Europe To Get "SVO Like" Turbocharged 2.3 Litre 4 Cylinder Mustang

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/07/ford-mustang-to-get-four-cylinder-in-europe-but-not-us/

According to the report, Ford will put a version of its EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder into the engine bay of the Mustang. The engine would be enlarged from its current 2.0 liters to 2.3 liters, taking horsepower from 252 to around 300. The well-known 5.0 V8 engine will also be available in Europe.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

Why would Ford enlarge the current 2.0 to 2.3 when the new variable architecture 2.3 Ecoboost will be available beyond 2014.

The main aim of the new architecture is increased fuel efficiency, not outright progressive increases in power and torque.

People in the rest of the world who buy Mustangs do so because they want the V8, practically none of the V6 are seen in other markets

and I doubt the 2.3 turbo will make much of a slpash in Europe in any case, it's the answer to a question that the market isn't asking.

Edited by jpd80

you are wrong, And don't have a clue.

Most of those opinions are based on Europeans having access to their own sports cars,

the Americans generally have big thirsty (to them ) engines so old prejudices live on.

But for those that want them, the Mustang and Camaro as V8s are desirable,

they are a smallish niche of buyers but usually prepared to pay a good price.

I don't think an I-4 Turbo Mustang is a good Idea in Europe,

I could be wrong but if you were to restyle it and call it CAPRI

then I take back everything I just said.

Oh, I think an I-4 turbo Mustang will do just fine in Europe--among those who already have a positive opinion of the Mustang. It will hardly 'expand' the appeal of a product about which European enthusiasts have already made up their minds both for and against.

But I do agree that if it was named Capri, was built in Europe, and was at least rumored to have been developed by Europeans, it would do substantially better.

• Like 1

Oh, I think an I-4 turbo Mustang will do just fine in Europe--among those who already have a positive opinion of the Mustang. It will hardly 'expand' the appeal of a product about which European enthusiasts have already made up their minds both for and against.

But I do agree that if it was named Capri, was built in Europe, and was at least rumored to have been developed by Europeans, it would do substantially better.

That's why the CD4 Coupe was started but sadly cancelled at the moment, too much turmoil in Europe for small niche products..

If Ford is doing an EB I-4 Mustang for North America, who really cares about Europe and ROW sales......

Edited by jpd80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4977ABZWxe0

Yeah. I'm wrong about EU prejudices against American cars.

You think the next mustang with it's European styling, and all new IRS, brings nothing new to the table?

Ford needs to sell ~30,000 mustangs in the EU to make it worthwhile, i don;t think it will be problem.

Edited by Biker16

That's why the CD4 Coupe was started but sadly cancelled at the moment, too much turmoil in Europe for small niche products..

If Ford is doing an EB I-4 Mustang for North America, who really cares about Europe and ROW sales......

I thought it was the Focus coupe not a CD4 coupe.

On one of the recent British Top Gear's, they had their usual "News" section. The information they were given was that there would be no V8 Mustang offered in Europe. Only a 2.0 liter Ecoboost. They basically declared it "rubbish" and don't even bother selling it there.

If the first story is correct, then Top Gear has their info wrong on two points. EB is supposed to be a 2.3, and there will be a V8.

You think the next mustang with it's European styling, and all new IRS, brings nothing new to the table?

Ford needs to sell ~30,000 mustangs in the EU to make it worthwhile, i don;t think it will be problem.

- No. It's still a Mustang and it will still be "compromised" to meet a price point.

- Citation needed. I find laughable the idea that Ford would bend over backward for incremental volume in a collapsing market that is notorious for its jingoist tendencies (most popular retail brand in the US? Toyota--so please let's not pretend the US is as jingoistic as France, Germany or Italy when it comes to cars).

Edited by RichardJensen

Makes no sense to build a 2.3EB that is for "Europe only" and only in the Mustang. Flies in the face of everything "One Ford".

2.3 EB is approved for Focus RS and probably a few other cars we don't yet know about at the moment.

One Ford doesn't preclude different drivetrain packages for different regions. We don't get diesel Focus in the US and Europeans won't get 3.5 Ecoboost in their Transit van.

Okay...here's the two main points I see in the "why not us?" debate:

1. The US doesn't tax for engine displacement, while various European countries (UK included) do so.

2. That being the case, if the turbo 4 doesn't get much better real-world performance than a V6...and let's face it, the test results tend to crush many high mpg claims...there'd be no real gain in offering it here. As much as I was a fan of the SVO and I do think about what a lighter, 350 hp Mustang would be like compared to the heavier V8 sibling...I don't know how much market there would be without substantial mileage gains.

The reason why we don't see a V6 in Fusion is because the Ecoboost 2.0 gives better economy,

That has been demonstrated across several vehicles now and we should expect similar results with Mustang

This undertow of opinion that the EPA numbers are questionable is all stemming from one source, CR.

I find it amusing that their secretive test cycles are held up as a gold standard to challenge EPA fuel economy claims.

That to me is pants on backwards thinking.

Edited by jpd80

According to this the USA gets the turbo 4.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/future-car-news/news-2015-mustang-gets-ecoboost-four-in-us-market?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1459_7246696

Now, if this is true how does this fit into the Mustang line? Say 125 hp per liter and you have about 288 horse power. How do you position this engine in the Mustang with the 3.7 still around? By the way, I thought R and T is full of *&^^% about their theories about placement. I cant see this engine being slotted above the 3.7. What am I missing?

Edited by chevys