Hybrid mileage so far

elle

I live in south east Michigan with 3000 miles and my lifetime MPG is 32.4 at the moment.

I have some questions I was hoping you guys could help me answer.

1. Can the ICE run SOLELY to warm the vehicle while the car is running? The reason I ask is because I've noticed times where I should be in EV mode where I wasnt because the heater setting was on. Why cant the car still use EV mode to move the car and the ICE just run in the background as needed to warm the car?

2. Has anyone else experienced issues with EV mode not kicking in when it clearly should? Meaning, there have been times where i would look at the engine operation my MFT and the reasoning it gave that the car was in "Hybrid Mode" was due to "normal operation". I can understand reasonings such as "High speed", or "acceleration." There are also times where i have to decelerate in order to kick it into EV mode. Even under optimal conditions with the cruise set. Its really irritating.

3. Can EV+ mode be forced? Are there any settings around EV+ that can be modified? Ive noticed it only turns on right before I get to my street and there is plenty of battery left. My car didnt come with GPS, but i'm pretty sure it uses GPS for EV+ mode. Can anyone else confirm?

Thanks everyone!

1. Can the ICE run SOLELY to warm the vehicle while the car is running? The reason I ask is because I've noticed times where I should be in EV mode where I wasnt because the heater setting was on. Why cant the car still use EV mode to move the car and the ICE just run in the background as needed to warm the car?

Because it would be grossly inefficient. Heat is a waste product of the engine. If you have to run the engine to heat the coolant then it's more efficient to use that energy to propel the car at the same time - otherwise you're either throwing it away or using it to charge the battery. And running the engine and converting mechanical energy to electricity to store in the battery which is then converted back to mechanical energy to propel the vehicle is not as efficient as simply powering it directly. This is why the Volt gets worse fuel economy running on the ICE. You lose too much energy in the conversion.

Well I've never seen the ICE run under 1,100 ish RPM so that doesn't help either... My 2005 Optra would run at 800 RPM all the time. I dunno hopefully there will be an ECU update for all this - I really don't think anyone is seeing 47 MPG without significant effort... In a Prius / Camry Hybrid you can get 50 MPG very very easily without trying so hard.

I've noticed that if the battery gauge gets down near a quarter left, the ice will come on and give me the hat over the battery gauge to show it is charging back up, even if I'm in a section of my commute where it has used pure ev before.

I've heard of people putting batteries in the fridge for storage to preserve their charge longer. Maybe on colder days the battery doesn't work very well?

Holy cow! Did you push it?!

Hah. Here's what I find interesting. Went into the hills a little bit to go for a hike. The drive there was mostly uphill, and I think that 6 mile trip I averaged about 25mpg. But then the drive home (which is then mostly downhill) I get that monster 132mpg, making the whole trip's average about 78.5.

But on my regular commutes to and fro work which involves a few hills here and there, I wind up with an average of 34mpg. I think my lifetime average as I approach 1k miles is about 34.2 now.

Kind of frustrating, because I don't know if it's just the car that's not getting close to what's advertised, or if it's my driving, or my wife's driving or what. I mean, 34 is still loads better than my Jeep, but I'd at least like to crack the 40 mark. And weather surely isn't a factor as I'm in socal. I'm hoping things greatly improve when the summer blend is released.

Check out this video at the 7 minute mark. Very interesting!!!

Duhh..I was the first in this forum to question Fords methods and madness for obtaining 47 mpg combined. And it's still very much unobtainable except by people wasting gas going uphill in one direction and driving downhill in another to get 50-60mpg...which sadly, means nothing in everyday, NORMAL, driving. Everyone here's in denial but this is a Ford fanbase..so it makes sense..but keeping it real...it's no surprise 6 months later people are still questioning the fusion/c-max EPA numbers. im still getting my hybrid titanium..but i've come to live with the fact whatever i get with it is better than a non-hybrid counterpart so that alone makes me happy. Furthermore, the more MPG i can get on my daily commute, the more surprising i'll be..but if i was someone interested in the new fusion hybrid i would not buy it based on the EPA estimates as Ford would advertise you do, because this car has some shifty engineering and quality issues known all to well to members of this forum, some of which may keep you from achieving those numbers on your own as a lifetime goal.

Edited by DarkeRetribution

Well I've never seen the ICE run under 1,100 ish RPM so that doesn't help either... My 2005 Optra would run at 800 RPM all the time. I dunno hopefully there will be an ECU update for all this - I really don't think anyone is seeing 47 MPG without significant effort... In a Prius / Camry Hybrid you can get 50 MPG very very easily without trying so hard.

Definitely not true with the heavier Camry. More true in the de-tuned, under powered Prius.

Definitely not true with the heavier Camry. More true in the de-tuned, under powered Prius.

It is true with the 2012 Camry - I took one out from Auto Share (a car sharing service here in Toronto) and had little problem getting excellent milage right off the bat. My 2013 Fusion Hybrid on the other hand struggles as it warms up.

An interesting note - The software is not configured properly for the air flaps... I took a look at mine in the driveway and they were half open while the engine was warming up in -5c temperatures. Sure lets let freezing air into a cold engine? Hmmm time for an ECU update!

Oh... Well it would kinda make sense to keep it closed during cold starts, considering its only a software change.

So has anyone else checked to see if they're spark plugs are already fouled from the ECU providing too rich a mixture resulting in poor fuel economy?

Edited by expresspotato

I'll be curious if anyone has taken a hard look at this ....

I'm wondering wether heavy usage of the adaptive cruise control is needed to get close to the Ford advertised MPG ratings ....

Not really. In fact you'll do better if you let the car slow down a little going uphill and coast more going downhill.

Mpg with use of acc on eco can very depending on how many times it has to speed up to the mph setting, when cars in front of you vary their speed.

I get good results by doing no more than a 60 mph setting, because most people are going much faster, so I never get people slowing down in front if me.

Also, I find that ev mode doesn't activate when I'm going faster than 60 mph, even when I'm going down hill, and have a full battery gauge, and let up fully off the gas.

I'll be curious if anyone has taken a hard look at this ....

I'm wondering wether heavy usage of the adaptive cruise control is needed to get close to the Ford advertised MPG ratings ....

I use adaptive cruise for 90% of my commute... I am at a lifetime average of 30MPG ... Yes you read that right 30 MPG