Ford Police Interceptors selling like hot cakes---or donuts?

I believe MSP did their entire order with Chevrolet this year, since the Caprices have the olive/black paint jobs. Limited orders in the past were black only (i.e. the Tahoes, Chargers). I've seen a couple running around St. Mary's County. Guess MSP still has a bad taste in their mouth from when they tried the FWD Tauruses back in the early 90s. I noticed those didn't stay in the fleet very long.

I find that hard to believe because about 2 months ago I saw quite a few unmarked Police Interceptors and a few marked up PI's all of a sudden...I live 5 minutes from the MSP Barracks in my area.

I've only seen one Caprice so far for the MSP. The Cecil Co Sheriff car has been around since late last year I believe.

I find that hard to believe because about 2 months ago I saw quite a few unmarked Police Interceptors and a few marked up PI's all of a sudden...I live 5 minutes from the MSP Barracks in my area.

I've only seen one Caprice so far for the MSP. The Cecil Co Sheriff car has been around since late last year I believe.

I know on the southern end of the state, the only PIs I've seen have been Charles County and town of La Plata. The only Olive/Black MSP vehicles we've seen down this way have been the old CVPIs and the new Caprices. I have seen marked/unmarked Tahoes, but the marked ones are all black, no olive anywhere, just like the Chargers that MSP tried, and didn't like too well. From what I heard, most of the Chargers were reassigned to the aviation division. Of course, with some of the old fleet in MSP, we still have a CVPI down here with chrome grill and the old rotator lights, not the newer LED light bars.

Well, it's looking even more convincingly that Ford has effectively replaced the CVPI and BOF Explorer PI

in the market but the flood of last minute CVPI orders means that the market will slowly transition.

A great plan from Ford as it gave customers what they want along with time to watch and take up the new PI

and PI Ute while still staying Ford customers. It really gave Chevrolet and Dodge nothing to work with.

...Mind you if GM ever grows a brain and ditches Caprice and uses the '14 Impala as a basis for a new

PI then things could change. But ius that really going to happen, an Impala PI with AWd and TT V6?????

Edited by jpd80

Well, it's looking even more convincingly that Ford has effectively replaced the CVPI and BOF Explorer PI

in the market but the flood of last minute CVPI orders means that the market will slowly transition.

A great plan from Ford as it gave customers what they want along with time to watch and take up the new PI

and PI Ute while still staying Ford customers. It really gave Chevrolet and Dodge nothing to work with.

...Mind you if GM ever grows a brain and ditches Caprice and uses the '14 Impala as a basis for a new

PI then things could change. But ius that really going to happen, an Impala PI with AWd and TT V6?????

While the new PIs have good sales its nowhere near what the C/V alone did (4000+ on a bad month). As for the false assumption of Dodge and Chevy having nothing for the police/emergency/fleet market, since GM and Chrysler don't breakdown police/fleet figures (well the Caprice is a bit of exception) Tahoe, Charger , Durango and Impala have seen increased sales.

The old Impala will continue as a "classic" model for 2-3 more years so no need for an expensive Ep-ll fleet/police car and from what I here GM will replace "fleetpla" with a US/Canada built Caprice based vehicle, plus with the SS project Caprice is staying put for now.

Since Ford "can't do no wrong" how come the PI Taurus isn't offered as a taxi / general fleet car with alternative fuel options (like that "bad ol" fleetplaa) instead of having several completely different models, hope the next Taurus address this issue.

While the new PIs have good sales its nowhere near what the C/V alone did (4000+ on a bad month). As for the false assumption of Dodge and Chevy having nothing for the police/emergency/fleet market, since GM and Chrysler don't breakdown police/fleet figures (well the Caprice is a bit of exception) Tahoe, Charger , Durango and Impala have seen increased sales.

Let's not forget that the last few years of the CV were either mostly fleet or (in the last 2 or so years) ALL fleet. Apples and baseballs.

The old Impala will continue as a "classic" model for 2-3 more years so no need for an expensive Ep-ll fleet/police car and from what I here GM will replace "fleetpla" with a US/Canada built Caprice based vehicle, plus with the SS project Caprice is staying put for now.

Since Ford "can't do no wrong" how come the PI Taurus isn't offered as a taxi / general fleet car with alternative fuel options (like that "bad ol" fleetplaa) instead of having several completely different models, hope the next Taurus address this issue.

Because Ford doesn't want the Taurus to be associated with being primarily a fleet queen like the CV was and like the old Impala still is. Retail model resale and all that.

Let's not forget that the last few years of the CV were either mostly fleet or (in the last 2 or so years) ALL fleet. Apples and baseballs.

Because Ford doesn't want the Taurus to be associated with being primarily a fleet queen like the CV was and like the old Impala still is. Retail model resale and all that.

Yes the C/V still push that many cars out beside fleet only, do that makes it a bad car?. The C/V production didn't lineup with what Ford's production plans and lack of investment killed it that's all. The sedan pi is a discontented Taurus but that isn't stopping people from buying a regular Taurus. The advantage of having a Taurus/Explorer based PI is when the Taurus gets a new redesign the PIs gets redesign also, that's something the C/V never had.

