Chicago Reveal

We have just few days until Ford's Chicago Auto Show press conference. As far as I know Ford has released no hints of what it will show. To me the best reasonable news would be a new Edge. But it could also be the Explorer refresh. Or it could be a new trim or special edition. I doubt it would be a Fusion ST/SVT since the probably engines are a ways away. After coming away disappointed that Ford didn't have any significant news out of Detroit ( fear of getting lost in the Corvette barrage? ) I hope that we will get some more interesting and fun news out of Chicago and New York.

I guess the F-series concept truck wasn't significant?

As for the Fusion ST, I don't see that getting intro'd till maybe the end of this year or maybe next year....though the Mustang is going to be 2014's Corvette. I see the ST Fusion and the I4 Mustang that is most likely coming out sharing the same EB engine in them, even though they'll attach to a transmission differently.

I didn't forget the Atlas. What makes the Atlas less "significant" in my eyes is that while nice the styling direction it signals isn't very different than the current truck. It isn't as drastic a change as the 97 F-150 or the 04 F-150. Plus, it didn't offer any previews of any future powertrains, etc. That is why it was very exciting to me. Don't get me wrong I like the truck but it didn't "wow" me.

I didn't forget the Atlas. What makes the Atlas less "significant" in my eyes is that while nice the styling direction it signals isn't very different than the current truck. It isn't as drastic a change as the 97 F-150 or the 04 F-150. Plus, it didn't offer any previews of any future powertrains, etc. That is why it was very exciting to me. Don't get me wrong I like the truck but it didn't "wow" me.

But it wasn't there to show off styling or powertrains. It was there to show off technology and fuel efficiency which may soon be far more important than horsepower.

The Atlas and the Nissan Resonance were voted "best concepts' at the Detroit Auto Show by 28 car stylists from around the world. This is part of the "Eyes on Design" competition that is held each year at the NAIAS. The Cadillac ELR was voted "best new production" car.

But it wasn't there to show off styling or powertrains. It was there to show off technology and fuel efficiency which may soon be far more important than horsepower.

How can it show off technology and fuel efficiency if it gave no important details of its powertrain or weight, etc?

• Like 1

I take it you didn't read anything about it.....

Did Ford announce what displacement and power figures for the engine supposedly underneath the Atlas? Did they announce an 8 or 9 speed transmission? Did they hint/announce a future hybrid truck? I don't remember anything like that.

Did Ford announce what displacement and power figures for the engine supposedly underneath the Atlas? Did they announce an 8 or 9 speed transmission? Did they hint/announce a future hybrid truck? I don't remember anything like that.

I guess those are the only things that relate to fuel economy?

No, but those are extremelly important.

Leading fuel efficiency
The Ford Atlas Concept features a next-generation EcoBoost® powertrain, which introduces truck-enhanced Auto Start-Stop engine shutoff technology. Auto Start-Stop shuts off the engine when stopped in traffic to save fuel – and smartly suspends the feature when the truck knows it is towing.
EcoBoost engines use gasoline direct injection and turbocharging to deliver fuel-economy gains of up to 20 percent and reduction of CO2 emissions of up to 15 percent, compared with larger-displacement engines. More than 500,000 EcoBoost engines have been sold globally, including 250,000 in the Ford F-150.
The Ford Atlas Concept goes further to save fuel through a combination of active aerodynamic elements that reduce wind resistance. They include:
  • Active Grille Shutters: Automatic shutters behind the grille stay open when extra engine cooling is needed, such as during low-speed stop-and-go driving or while working in hot weather. The shutters automatically close to improve aerodynamics when cruising on the highway at steady speeds
  • Active Wheel Shutters: Automatic shutters in the wheels are hidden to improve style at rest and low speeds, but automatically close at highway speeds to improve aerodynamics. Self-charging batteries use energy from the wheels’ motion to power the shutters
  • Drop-Down Front Air Dam: A drop-down front wind spoiler lowers at highway speeds to improve underbody airflow. The air dam is raised at low speeds to improve ground clearance – helpful for off-roading
  • Power Running Boards: Auto-deploying running boards help passengers enter the truck at rest and tuck up against the truck when it is moving to improve aerodynamics and ground clearance
The combination of these fuel-saving features saves more than 2 mpg on the highway without diminishing towing or hauling capability.
Work and play smarter, not harder
Ford Atlas Concept is a rolling showcase of features that improve capability, durability and productivity to meet the diverse needs of pickup truck owners. Features include:
  • Dual-Purpose Tailgate Step and Cargo Cradle: The acclaimed Ford Tailgate Step goes a step further by adding the ability to also act as a cargo cradle – lifting and holding extra-long cargo items above the truck and freeing valuable bed spaceTrailer Backup Assist: This segment-first innovation allows drivers to back a trailer with the twist of a knob. Ford research shows that backing a trailer is often the most intimidating task a truck customer can face
  • Dynamic Hitch Assist: Hitching a trailer can be time consuming and difficult. Dynamic Hitch Assist helps precisely line up the truck’s hitch with the trailer coupling, eliminating maneuvering guesswork by showing visual cues in the truck’s center display screen
  • 360-Degree Point-of-View Camera: A Ford truck first, the system gives a bird’s-eye view of the truck to help position the vehicle in tight places or when there are obstacles near the truck – such as on a busy job site or grocery store parking lot
  • LED Headlamps and Taillamps: Advanced LED lighting offers better road illumination than conventional halogen or HID lights and lasts longer. LED lamps also offer near-instant response, giving valuable extra warning time for following traffic
  • LED Cargo Box and Side Mirror Lighting: Advanced, powerful yet efficient LED lighting brightly lights the cargo box and job site after the sun goes down with minimal battery drain compared to standard headlights or plug-in lights
  • Hidden Cargo Ramps: Lightweight, durable loading ramps stowed below the cargo box can be quickly removed and set up to assist with loading wheeled items into the bed – from landscaping equipment to dirt bikes
  • Like 2

The significance of Atlas is that it hints of ONE truck as opposed to a 150 and a Super Duty line. Like I said- "hints" IMO

Chicago certailnly would be good place to show the Fusion ST. Detroit Free Press today said that it would likely be Fiesta ST, but I would think they meant Fusion ST. I believe the Fiesta ST was shown at L.A. show, and I saw concept version at NAIAS last year. So time to reveal the Fusion ST to keep the Fusion momentum going.

So time to reveal the Fusion ST to keep the Fusion momentum going.

The only thing is that there isn't a engine ready for it (that we know of)...I'm going to assume its going to get the new 2.3L EB I4 thats been strongly hinted at the past year or so, sharing it with the Mustang and the Focus ST possibly.

Oh well I just ordered my SHO and they'll have all the bugs ironed out when I get off my lease ;)

The only thing is that there isn't a engine ready for it (that we know of)...I'm going to assume its going to get the new 2.3L EB I4 thats been strongly hinted at the past year or so, sharing it with the Mustang and the Focus ST possibly.

Oh well I just ordered my SHO and they'll have all the bugs ironed out when I get off my lease ;)

Man, this may be a pipe dream, but I sure as hell wish Ford would make the Fusion ST with the 3.5EB. That engine and AWD and I would be more than willing to pony $40k. My Focus lease still has 18 months or so and my next vehicle will be more performance oriented. Focus ST/RS?? 2015 Mustang, or maybe used 2013 GT500 are on my list. Depends on the styling of the new Mustang and the availability of the Fusion ST. I would also be interested in the next gen SHO if it came in around 400-450 HP.