All-New Ford Transit Chassis Cab and Cutaway Versions

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=37772

All-New Ford Transit Chassis Cab and Cutaway Versions Join Widest Range of Commercial Chassis Offerings
  • All-new Ford Transit chassis cab and cutaway variations join the nation’s best-selling lineup of commercial vehicles, giving Ford customers best-in-class fuel economy, the segment’s lowest cost of ownership and increased capability
  • Ford offers the industry’s broadest lineup of chassis, chassis cab and cutaway configurations, adaptability that enables commercial customers to better optimize vehicles to specific needs and tasks
  • Ford Transit chassis cab and cutaway models will be built at the company’s Kansas City assembly plant

14TransitChassis_570.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich., March 5, 2013 – Ford Motor Company announced today the introduction of the all-new Transit chassis cab and cutaway models, engineered to tackle an almost unlimited variety of specialized jobs and vocations.
Transit chassis cab features an enclosed passenger compartment and bare frame ready to accept aftermarket body modules ranging from custom cargo delivery to utility body. Transit cutaway is similar to the chassis cab, but with the rear of the passenger compartment open so it can be paired with specialty body modules such as shuttle or school bus bodies.
The chassis cab and cutaway will be offered in three wheelbases, 138, 156 or 178 inches, and gross vehicle weight ratings from 9,000 pounds to 10,360 pounds.
“No other automaker offers the variety and adaptability that Ford Motor Company brings to our commercial customers,” said Len Deluca, director, Ford Commercial Vehicles. “Transit’s best-in-class capabilities are combined with an extensive nationwide network of commercial upfitters to provide an unparalleled number of body choices to suit almost any job.”
Transit chassis cab and cutaway models join the industry’s broadest lineup of commercial chassis, which include E-Series cutaway and stripped chassis, F-Series Super Duty chassis cab, F-650 and F-750 medium-duty chassis cab and F-59 stripped chassis.

Good. But when will they hit the floor? And I do not mean like at the Cleveland Auto Show where they has a Transit on display, but it was locked and no one really knew much about it. Sort of "look but do not touch". Is there a an upfitters manual or body builders guide? If not, when will it be available? This stuff is critical to the market that buys these.

Lfeg I would love some more concrete info also. I am so disappointed that now Ford says spring 2014 for release, I need a new van now. Hell its probably gonna be summer of next year when they were originally saying Fall 2013. I'm Ford all the way but I might be forced into looking deeper into the Sprinter.

Lfeg I would love some more concrete info also. I am so disappointed that now Ford says spring 2014 for release, I need a new van now. Hell its probably gonna be summer of next year when they were originally saying Fall 2013. I'm Ford all the way but I might be forced into looking deeper into the Sprinter.

Well, there is the new Ram Promaster coming out in "late summer 2013" according to Dod..err, I mean Fia...ummm, sorry, Ram...

I don't understand why they didn't go with the "Tradesman" name for their vans.... :headscratch:

RAM-ProMaster-business.jpg

That GVWR of only 10,360 is disappointing. The Sprinter's have 11,030. That 700 lbs makes a big difference in the RV market. My Winnebago on a Sprinter chassis weighs in at 10,700 with a full tank of fuel and water and enough food and stuff for a week. That is with 2 people on board. So I'm about 300 under the max on the Sprinter, but about 300 over on the Transit assuming the same size and weight RV body. I was sure hoping to hear that the transit would be a little more capable than the Sprinter.

That GVWR of only 10,360 is disappointing. The Sprinter's have 11,030. That 700 lbs makes a big difference in the RV market. My Winnebago on a Sprinter chassis weighs in at 10,700 with a full tank of fuel and water and enough food and stuff for a week. That is with 2 people on board. So I'm about 300 under the max on the Sprinter, but about 300 over on the Transit assuming the same size and weight RV body. I was sure hoping to hear that the transit would be a little more capable than the Sprinter.

The top weight limit on the Transit seems to be chosen specifically to not overlap with the E-series chassis.

