Ford Says Utilities Key to Growth

Dunno, Kuga is around 8,000/mth so probably less than that and you'd hope that Edge didn't simply cut into S-Max sales either.

Is S-Max AWD? Anyway, in the EU, the Edge is more likely to appeal to the market that buys Audi Q5/Q7 SUV/CUV vehicles and the like, rather than a kind of minivan, but with doors, like S-Max, IMHO. Just wait for the German tuners to get hold of an Edge Sport. :)

I thought Ford was going to concentrate on cars, not trucks and these big SUV behemoths. Looks like they are going for the big profits again and letting quality slip (recall #7 on the Escape).

Since when is an Escape a "big SUV behemoth"? They have the most balanced vehicle portfolio they've ever had including a full line of cars.

Shame on Ford for building vehicles that customers want to buy.

• Like 1

Is S-Max AWD? Anyway, in the EU, the Edge is more likely to appeal to the market that buys Audi Q5/Q7 SUV/CUV vehicles and the like, rather than a kind of minivan, but with doors, like S-Max, IMHO. Just wait for the German tuners to get hold of an Edge Sport. :)

Ed, we'll see but I have this feeling that Ford brand is still seen as an outsider by the parochial market,

I think that will limit actual sales more than any shortcomings of the product...

Edited by jpd80

I thought Ford was going to concentrate on cars, not trucks and these big SUV behemoths. Looks like they are going for the big profits again and letting quality slip (recall #7 on the Escape).

Ford is working on a balanced sales portfolio, where in their Euro market is out of balance. And being the utilities is the fastest growth segment in Europe,

I'd say Ford's plan is spot on.

The look of the Concept Edge looks good for the Euro market. I don't see the S-Max customer as an Edge customer at all. Maybe they would have both in the driveway

as each vehicle has quite a different character.

Personally, I don't think it will sell all that well in EU. Too big. Too thirsty !

How about the ecoboost engines? I'm sure that the next gen Edge will lose some weight too. Have to get rid of your NA centric way of thinking. Not to mention I believe that the Edge is supposed to get an oil burner too for non NA market too.

Alan is on the same message everytime and has been for at least the last 5 years - full portfolio of cars, trucks, and utilities - small medium and large. I've heard him say this at least 15 times.

July 31, 2013 -

Alan: Oh, well, absolutely. Well, clearly, our plan around the world, Ford's plan is to offer our customers in every market segment around the world a complete family of vehicles, so small, and medium, and large; and cars, utilities, and trucks; all the way from the Fiesta all the way up, of course, to the popular F series

January 15, 2008 -

Arguably the finest truck, large-SUV company in the world, and the transformation now is to take that solid fundamental and compliment that with some more exciting fuel efficient, smaller vehicles, and provide a full family of cars, utilities and trucks for the traveling motorist.

July 18, 2011 -

We decided to have a complete family of vehicles worldwide available to the consumers: small, medium and large cars, utilities and trucks.

How about the ecoboost engines? I'm sure that the next gen Edge will lose some weight too. Have to get rid of your NA centric way of thinking. Not to mention I believe that the Edge is supposed to get an oil burner too for non NA market too.

Okay. I'll stay neutral until the EU spec version comes out.

If it loses a significant amount of weight and gets fitted with a diesel, then it has a shot !

Okay. I'll stay neutral until the EU spec version comes out.

If it loses a significant amount of weight and gets fitted with a diesel, then it has a shot !

Seems to me thatEuro BMW, MB & VW vehicles in the Edge segment all offer 6 & 8 cylinder gasers and some offer diesel in 4 cylinder.

For the Edge to compete it will need to offer some horses to play in the segment over here.

Edited by MKII

In my oppinion the only chance for Ford to succeed in that segment in Europe is to offer competitive Diesel engines. If they won't offer a Diesel engine it will show to me that Ford is not willing to commit to "One Ford". For Ford to prosper in Europe means to have to sell vehicles in high-profit segments of the market, that includes SUVs like Edge, because Ford is being put under pressure by brands like BMW and Mercedes in that these brands startet to compete with Ford by offering smaller vehicles as well.

In my oppinion the only chance for Ford to succeed in that segment in Europe is to offer competitive Diesel engines. If they won't offer a Diesel engine it will show to me that Ford is not willing to commit to "One Ford". For Ford to prosper in Europe means to have to sell vehicles in high-profit segments of the market, that includes SUVs like Edge, because Ford is being put under pressure by brands like BMW and Mercedes in that these brands startet to compete with Ford by offering smaller vehicles as well.

Ford has plenty of competitive Diesel engines available in Europe (see Mondeo). Why would you think they wouldn't offer one in the Edge?

Ford has plenty of competitive Diesel engines available in Europe (see Mondeo). Why would you think they wouldn't offer one in the Edge?

I am assuming that Ford won't build the Edge in Europe, where Ford would have easily access to Mondeo, S-Max and Galaxy Diesel engines. Do you think that Ford is going to "walk the extra mile" this time and ship Diesel engines all the way from England to the USA to put them in Edges destined for Europe? I would surely hope so, because that would mean that Ford is finally ready to introduce an American built car in Europe with the intention of creating a customer base for the car and offer it long term. For example Ford offered the first generations of the Explorer in Germany starting in 1993 and stopped selling it here in around 2000. Ford had plans to put a Diesel engine in the third generation Explorer for Europe, but instead decided to just stop selling the Explorer in Europe alltogether. In doing so Ford lost those customers to other brands.

I am assuming that Ford won't build the Edge in Europe, where Ford would have easily access to Mondeo, S-Max and Galaxy Diesel engines.

What makes you think that Edge won't be built on the new CD4 line in Spain for Europe and global markets?

It's not set to launch there until 2017 which is just after the S-Max and Galaxy end at Genk and transfer to Spain

The crash protection panels in the front of Euro CD4s are different enough to necessitate building them there,

global export markets generally follow European design and crash testing rules so building Edge there makes sense.

Edited by jpd80