Cruze Diesel Rated Dead Last

JasonM

MT's latest comparison of Eco cars was not kind to GM and their attempt to reenter the diesel car market after an inglorious past.

The Cruze diesel was rated last of 5 diesel and hybrid vehicles.

The Jetta Diesel was rated #1 which must be a further insult to GM as that was the car Chevy tried to humble. Unfortunately for GM, it didn't turn out that way. Quite the opposite in fact.

"For its narrow operational capacity, the Cruze brings up the rear of the pack. It set out to bury the Jetta TDI in engine output, highway fuel economy, and cruising mannerism, but the VW nips it in the real world"

As for Cruze's handling, "This car has no dynamic prowess whatsoever" "bumps in the road send the car heaving and bounding, and the insufficiently damped body motions become irritating."

Cruze's diesel clatter at idle is 69% louder than the Jetta. It's also significantly slower than the Jetta.

When it comes to fuel efficiency "The Chevy was particularly disappointing" The Jetta was more efficient at 39.7mpg vs 37.8 mpg. Jetta will further the gap with the upcoming '15 model.

As for price? The Jetta is $2K cheaper than the Cruze and the Jetta is $4K cheaper to own over 5 years.

So in summary, after a three year intense effort to bring a diesel to the US, instead of the promised break-thru product, Chevy delivered a loud, slow, poor handling, poor ride comfort, comparatively expensive vehicle that brings up the rear of the market segment.

Hopefully GM's poor showing doesn't tarnish the greater diesel market like they did in the past.

My how Motor Trend has changed its tune since May:

While both the Chevy and VW are powered by 2.0-liter, four-cylinder turbodiesels, Chevy’s unit makes 151 horsepower and 264 lb-ft of torque (with up to 280 for limited amounts of time in Overboost mode) as opposed to the Jetta’s 140 hp and 236 lb-ft. The EPA has rated the Cruze diesel at 46 mpg highway, easily besting the Jetta’s 42 mpg. What GM is billing as the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid vehicle on the market is also capable of a 717-mile trip when its 15.6-gallon fuel tank is filled to the tippy-top. When the Cruze Diesel goes on sale this spring starting at $25,695, you’ll also be at a $630 price advantage to the Wolfsburg variant.

After a decent stint at a healthy highway pace and some twists and turns on suburban roads to study chassis dynamics, the Cruze’s digital MPG average read 42.6. Not bad number, considering it was achieved without trying to be economically conscious. The Cruze has long since proved a success for GM, and the automaker is looking to set a new bar with the newest addition to the Cruze lineup. With more power and efficiency than anything comparable on the road, and a formula already proven formula around the world, the Cruze Diesel will go a long way toward anwering whether American car buyers are really ready for this type of power.

MT's latest comparison of Eco cars was not kind to GM and their attempt to reenter the diesel car market after an inglorious past.

The Cruze diesel was rated last of 5 diesel and hybrid vehicles.

The Jetta Diesel was rated #1 which must be a further insult to GM as that was the car Chevy tried to humble. Unfortunately for GM, it didn't turn out that way. Quite the opposite in fact.

"For its narrow operational capacity, the Cruze brings up the rear of the pack. It set out to bury the Jetta TDI in engine output, highway fuel economy, and cruising mannerism, but the VW nips it in the real world"

As for Cruze's handling, "This car has no dynamic prowess whatsoever" "bumps in the road send the car heaving and bounding, and the insufficiently damped body motions become irritating."

Cruze's diesel clatter at idle is 69% louder than the Jetta. It's also significantly slower than the Jetta.

When it comes to fuel efficiency "The Chevy was particularly disappointing" The Jetta was more efficient at 39.7mpg vs 37.8 mpg. Jetta will further the gap with the upcoming '15 model.

As for price? The Jetta is $2K cheaper than the Cruze and the Jetta is $4K cheaper to own over 5 years.

So in summary, after a three year intense effort to bring a diesel to the US, instead of the promised break-thru product, Chevy delivered a loud, slow, poor handling, poor ride comfort, comparatively expensive vehicle that brings up the rear of the market segment.

Hopefully GM's poor showing doesn't tarnish the greater diesel market like they did in the past.

Yep they should even tried, just like the Taurus that ended up last in the big car comparison.......

If first they don't succeed.... BTW VW been making small diesels for ages, hopefully the 2015 Curze solves the space and weight issues.

Truthfully, I can't see cruze diesel selling in huge numbers, the noisy diesel advocates got their wish and now it's a slow seller.

I wonder, if GM had skipped on Volt and just developed a simpler more affordable hybrid Cruze where they would be today...