Ford can take a TPI drop in the upcoming N/A D 2.7, ( eb 2.0 is too costly/possible turbo issues and 3.5/3.7 is too much for cab and businessmen)put it in the car , alternative fuel and engine options, there you go. Or/and give it a new name for the entire police/fleet market so Taurus won't have hurt resale (Custom, LTD?).

Ford would probably rather sell a Transit Connect Taxi. Do you see many new sedan taxis? In Chicago the panther close to being gone. Most new taxis seem to be "boxes" - MPVs/SUVs. I see a fare number of VPGs (RIP), xBs, Transit Connects, Escapes. One company seems to have standardized on the C-MAX - I see a ton of them. The most common I'd say now is the Prius.

Ford would probably rather sell a Transit Connect Taxi. Do you see many new sedan taxis? In Chicago the panther close to being gone. Most new taxis seem to be "boxes" - MPVs/SUVs. I see a fare number of VPGs (RIP), xBs, Transit Connects, Escapes. One company seems to have standardized on the C-MAX - I see a ton of them. The most common I'd say now is the Prius.
I believe because the C/V was the last to offer a genuine taxi package I bet if another true taxi package is offered on a model cabbies will go for it.

Many of these "box" hybrid things isn't built to take that punishment and ware away quickly and real SUVs inheritly take abuse but good luck with fuel mileage. On that note too bad VPG didn't get a real shot like NYC instead of Japan inc. getting a billion dollar contract (and it just got the d37 as the standard engine).

Edit; I seen many new 11-13 Impala, Fusions, Taurus and Chargers used as cabs.

Edited by Fgts

I can't remember the last time I saw a wImpala taxi. I've seen a handful of pre-13 Fusions, a couple Pre-2010 Taurus, but honestly don't think I've ever seen a Charger.

The Transit Connect offers a taxi package. (I'm not positive the current one does - though I see TC Taxis, but I know the new one does).

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/transitconnect-wagon/buzz/

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/2014-ford-transit-connect-comes-in-two-wheelbases-optional-taxi-prep-package-191669.html#axzz2V4hMHfJZ

500?? Not spelled out "Five Hundred"....

fiattaxi.jpg

Edited by sullynd

500?? Not spelled out "Five Hundred"....

Ok Ford 500, comes standard with 2.7 power, from taxi to a EB 3.5 interceptor or a n/a 3.5 no frills business sedan with a look along the lines of the current interceptor. Taurus can continue on as standard 3.5 plus 2.0/3.5 EB and the latest MFT stuff.

Yes the C/V still push that many cars out beside fleet only, do that makes it a bad car?. The C/V production didn't lineup with what Ford's production plans and lack of investment killed it that's all. The sedan pi is a discontented Taurus but that isn't stopping people from buying a regular Taurus. The advantage of having a Taurus/Explorer based PI is when the Taurus gets a new redesign the PIs gets redesign also, that's something the C/V never had.

Not a bad car, but even entering its third and last generation, it was already woefully outdated.

Also, the PI is a "discontented" Taurus...? I guess if I were a *de-contented* car, I'd be "discontented" too. ;)

Ford can take a TPI drop in the upcoming N/A D 2.7, ( eb 2.0 is too costly/possible turbo issues and 3.5/3.7 is too much for cab and businessmen)put it in the car , alternative fuel and engine options, there you go. Or/and give it a new name for the entire police/fleet market so Taurus won't have hurt resale (Custom, LTD?).

They had a rather torquey V8 before... but now a 3.5L V6 is too much?

To what else you're saying though... I don't know if this has been discussed, but there remains a possibility that when the next Taurus bows on CD4, the PI could still remain on the D3 platform for as long as Ford keeps that platform running. (Someone feel free to correct me if this is in fact not possible.)

• 2 months later...

OK...was at the New York State Fair....saw my first Ford PI Troop car....for Chevrolet and Dodge, it is all over but the crying....next to it was a Caprice PPV and a Charger PP.....placard on both the Chevy and Dodge read to the effect that NYS bought 10 for testing as a possible replacement to the Crown Victoria PI...placard on the Ford PI went into detail of the specs of the car and from what I was told....Ford is the way they are going from this point forward....

DSC_0732_zps357acbaf.jpg

Here is a cool test UI in NYS Police "stealth" layout....interesting piece for sure....

DSC_0743_zpsd2ab1797.jpg

• Like 1

Well anyone who just bought PI sedans probably won't replace them that quickly. But departments which were on the fence before won't be now :shift:

Thanks, this is a real transitional period where PDs bought up big on CVPI prior to its ending, then toe in the water with the new PI and PI Ute

but Ford would be pleased with the response to the new vehicles, the Ute in particular.

Maybe this is a case of the PDs not know what a new product will be like until they have the units in day to day grind

seeing all the little quirks and advantages, I have feeling the Ute's greater versatility is making it a winner..