybrid model if offered in the style they like (aside from Prius people I'd assume it's more like that).

I agree - I just don't see it selling well - yeah you'll have some folks lining up to buy it because they want to have their "sporty" car that's green, but I think the market (at least at this point in time) is limited.

I'm with you on this one, Nick. Aside from the fact that I don't like the design, buyers will not be buying it for performance. As you also said, you can't lump all hybrid buyers together for the exact reason you mentioned - sure some may say "I want a hybrid" and look at just hybrids, but most probably look at the type of vehicle they want or need and then consider a hybrid model if offered in the style they like (aside from Prius people I'd assume it's more like that).

I never said anything to that effect either. I never said anyone would buy it for it's performance, cuz a hybrid would be the last thing you'd buy for that. I never lumped all hybrid buyers together, again, it was for my personal tastes, which as I alluded to are unique circumstances.