Farley Says Lincoln is Learning in China

From the Automotive News article:

"Many customers savor the experience of shopping for luxury products and genuinely seem to enjoy the interaction with the sales professionals"

Here's a lesson: If you want to attract customers that "savor the experience of shopping for luxury products", you must have luxury products to sell.

When is that going to happen with Lincoln?

From the Automotive News article:

Here's a lesson: If you want to attract customers that "savor the experience of shopping for luxury products", you must have luxury products to sell.

When is that going to happen with Lincoln?

Despite what you and tne naysayers keep claiming, they already sell luxury products. MKZ seems to be going at full steam now, MKC is right around the corner.

FFS, it's getting tiresome saying the same things over and over when we ALL have known what the plan is all along. None of you have the patience for it. Thankfully it appears Lincoln's management does.

Critics, observers and armchair CEOs want novelty from Lincoln, they want gimmicks.

To them, it is inconceivable that the path to a better Lincoln begins with fundamentally well built vehicles that match buyer expectations.

The MKZ is not a gimmicky car (push button transmission notwithstanding); it is a supremely competent car that is aimed squarely at its prospective customers.

And--surprise, surprise--the market has accepted it.

Companies get in trouble when they confuse the people who shout the loudest with the people who most need to be pleased.

• Like 2

China is different in many ways to America, the people's attitude towards Lincoln is not poisoned by a perception of neglect.

How fickle are Lincoln critics, they consider Lincoln products as trim options of Ford originators

but then view Lincoln's financial position and sales s as though it was a stand alone company

These same morons fell all over themselves with praise and awards for the Cadillac ATS

yet that car is selling at such a mediocre pace, you'd swear it ready for a refresh...

Edited by jpd80

IMO the whole subject of "luxury" is completely subjective.

My idea of luxury is an S Class Merc or an A8 Audi or a 7 Series BMW MINIMUM. It's not an E class or a 5 series or an A6. It's not a Lincoln or a Cadillac. They all sit somewhere below that mark.

Other people have different ideas and that's OK, but for mine, anything below that mark is semi-luxury, mid-level executive territory. Luxury - true luxury - says you've made it. If driving an e class or a 5 series (or an ATS or an MKZ) tells the world you've made it, good luck to you.

Good point, but don't discount the snob factor either..thats why lots of lower end luxury cars like the 3 series get sold (I'm sure some of the higher end models are pretty nice, but the lower end/lease specials, not so much) because of the coattails of the higher end models.

Going with that...thats why Lincoln gets looked down upon by the automotive press..they don't have a true "inspirational" Flagship car

But at the same time, I really don't think Lincoln needs that now either...

My idea of luxury is an S Class Merc or an A8 Audi or a 7 Series BMW MINIMUM. It's not an E class or a 5 series or an A6. It's not a Lincoln or a Cadillac. They all sit somewhere below that mark.

Other people have different ideas and that's OK, but for mine, anything below that mark is semi-luxury, mid-level executive territory. Luxury - true luxury - says you've made it. If driving an e class or a 5 series (or an ATS or an MKZ) tells the world you've made it, good luck to you.

What if you just don't like fullsize cars or the pretentiousness often associated with high end luxury vehicles?

I think most people would say my parents have "made it". They still drive a Toyota Avalon and Chevy Trailblazer. :hysterical:

Edited by NickF1011

So is it size or just cost? I'm pretty sure somebody driving a new Ferrarri or Lambo or 911 would also be seen as having "made it" whatever "it" is.

In terms of marketing it has to do with dealership experience, features and amenities and quality of materials. By that definition a C class or E class or 3 series or Caddy/Lincoln could certainly qualify.

I think the upper boundaries in terms of dollars is a different type of classification. Maybe uber-luxury?

What if you just don't like fullsize cars or the pretentiousness often associated with high end luxury vehicles?

I think most people would say my parents have "made it". They still drive a Toyota Avalon and Chevy Trailblazer. :hysterical:

Truly wealthy people are not impressed with the car you drive but with the Jet you own.

China is different in many ways to America, the people's attitude towards Lincoln is not poisoned by a perception of neglect.

How fickle are Lincoln critics, they consider Lincoln products as trim options of Ford originators

but then view Lincoln's financial position and sales s as though it was a stand alone company

These same morons fell all over themselves with praise and awards for the Cadillac ATS

yet that car is selling at such a mediocre pace, you'd swear it ready for a refresh...

I didn't know the ATS' sales were few and far between, but if that's really the case, then it has to be because there isn't enough room (and trunk space) inside for such an expensive car. Trust me, I wanted to love the ATS. It looks superb, it's very well crafted and it drives like a charm. But I couldn't justify spending $4-5,000 more for an ATS and get less car than with a comparatively equipped MKZ. Plus, I was in love with the MKZ's look and wanted to try a Ford product. So there.

Edited by VirtualAmerican

I didn't know the ATS' sales were few and far between, but if that's really the case, then it has to be because there isn't enough room (and trunk space) inside for such an expensive car. Trust me, I wanted to love the ATS. It looks superb, it's very well crafted and it drives like a charm. But I couldn't justify spending $4-5,000 more for an ATS and get less car than with a comparatively equipped MKZ. Plus, I was in love with the MKZ's look and wanted to try a Ford product. So there.

Last month ATS sales were around 2700, Cadillac now has ATS inventory over 14,000 or 111 days supply, quite astonishing for this time of year.

Last month ATS sales were around 2700, Cadillac now has ATS inventory over 14,000 or 111 days supply, quite astonishing for this time of year.

Cadillac is trying to offer an American 3-Series, but most people who want that type of car will simply buy the real thing. Especially since every test of both vehicles has revealed areas where the ATS falls short compared to the BMW.