Focus ST

So I bought Focus ST yesterday. The dealership experience was let's just say interesting. Call me a snob but after buying our new Range Rover Supercharged two weeks ago over the phone this was a nightmare.

As for the car. It's amazing. I like it better than the XFR. Lol. Only thing I don't get and perhaps I just didn't know this. No backup camera or sensors. I forget to look because I'm so used to that feature.

• Like 1

So I bought Focus ST yesterday. The dealership experience was let's just say interesting. Call me a snob but after buying our new Range Rover Supercharged two weeks ago over the phone this was a nightmare.

As for the car. It's amazing. I like it better than the XFR. Lol. Only thing I don't get and perhaps I just didn't know this. No backup camera or sensors. I forget to look because I'm so used to that feature.

No back up camera is what kept me out of the ST.

I'll have to live with MKZ as I was cross shopping the SHO, the ST, and the MKZ. I know that's a strange combination of considerations.

No back up camera is what kept me out of the ST.

I'll have to live with MKZ as I was cross shopping the SHO, the ST, and the MKZ. I know that's a strange combination of considerations.

Seriuosly, who doesnt buy a car because of the lack of a backup camera....its a CAR not a box truck!

You got 3 mirrors and you can.....wait for it.....turn your head and look. I'm sorry, thats just lame.

• Like 2

Seriuosly, who doesnt buy a car because of the lack of a backup camera....its a CAR not a box truck!

You got 3 mirrors and you can.....wait for it.....turn your head and look. I'm sorry, thats just lame.

Well.. I for one....

After owning a 2 cars with a rear camera since 2009... Wife and I will never own another vehicle without a rear/backup camera.

We also like the rear traffic monitor on our Fusion when backing up.

Edited by mettech

I would opt out of having a backup camera. I am certain I am alone in what I want in a car as the car buying public has changed its perception of what a car should be.

I want a real car. A car in which I am in control and making the decisions. A car I can drive. No phones; no MFT; no camera; no GPS. Just a car, a map, a road, freedom and me.

I guess me!

At one time one could've said: Who needs a car with mirrors, or an electric starter, or power steering, power brakes, a radio, an FM stereo, and on and on. Times change; for the better, the worse, or just for the fact they change.

After having one for the first time on my Escape, I too will never buy a car without a rear camera. I'll be looking at a C-Max Energi in 4-5 years and I'm disappointed that you have to purchase the 302A package for the camera, oh well, there's more goodies with that package. As far as solely relying on it, I don't. When in doubt I make sure by physically looking to make sure it's clear, but backing into my garage parking space, or any space it works great.

After having one for the first time on my Escape, I too will never buy a car without a rear camera. I'll be looking at a C-Max Energi in 4-5 years and I'm disappointed that you have to purchase the 302A package for the camera, oh well, there's more goodies with that package. As far as solely relying on it, I don't. When in doubt I make sure by physically looking to make sure it's clear, but backing into my garage parking space, or any space it works great.

Exactly, just because a person has or wants a backup camera doesn't mean they won't ever use the mirrors!

I'm sorry I think it can be more dangerous. Its lazy and imo no substitute for visually checking all mirrors looking with your eyes. I've watched my neighbors wife back her MKT up staring at that stupid screen and almost sideswipe her husbands F150. Its driving, not a video game.

Judgemental much??

I challenge you to get in that MKT, or my Explorer Sport, or an Escape, and be able to see behind you. Please, go right ahead and try. I will let you know what you see when you look behind you, out of the back window.................. you see the neighbors house across the street. You do not see what is directly behind you because of the high cowl. This is a situation with most new vehicles.

If you drive a truck, you don't understand. You have terrific an huge mirrors that show you everything.................. like the mirrors on my SD do. In the Explorer Sport, it is a combination of exterior mirrors, glancing behind, and the rear view camera, to really see what you need to see.

Well, that is unless you like running over children, dogs, and anything else that can hide behind your vehicle, including another, smaller vehicle.

So please, don't be an ass about it.

