Strategery: Next-gen Acadia, SRX to share new platform?

PREMiERdrum

It's a bit like reading tea leaves, but stick with me.

The 2016 Acadia and SRX have been using internal code names that indicate a new platform. The program, referred to as "C1UX" generically, calls the Acadia "C1UG" and the SRX "C1UL". In GM speak, the first letter of the code name refers to the platform (A= Alpha, L=Lambda, etc).

We know that the new-for-2016 Lambda products, at least Traverse and Enclave, are moving to a version of the next-gen Epsilon platform, but there have been rumblings for a while that the new Acadia would shrink in size.

With the next Equinox and Terrain shrinking down onto the Global Delta architecture, a slightly smaller Acadia could make a little sense. In the same vein, a slightly larger SRX than the current Theta-based version would help make room for the new compact crossover coming to the Wreath and Crest brand.

If I had to guess, I would say that there will be two differently proportioned crossover variants of the next Epsilon: A smaller C1UX (Acadia, SRX), and a larger [_]1UX (Traverse, Enclave).

While it does help them spread their crossover offerings over a better size range compared to their current lineup of "too small" (Encore), "tweeners" (Equniox, Terrain, SRX), and "really big" (Traverse, Acadia, Enclave), it also seems like they are still having trouble providing truly differentiated products to their brands and sales channels.

Of course, knowing the players over at the RecCen, it's not out of the question to think that the C1UX will be a RWD crossover platform to help the GMC and Cadillac offerings stand out.

Come 2016, GM Crossover lineup:

Gamma: Buick Encore, Chevrolet Trax (not currently for sale in US)

Alpha: Cadillac CUV*

Delta: Chevrolet Equinox, GMC Terrain, Buick Anthem, Cadillac CUV*

( ): GMC Acadia, Cadillac SRX

( ): Chevrolet Traverse, Buick Enclave

*The smallest Caddy CUV will ride on either Alpha or Delta, but it is just one program.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Given that the Acadia has been one of the better performers of the bunch, it would seem strange for them to try to reposition it size-wise. It is GM though.

I see one of two things...

1. They are so set on these ham fisted "efforts" to show that they're being proactive in "fixing" obvious problems (like the emergency Malibu "refresh")... "Look! You said we had too many overlapping products in the showroom! See? We're fixing it! See?"

or

2. RWD. You know GM and RWD.

If this scenario is accurate, it means that the SRX has switched to a completely different platform each time it has been redesigned.

Also, I'm going to demand that PREMiERDRUM provide each of us with a bottle of hard liquor if he continues to write posts about GM's product plans and expects us to read them in their entirety...

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 1

If this scenario is accurate, it means that the SRX has switched to a completely different platform each time it has been redesigned.

Also, I'm going to demand that PREMiERDRUM provide each of us with a bottle of hard liquor if he continues to write posts about GM's product plans and expects us to read them in their entirety...

My posts are strictly BYOB. :party:

Edited by PREMiERdrum
  • Like 1

After thinking on this for a moment, isn't it possible that this is actually referring to the Acadia and next Escalade sharing a platform, which would leave the SRX as a midsizer moving forward on Delta? Seems to make more sense. I doubt Cadillac would offer 3 CUVs in addition to the Escalade.

After thinking on this for a moment, isn't it possible that this is actually referring to the Acadia and next Escalade sharing a platform, which would leave the SRX as a midsizer moving forward on Delta? Seems to make more sense. I doubt Cadillac would offer 3 CUVs in addition to the Escalade.

Don't think too logically.....it is GM we're talking about here....

• Like 1

A Cadillac Lambda to replace Escalade has been in development since the origins of the Enclave/Acadia/Outlook project (Traverse was a late add - go figure). However, the timing of these 2016 models doesn't really fit for this new Cadillac CUV to fully replace Escalade, since the new K2XX products are new-for-2014. This new CUV will allow them to offer a softer, more efficient luxury 3-row while keeping Escalade in the K2 program.

The compact Cadillac is either Delta or Alpha, but neither are SRX. If I'm picking things up correctly, the new compact will be Alpha based, with the next SRX being a largish-midsize based on a "C" variant of Epsilon. Buick's Anthem will join Equinox and Terrain on Delta.

So, in 2016, I expect...

