2015 Ford Expedition Spied

Most, yes. But that doesn't mean this couldn't be a short turnover from refresh to all new. Just saying its possible, though not ordinary.

Why bother then?

I mean, it's still a relatively small investment (the MCE), but why invest all this time and money on an MCE when an all new model is supposedly a few years away?

I suppose I could see it if they want to 'test the waters' so to speak and see if they even need a SUV like the Expedition anymore. Ford did a great job of letting it rot on the vine while investing in other, growing segments of the market. If the MCE sells well, they may invest more, if not, then they may kill the Expedition in it's current form...or do what they did with the Explorer and turn it into a soft-roader.

1/5

Edited by EBFlex

Why bother then?

I mean, it's still a relatively small investment (the MCE), but why invest all this time and money on an MCE when an all new model is supposedly a few years away?

I suppose I could see it if they want to 'test the waters' so to speak and see if they even need a SUV like the Expedition anymore. Ford did a great job of letting it rot on the vine while investing in other, growing segments of the market. If the MCE sells well, they may invest more, if not, then they may kill the Expedition in it's current form...or do what they did with the Explorer and turn it into a soft-roader.

1/5

I was basing my post on the idea that the refresh had been worked on, halted, then restarted....meaning work was largely completed, so may as well put it out even if only for a couple years. Again, I don't know if this is what happened or will happen, just throwing out thoughts.

• Like 1

So are you suggesting Ford stick with the exact same outdated model for 10 years then? Sure, it would be ideal to do an all-new model right now, but Ford isn't prepared to do that yet. Why shouldn't they at least update it to reflect current styling and technology? Even if it only lasts 2-3 years, it lets Ford be semi-competitive until they have time and resources for an all-new model.

This is a good move. My guess is very little work has been done on an all new Expedition since most of their resources are probably being used to get the new F-150 to market next year. This update would help the Expedition get a little attention for the next 2 or 3 model years. I'm going to guess you probably won't see an all new one until sometime around MY 2018. There is no way they could just leave the current one in place that long without any updates. Well they could, but unless they want the Expedition to just become a Ranger or Crown Vic an update shows the customer and business world they are still serious about this market segment.

Edited by 2005Explorer

This Expedition dates back to 2007, an MCE on a vehicle that will be seven years old in 2014?

That doesn't sound right to me...

I agree that the timing is unusual, but with the new 2015 GM twins, they need to stay somewhat competitive..... Wings has mentioned the all-new ones are supposed to be "game-changing"..... MCEs do last longer on trucks and SUVs than they do on cars, but I think Ford wants to update their vehicles more frequently going forward.... Automotive News did call this a "re-engineer" instead of an MCE/refresh(could be both).... Ford is pretty much doing what they did with the F-150 for 2011 and 2013(new powertrains, interior, and technology updates)..... The MCE'd F-150 lasted 2 years(RE will have lasted 4), and the total is 6 years. The MCE'd Expy/Navi have lasted 8(RE lasts either 3 or 4 years), and the total will be 11 or 12 years.... Their chassis is a decade old.

Edited by nruggiero

Most, yes. But that doesn't mean this couldn't be a short turnover from refresh to all new. Just saying its possible, though not ordinary.

It is possible, and it could be the first case I've ever seen..... If it lasts only two years, the all-new model will be the Expedition's 20th anniversary model.

Just me sayin', if what has been said here is true, the MCE was already done in 2012 just held over for 2 years. If the insiders are to be believed, it sounds like a good thing to get some sales back. I think if the work has been done, it makes more sense to carry on instead of cancelling. It seems the money for the development of the MCE has been spent and it's being showed to focus groups. It sounds like a go to me. It also sounds like the next generation F-150 and Expedition will merge so it's not a big deal the chassis is considered older to some.

