MKX gone?

I'm sure the will be making the next gen MKX off the Edge concept. What probably will happen is "if" Lincoln makes another sedan, performance coupe, or Escape based SUV, they won't likely have the MK naming scheme.

I think the MKZ, MKX, and MKC names will probably linger for awhile yet. Just because they have built up some name recognition. But worst case is the name changes. They will still be building a vehicle based off the Edge.

Given the rumor that the next gen Navigator is going to compete on a level with Land Rover, it's possible the next gen MKX may already be on that path and that's why we haven't seen the concept yet.

All of this is just IMHO since Lincoln hasn't announced squat on any of those next gen platforms.

I don't think it's gone, but it might get a real name. If it is gone then it will be replaced with a slightly larger Aviator, but I didn't think that was ready yet.

Actually a new name was what I was trying to imply with my post but I know I didn't word it well. What I was really getting at is that if there is no vehicle named MKX then I really think there will be a "normal" names. (don't know how else to describe it)

Plus, I have noticed that since Alan came on board what is left unsaid when a statement is made to the media by Ford is very telling and from what I've read I am lead to believe that the "real" Max Wolfe styling theme is set to debut - probably in conjunction with the new names.

For me, these are exciting times for Lincoln.

Edited by AlRozzi

It does beg the question of whether they need the MKX in between the MKC and the Aviator. I think they could easily do without it if the new Aviator is ready.

Excellent point.

I'm not a suv/cuv kind of guy anyway, so I would much rather see more car models in the Lincoln line. The MKZ is tempting me as it is right now...

Considering how well the MKX has done even as a modest upgrade from the Edge, it would be silly to get rid of it.

It would be silly to get rid of it without a replacement. But with a new Aviator coming that's only slightly larger and offers a 3rd row, it might make sense for Lincoln to only offer 3 utilities instead of 4. Why split a relatively small market share between 2 vehicles if you don't have to?

It would be silly to get rid of it without a replacement. But with a new Aviator coming that's only slightly larger and offers a 3rd row, it might make sense for Lincoln to only offer 3 utilities instead of 4. Why split a relatively small market share between 2 vehicles if you don't have to?

Slightly larger? Explorer is considerably larger than the Edge. I wouldn't expect different for the MKX/Aviator. Two very different types of vehicles with two unique customers. And I wouldn't really consider the market share small in the eyes of Lincoln. MKX has been one of its better performers, despite its age. Aviator could likely perform even better. So I don't see any reason to choose between selling one or the other.

I'd see the MKX being geared towards couples or young families that don't need a huge vehicle, much how the Edge is slotted between the Explorer and Escape currently...not to mention the best selling luxury car in the US is a mid sized CUV in the RX350.

A more interesting point that should be made, is is really demand for a Navigator vs an Explorer based Lincoln? I see the MKE or whatever its called more appealing to Luxury buyers...the Navi is more of a Niche player then a Fullsized CUV in the luxury market and could survive along with the LincExplorer, but the real growth would come from a LincExplorer. The Nav would be geared towards people who have a farm or do real work with their vehicles and the LincExplorer would be geared towards wealthy Soccer Moms.

I'd be willing to bet that the confusion on MKX going away is in name only, meaning that the next iteration gets a real name.

A more interesting scenery is what if MKX becomes Aviator, MKT goes away and the next Navigator is on the Explorer platform?

[ off topic ]

...A more interesting point that should be made, is is really demand for a Navigator vs an Explorer based Lincoln? I see the MKE or whatever its called more appealing to Luxury buyers...the Navi is more of a Niche player then a Fullsized CUV in the luxury market and could survive along with the LincExplorer, but the real growth would come from a LincExplorer. The Nav would be geared towards people who have a farm or do real work with their vehicles and the LincExplorer would be geared towards wealthy Soccer Moms.

I've been thinking for a long time that the nextgen ultralight Navi & new CD-whatever Aviator could eliminate the MKT by bracketing its niche

now

I'm wondering if a special model (hybrid?) of the nextgen Navi could be called "Navigator-MKT"?

There is just no 2015MY it will be back as a 2016 as the MKX, New Edge is a late launch this year (Q4) -- MKX will launch about a year from now. (Q1, 2015) Being that it will be sold in CY2015, they will call it a 2016. Ford is moving away from the Ford and Lincoln version launching at the same time as they vehicles are becoming more unique. No real production will be lost, they will just build 2014 MKX's though December.

There is just no 2015MY it will be back as a 2016 as the MKX, New Edge is a late launch this year (Q4) -- MKX will launch about a year from now. (Q1, 2015) Being that it will be sold in CY2015, they will call it a 2016. Ford is moving away from the Ford and Lincoln version launching at the same time as they vehicles are becoming more unique. No real production will be lost, they will just build 2014 MKX's though December.

hmm... ^that^ is what I'd been thinking but

( my blood sugar is still low & haven't had my meds yet )

now I'm wondering if Lincoln will pull another (As Planned) MKZ (minus THE BOTCH)

&

begin sales of the 2015my MKX On-or-About Jan 1, 2015

:banghead:nono.gifBangHead.gif

wish they'd stop these stupid winter launches

I'd red-out Job1s from Oct1 to NewYear'sDay

Edited by 2b2

Would the squarer body of the Flex have worked better as an MKT?

I keep thinking that the basic idea was right but the execution was wrong....

it's probably water under the bridge..now that Oakville is getting new products..

Edited by jpd80

Slightly larger? Explorer is considerably larger than the Edge. I wouldn't expect different for the MKX/Aviator. Two very different types of vehicles with two unique customers. And I wouldn't really consider the market share small in the eyes of Lincoln. MKX has been one of its better performers, despite its age. Aviator could likely perform even better. So I don't see any reason to choose between selling one or the other.

I would not say considerably larger, I just looked up the specs and the Explorer is what I would consider 'slightly' larger.

Explorer | Edge | Difference

Exterior Length: 184.2 | 197.1 | 12.9"

Exterior Body width: 76 | 78.9 | 2.9"

Exterior Height: 67 | 71 | 4"

Wheel Base: 111.2 | 112.6 | 1.4"

Front Legroom: 40.7 | 40.6 | -0.1"

Rear Legroom: 39.6 | 39.8 | 0.2"

Luggage Volume: 32.2 | 21 | -11.2

Max Luggage Volume: 68.9 | 80.7 | 11.8 cu. ft.

For all intents and purposes they are the same size except one has third row and the other does not (in my opinion).

I would not say considerably larger, I just looked up the specs and the Explorer is what I would consider 'slightly' larger.

Explorer | Edge | Difference

Exterior Length: 184.2 | 197.1 | 12.9"

Exterior Body width: 76 | 78.9 | 2.9"

Exterior Height: 67 | 71 | 4"

Wheel Base: 111.2 | 112.6 | 1.4"

Front Legroom: 40.7 | 40.6 | -0.1"

Rear Legroom: 39.6 | 39.8 | 0.2"

Luggage Volume: 32.2 | 21 | -11.2

Max Luggage Volume: 68.9 | 80.7 | 11.8 cu. ft.

For all intents and purposes they are the same size except one has third row and the other does not (in my opinion).

:headscratch:

The Explorer is over a foot longer and 4 inches taller. By vehicle class size standards, that's significant.

The 2014 models didn't start arriving until December, so there is likely still 2013 inventory left that they want to sell. Lincoln did the same thing with the MKZ and MKS and kept the 2013 models up on the website for 2-3 months after the 2014 models had arrived. The only reason I can come up with is it allows them to highlight the greater incentives on the previous year's model for people who are shopping prices.