Ford is keeping the E-series chassis in production so you have to look at the Transit cab chassis and E-series cab chassis together to get the full picture of what they are trying to do:

Transit SRW 138"/156": 9,000 or 9,500 lbs (I'm guessing the 3.7 V6 has lower rating vs. Ecoboost and diesel that have higher rating)

Transit DRW 138"/156"/178": 9,950 or 10,360 lbs

E-350 SRW 138"/158": 10,050 lbs

E-350 DRW 138"/158": 11,500 lbs

E-350 DRW 176": 12,500 lbs

E-450 DRW: 14,050 lbs

Sprinter 3500 DWR: 11,030 lbs

Ford has the Sprinter covered from both sides. I'm also fairly certain that if Ford does decide to stop making E-350, they can up-rate the Transit to cover some of the ground.

Edited by bzcat

BZCAT

Thanks for the analysis. I suspect you are right. But I sure hope the next RV I buy in a couple of years can have a Ford chassis. I don't like the E series for driver comfort or for fuel use, especially compared to the Sprinter. But I don't like having to try to find service from a Mercedes dealer.

Notice the cab chassis comes with Dual wheels, perfect for a truck body if Ford wanted to offer one ,

just to stir up businesses that buy gasoline powered Silverado as work trucks.

Box bodies and utility bodies will be the majority. In the US Ford works through upfitters, Ford really does not offer any kind of package other than the ship through program. There will be some platform and stake bodies available, but price wise they will not compete with pickups. A while back I priced out a cab and chassis F350 SRW with a nine foot pickup style body. Total price (from Ford, body company, and upfitter) was well north of a comparable pickup with an 8 foot bed.

This is a European program, so blame any (of the so far, multiple) slips on them ! IIRC, the original EU launch was supposed to be 2012cy.

This is a European program, so blame any (of the so far, multiple) slips on them ! IIRC, the original EU launch was supposed to be 2012cy.

the FWD Transit custom did launch in the summer of 2012, escape production at KCAP did not stop until spring of 2012, was it a reasonable expectation that it would take 6 months to retool the plant for the Transit?

Really? so the retooling of KCAP is under the supervision of Ford of Europe? can you confirm this?

be careful when you presume to know the ins and out of specific programs, delays can come from anywhere in such a complex program.

BTW the configurator is up HERE

Edited by Biker16

Those pictures showing the frame look just like the pix that were posted quite a while ago of what were obviously Euro trucks-almost looked like some sort of unibody type structure vs a BOF type- then again thsat is what these things will be right? Unibody vs BOF. Would agree in any case that this upper limit is saying to me that a lot of dependency will still be placed on E series to cover the market.

the FWD Transit custom did launch in the summer of 2012, escape production at KCAP did not stop until spring of 2012, was it a reasonable expectation that it would take 6 months to retool the plant for the Transit?

Really? so the retooling of KCAP is under the supervision of Ford of Europe? can you confirm this?

be careful when you presume to know the ins and out of specific programs, delays can come from anywhere in such a complex program.

BTW the configurator is up HERE

The configuator can tell you if the combination of body type, wheelbase, and height is available. And can list GVWRs. Other than that, just general verbage on features. Absolutely no specifics.

BZCAT

Thanks for the analysis. I suspect you are right. But I sure hope the next RV I buy in a couple of years can have a Ford chassis. I don't like the E series for driver comfort or for fuel use, especially compared to the Sprinter. But I don't like having to try to find service from a Mercedes dealer.

Sure... if I'm in the market, I would want a Transit chassis motor home instead of an E-series one too. Perfectly understandable.

However, I will just point out further that based on GVWR, it looks like Ford is marketing the Transit in North America as a de facto "T-150" and "T-250". At least for now... Ford is probably concerned about the durability of the new transmission/engine/chassis combo at higher weights (that's my guess). They might want to see more real life warranty/service patterns before they up the weight to "T-350" and "T-450" and pull the plug on E-series.

Edited by bzcat

Those pictures showing the frame look just like the pix that were posted quite a while ago of what were obviously Euro trucks-almost looked like some sort of unibody type structure vs a BOF type- then again thsat is what these things will be right? Unibody vs BOF. Would agree in any case that this upper limit is saying to me that a lot of dependency will still be placed on E series to cover the market.