Hopefully, Ford will think about changing Expedition EL to Excursion and offer it in a 3/4 ton version. :drool:

I don't have an issue with that. I remember the Excursions around here got sold with pretty good ATP's. It got a bad name as a big bad SUV but Ford was criticized not just for the trucks and SUV's as 'gas-guzzlers' but the fact that little focus was placed on the small cars of their lineup. I think they have that covered now. It there's a market for it, why not? I suppose a limited run of units would satisfy the demand. That said, up here, folks have their trucks and that's good enough. :shrug:

I don't have an issue with that. I remember the Excursions around here got sold with pretty good ATP's. It got a bad name as a big bad SUV but Ford was criticized not just for the trucks and SUV's as 'gas-guzzlers' but the fact that little focus was placed on the small cars of their lineup. I think they have that covered now. It there's a market for it, why not? I suppose a limited run of units would satisfy the demand. That said, up here, folks have their trucks and that's good enough. :shrug:

I think Excursions outsold 3/4 ton Suburbans at the time..... They had powertrain options the Suburban 2500 couldn't match along with capabilities it couldn't match.... There's still a market for good 3/4 ton SUVs..... Should it be called Ford Excursion Super Duty or E-250?

Studying the pic again, I concur.

Funny, I live about 5 miles from there and did not recognize it.

Odd to see a mule out that way, esp. going North on 96/275 from that point. Though that could point to going to Bosch. I wouldn't be surprised to see these sporting the new 3.5L Ecoboost improvements and tune, or maybe it has a Diesel in it.

Edited by jasonj80

I think Excursions outsold 3/4 ton Suburbans at the time..... They had powertrain options the Suburban 2500 couldn't match along with capabilities it couldn't match.... There's still a market for good 3/4 ton SUVs..... Should it be called Ford Excursion Super Duty or E-250?

Just the 'Excursion' would suffice IMHO. Some press will bash it as a return to the 'SUV guzzling' days' while some press will point out the market and Ford will compete if it's worthy.

Just the 'Excursion' would suffice IMHO. Some press will bash it as a return to the 'SUV guzzling' days' while some press will point out the market and Ford will compete if it's worthy.

If they do offer two different versions, they ought to call the heavy duty version something specific.

A 10 speed tranny and next gen Powerstrokes and Ecoboosts should make the press shut up.

Ford really needs an all-new Expedition.....and Lincoln DESPERATELY needs a new Nav NOW.....not in 2017-2018. As a Ford fan, these two vehicles are Ford's weakest links by far. None of my Ford or Lincoln dealers near me carry them, and that's because no one wants them. If I was in the market for a BOF full-size SUV you bet i'd be looking at the GM triplets first. Although i'd never pay $80K for an Escalade Platinum, i've driven my friends and I get why so many people own them. They are wonderful machines to drive. Amazing power and sound, comfortable, and feature packed. It's a package that Ford/Lincoln can't touch with their current models. I'm sure the refresh next year will help but I don't think GM is concerned at all. I hope Ford has some MAJOR plans lined up for the all-new models.

I was basing my post on the idea that the refresh had been worked on, halted, then restarted....meaning work was largely completed, so may as well put it out even if only for a couple years. Again, I don't know if this is what happened or will happen, just throwing out thoughts.

I gotcha, that makes sense.

2/5

Most MCEs last 3-4 model years.....

About 6-8 years ago, Ford started to break model year changeovers into "pieces"; powertrain, chassis/platform, "top hat". "Top hat" referred to the sheet metal sitting on top of the chassis/platform.. Trim changes, including minor interior changes really do not count.

The real issue was to LIMIT the changes to 1 or 2 of these "pieces" at one time. So the 2015MY F150 will likely have a new "top hat" (including interior), but likely will not have any major powertrain or chassis changes. The previously announce 9/10 speed transmission will likely NOT show up in 2015MY.

Expedition may be an exception, because it has missed an entire cycle (probably because it moved from MAP to Kentucky). The next Expedition will be based on a current generation F150 chassis. will have current generation F150 powertrains and a unique "top hat" with styling cues from the F150.