Now that's a leading question...:)

Edited by jpd80

I was in Canada recently and there were a number of billboards in the Toronto area for the diesel Cruze. Gas prices in Canada are very close to EU prices so I can see why there would be more of a diesel push there. I saw a number of VWs (almost all TDI). Lots of Japanses and Korean cars too, even more than in most US cities. The big three weren't well represented although there were lots of new Escapes on the street. GM seemed particularly absent from their market - I wonder if the diesel Cruze is their attempt to sell more in Canada since outisde of VW there didn't seem to be that many diesels available.

Edited by bolt in blue

A poorly done GM diesel is hardly evidence of the inappropriateness of the technology to the NA market. Chrysler will be a more interesting study.

I don't think the diesel Liberty really lit the world on fire either. Perhaps the new models will fare better. I think the problem is too many buyers are concerned with the up front hit on the price compared to potential savings down the road. VW/Audi diesel customers are almost cultish in their loyalty to those particular vehicles.

Survey: Lack of diesel driving experience hurts market

One of the biggest challenges facing diesel-powered vehicles in the U.S. is that most people

have no experience driving carsicon1.png or trucks that run on diesel, according to a new survey.

Seven in 10 Americans have never driven a diesel-powered vehicle, and three-quarters

of Millennials — those under age 30 — have never been behind the wheel of a diesel caricon1.png

or truck,according to an online survey by Harris Interactive on behalf of Honeywell International Inc.

Harris surveyed 3,014 adults ages 18 and older.

But consumers are aware of the attributes of diesel, most notably that diesel engines can produce

more power than traditional gasoline engines (though that fact is being challenged by newer,

advanced turbocharged gas engines). Most of those surveyed also believe a diesel-powered car

is more efficient than a car of similar size with a gas engine.

So now it's the buyers' fault for having no practical experience in driving diesel cars and Utilities.

It's looking like Ford' Ecoboost engines are an easier sell in the US market, they give a good

balance of fuel economy and horsepower, something smaller diesel don't have for acceleration.

Seems like they do anyway (deserve the award) to go through this exercise and complete it with such a poor outcome.

Well compared to the initial outlay in development costs and sales expectations for Volt, I'd say diesel Cruze is a runaway success.....

If Ford wanted to challenge GM it could add the 1.0 EB Focus but I suspect the take rate would be lower than Cruze diesel,

a 1.0 EB Focus would be a soggy performer, can't disappoint buyers with poor performance from a car that's not a diesel....

What about a Focus with 1.5 DI hooked up to Hybrid trans and a small battery pack... a lowish cost baby hybrid?

and Is there even any point to it when Ford already has the C-Max hybrid and energi versions on sale....

Edited by jpd80

Did GM change the suspension tuning of the Diesel Cruze, as compared to the rest of the line? We had a rental Cruze this past summer in Florida, and, to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised. It was nicer than the Hyundai Elantra we originally had rented (and had to turn in due to a problem).

I doubt that a poor showing in one comparison test by a GM car is going to ruin the sales prospects of all diesel cars in this country.

The original Oldsmobile Diesel actually received rave reviews from testers. It wasn't until those diesels starting experiencing serious problems at less than 50,000 miles that the bloom was off the rose. (A big decline in gasoline prices in the early 1980s also hurt the diesel market.)

True story - around 1983, the local Dodge dealer took a 1980 Pontiac Bonneville equipped with a diesel engine as a trade-in. The car was initially parked behind the dealership, and it was obvious that the engine had been removed. About a week later, it reappeared in the used car lot, with this written on the windshield - "Engine Replaced." I'm guessing that this was the only way the dealer could sell the car.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember Car and Driver raved about them. Interviewed a younger owner of a 1979 Diesel Cutlass Supreme from LA, he liked the room and mileage. C/D was excited saying "GM is onto something and going to sell like hotcakes!" C/D also raved about the X Cars, "GM blows everyone into the weeds!".

It wasn't long til they started breaking down, just like the Citations.

Edited by 630land

I remember Car and Driver interviewing a younger owner of a 1979 Diesel Cutlass Supreme, saying he liked the room and mileage. C/D was like "GM is onto something and going to sell a lot of them!" Also remeber how noisy they were when GM fans bought them. It wasn't long til they started breaking down, just like the Citations.

Around 1980 we drove my buddy's mom's Diesel Olds to a larger town about 30 miles away. We barely made it back home. It must have died 50 times.

Diesels were never the one solution, nothing is... But this is disappointing as diesel has good potential to an "arrow in the quiver".

With that being said I hope GM crapping all over themselves again doesn't kill the diesel market... That the commitment from the Germans and Chrysler can overcome GMs continual stupidity. Not that I thought the GM decision was smart in the first place... I have serious doubts of diesels in smaller cars. It doesn't make sense in that diesels have distinct dynamic driving disadvantage taking one of the advantages of small cars. I see smaller trucks and utilities (1/2-ton trucks and full-sized SUVs and Vans) as likely having the best chance of success with diesels. As such I see the Ram diesel and the Transit diesel as the key if we are to see an evolution of the market.

Edited by Kris Kolman

• 3 weeks later...