Integral stamped ladder frame is the phrase you're searching for. Doing that instead of a separate hydro form frame is going to save Ford plenty of cash.

Sure... if I'm in the market, I would want a Transit chassis motor home instead of an E-series one too. Perfectly understandable.

However, I will just point out further that based on GVWR, it looks like Ford is marketing the Transit in North America as a de facto "T-150" and "T-250". At least for now... Ford is probably concerned about the durability of the new transmission/engine/chassis combo at higher weights (that's my guess). They might want to see more real life warranty/service patterns before they up the weight to "T-350" and "T-450" and pull the plug on E-series.

realize you wont be able to get a V10 or a 6.0 diesel.....maybe thats one reason the GVWRs were limited....

realize you wont be able to get a V10 or a 6.0 diesel.....maybe thats one reason the GVWRs were limited....

That's right, Transit is not replacing all E Series but making the smaller Vans and cut aways as efficient as possible

will put a lot more sales at Ford's doorstep and make competitors sit up and notice, efficient I-5 diesel will be popular.

No, I don't think that is it. The Sprinter 3.0 diesel is 188 hp and about 380 fp of torque. It does a more than OK job in RV's of the 25ft size. All 3 engines in the Transit lineup are stronger than that. And while I don't know about the 6.0 diesel, I do know that the V10 in the E series is the old one with only 2 valves. Ford has got to be anxious to end of life that old dog, if only to free up manufacturing capacity.

No, I don't think that is it. The Sprinter 3.0 diesel is 188 hp and about 380 fp of torque. It does a more than OK job in RV's of the 25ft size. All 3 engines in the Transit lineup are stronger than that. And while I don't know about the 6.0 diesel, I do know that the V10 in the E series is the old one with only 2 valves. Ford has got to be anxious to end of life that old dog, if only to free up manufacturing capacity.

understand, but realize if you weigh that chassis down with a 25 footer, if you want ANY semblance of mileage you will NEED a diesel....never driven a Sprinter, so I cant vouch, but I would question its capabilities especially in hilly terrain...

Integral stamped ladder frame is the phrase you're searching for. Doing that instead of a separate hydro form frame is going to save Ford plenty of cash.

JPD-Thx for the definition-and no doubt, lower production cost is good-but can that type of construction work in the higher GVW's??

Remember the E-550? It was offered for about two years with I think a max GVW of 19,000 lbs, had an I beam front end, a heavy truck. Dealer friend of mine was really disapointed when they pulled the plug as he felt the truck was catching on. Can't say I understood why that weight class in an E offered that much distinction from an F 550 but apparently the turning radius for one thing was enough justification to many buyers.

Over 18 months ago, I was told by some one working at the Pilot Plant on the program, the RWD version was delayed because EU did not have the "talent" to design for US crash standards. A small team of US engineers was put on the job.

If you know that far in advance that you aren't going to meet your targeted launch, then why not keep building a proven money maker.

As for the tooling issue, I'm certain that local people were responsible for installation, but I also pretty certain that EU choose the tooling suppliers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad when a launch slips in order to resolve issues ! I would rather see vehicles designed and built correctly rather than "paint it blue and ship it through" !

I think folks are just frustrated because they have been waiting for the US Transit for a loooooong time !

Notice the cab chassis comes with Dual wheels, perfect for a truck body if Ford wanted to offer one ,

just to stir up businesses that buy gasoline powered Silverado as work trucks.

I will be absolutely SHOCKED if anyone puts a stake bed, dump or other body on one of those in the US !

Ford wants those markets for Super Duty and Medium Duty.

I will be absolutely SHOCKED if anyone puts a stake bed, dump or other body on one of those in the US !

Ford wants those markets for Super Duty and Medium Duty.

and I wouldnt be, in fact quite the opposite...and an awful lot of that will be a direct result of the Transit having choices of the 3.7, 3.5 eco and more importantly the diesel, instead of haveing the ONE choice of a 6.2 gas hog.....

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how those 2 very different solutions work in "the real world" ! My "gut" says the traditional frame (either hydro formed or the traditional C channel with riveted cross members) is stiffer and more durable.