BTW, to the OP, congrats on the ST. Fabulous vehicle, and it was also one of our considerations when we bought our Beastie (the Explorer Sport). What color did you get??

Edited by Extreme4x4

Judgemental much??

I challenge you to get in that MKT, or my Explorer Sport, or an Escape, and be able to see behind you. Please, go right ahead and try. I will let you know what you see when you look behind you, out of the back window.................. you see the neighbors house across the street. You do not see what is directly behind you because of the high cowl. This is a situation with most new vehicles.

If you drive a truck, you don't understand. You have terrific an huge mirrors that show you everything.................. like the mirrors on my SD do. In the Explorer Sport, it is a combination of exterior mirrors, glancing behind, and the rear view camera, to really see what you need to see.

Well, that is unless you like running over children, dogs, and anything else that can hide behind your vehicle, including another, smaller vehicle.

So please, don't be an ass about it.

BTW, to the OP, congrats on the ST. Fabulous vehicle, and it was also one of our considerations when we bought our Beastie (the Explorer Sport). What color did you get??

I said I can't believe someone would make a backup camera a deciding factor on a vehicle purchase and I stand by that. And I look behind my vehicle before I get in and make sure there are no children lying behind it..stfu with names.

But I guess I should have expected this watching people drive around the mall parking lot. 60 percent of the population couldn't back a car into a space if they had to.

Maybe they should put a camera at each corner so they tell how much room is up front....like 5 feet left.

Edited by twmalonehunter

I can see where a rear view camera can be helpful...I know when I drive my GF's Escape, it would be useful to see excatly where the car behind me is when I back up in a parking spot without any visual aids (other parked cars etc), For example, yesterday I was kinda parallel parking in-between two cars that where parked around a gentle corner...I could see the car behind me no problem, but once I lost sight of the headlights due the top of the liftgate, I had a hard time judging how close I was to the front of the car....a rearview camera would be helpful with that.

People can't park with great mirrors, why would they be able to park with a rear camera.

It is an aid for those of us who can park.

You know its bad, when I park my SD and a guy comes up to me telling me what a great job I did. I mean, it's nice, but shouldn't that be the norm?? Looking around at how trucks are parked, it is quite obvious that it is not the norm.

Twmalonehunter, your explanation is all nice and good if everyone and everything was stationary. In a world where people and objects move, not so much. Once again, I challenge you to drive one of the vehicles stated, and tell me that the rear camera would not be useful. I also challenge you to be able to adjust the mirrors on said vehicles, so they cover everything you need to see. Then you wouldn't be so cocky about it.

Ok guys your missing the point. I mean the car stickers for almost $30k and while I don't know the average age of the driver of a Focus ST I'm 45 and I want all the toys. Here's what it needs. Rear cameras, blind spot warning, stereo sucks, the knobs on the climate control are for I guess 6 year olds. Dying for paddle shifters.

Other than that I'm happy. I got the blue.

• Like 1

Ok guys your missing the point. I mean the car stickers for almost $30k and while I don't know the average age of the driver of a Focus ST I'm 45 and I want all the toys. Here's what it needs. Rear cameras, blind spot warning, stereo sucks, the knobs on the climate control are for I guess 6 year olds. Dying for paddle shifters. Other than that I'm happy. I got the blue.

Did you see the link I provided? Apparently the rear camera exists in all MFT/MLT but needs to be unlocked. Worth looking into.

IF all else fails there are rear view mirrors with back cameras available. I think they all are a great additions to safety. We've had this discussion before re back up cameras! Disregard the naysayers, they are just validating why they don't have it........so be it.

Edited by timmm55

Ok guys your missing the point. I mean the car stickers for almost $30k and while I don't know the average age of the driver of a Focus ST I'm 45 and I want all the toys. Here's what it needs. Rear cameras, blind spot warning, stereo sucks, the knobs on the climate control are for I guess 6 year olds. Dying for paddle shifters. Other than that I'm happy. I got the blue.

you can add backup sensors and a mirror based backup display....classicsofttrim.com. as for paddles...its a manual...and at 30 k that cars a steal......congrats, quit grinning, thats an option.