Cadillac ARX (compact, 2 row)

Cadillac SRX (midsize, 3 row)

Cadillac Escalade (full size, 3 row)

Edited by PREMiERdrum

A Cadillac Lambda to replace Escalade has been in development since the origins of the Enclave/Acadia/Outlook project (Traverse was a late add - go figure). However, the timing of these 2016 models doesn't really fit for this new Cadillac CUV to fully replace Escalade, since the new K2XX products are new-for-2014. This new CUV will allow them to offer a softer, more efficient luxury 3-row while keeping Escalade in the K2 program.

The compact Cadillac is either Delta or Alpha, but neither are SRX. If I'm picking things up correctly, the new compact will be Alpha based, with the next SRX being a largish-midsize based on a "C" variant of Epsilon. Buick's Anthem will join Equinox and Terrain on Delta.

So, in 2016, I expect...

That would make more sense. Your original post made it look like you expect both the SRX and another midsize-ish CUV to co-exist, which doesn't sound right.

That would make more sense. Your original post made it look like you expect both the SRX and another midsize-ish CUV to co-exist, which doesn't sound right.

Well, had I added the damn footnote I intended to at the outset, it would have made more sense! OP now edited, for your reading pleasure.

So, in 2016, I expect...

That makes sense, except that it looks as though there will be considerable overlap among the crossovers offered by Buick, Cadillac and GMC.

Edited by grbeck

In other markets, Escape/Kuga competes with the Theta based Captiva, the original short wheelbase version of Equinox,

I see this as an admission by GM that a new Delta based SUV will fill the Captiva/Equinox vehicle role, better aligning

with Escape and other compact Utilities while Epsilon II based SUVs could cover rivals to Edge and Explorer.

I dunno, it all sounds too hard for GM to listen to market research, other regions, stay on plan and not go RWD.

You just know that GMNA will want to break ranks and screw up a simple logical plan....

Edited by jpd80

So, in 2016, I expect...

I get a headache trying to figure GM product planning out........I had to look back at several different posts within this thread multiple times just to even respond :headbang: hahaha

Well, had I added the damn footnote I intended to at the outset, it would have made more sense! OP now edited, for your reading pleasure.

You know, I wondered about that - saw the asterisk and no explanation lol

In other markets, Escape/Kuga competes with the Theta based Captiva, the original short wheelbase version of Equinox,

I see this as an admission by GM that a new Delta based SUV will fill the Captiva/Equinox vehicle role, better aligning

with Escape and other compact Utilities while Epsilon II based SUVs could cover rivals to Edge and Explorer.

I dunno, it all sounds too hard for GM to listen to market research, other regions, stay on plan and not go RWD.

You just know that GMNA will want to break ranks and screw up a simple logical plan....

Captiva, or the Captiva Sport (aka Saturn Vue) that we get here?

I suppose there's no point in trying to make sense of this, but at that point, why would you not just merge the Captiva and new Equinox into a single global product (and keep the existing names around the world, a la Escape/Kuga or Fusion/Mondeo)??

If GM wanted that Omega platform so bad, they should have designed the new Escalade on it. The regular would be the full size XTS replacement wheel base and the Uber sedan's long wheel base would be the EXT version. The Cadillac Escalade should be on a car based platform as it does not need to be on a stump pulling truck platform. It should be a great handling smooth riding luxury cuv. That would move Cadillac into the image they are trying to make with the ATS. Then the move of the SRX would make that a smaller cuv in the image of the Escalade. And an ATS one would round out the line up nicely.

...But now the Uber sedan appears to be dead.

So let me see if I've got this straight:

GM's new strategy is 'screw Chevrolet'?

That's basically the same as their old strategy, so I don't really get what the fuss is about.

Because now they're going to screw Chevrolet with even more platforms and higher development costs!

If GM wanted that Omega platform so bad, they should have designed the new Escalade on it. The regular would be the full size XTS replacement wheel base and the Uber sedan's long wheel base would be the EXT version. The Cadillac Escalade should be on a car based platform as it does not need to be on a stump pulling truck platform. It should be a great handling smooth riding luxury cuv. That would move Cadillac into the image they are trying to make with the ATS. Then the move of the SRX would make that a smaller cuv in the image of the Escalade. And an ATS one would round out the line up nicely.

...But now the Uber sedan appears to be dead.

Well, the super-duper uber sedan is dead. Apparently there will still be an Omega-based full-size RWD sedan to sit atop the lineup.

FTFY

Yes, but if GM only had Chevrolet and Cadillac, most of the overlap would be gone. The problems start when you throw Buick and GMC into the mix, and give each one several crossovers.

Edited by grbeck