2015 Focus refresh leaked

Maybe you're ripping your employer off for your time. Things cost what they cost for a reason, get over it.

Obviously I am over it but some of the rest of you sure do have a problem with it. I just got through explaining that it doesn't bother me didn't I? Yes I did. The fact that things cost what they cost does not preclude the fact the we get ripped off by the cost most of the time. As I said already, it is what it is. I doesn't bother me and I don't lose any sleep over it but I'm not going to go all head in the sand about it and pretend to myself, you or anyone else that we aren't getting ripped off. We are getting ripped off, get over it.

*WE* ARE "over" it. You're the one who keeps bringing it up, blasting us poor stupid Americans for not being as smart as you and realizing we're all getting ripped off. You know how you're over something? You stop bringing it up and talking about it. You're the one with serious unresolved issues, Blackhorse.

I lost interest in this thread once it veered away from the discussion of the Focus. I return to read the last couple posts to see if it has gotten back on course, which it hasn't, but here's my 2¢. Stuff costs what it costs, if you don't like the price don't buy it, or negotiate a better price. I recently purchased new furniture for my home in AZ. I did my research, visited three stores and got a good idea what a three piece living room set would cost. I found the style I wanted and went in to buy. Ashley had the style and fabric I wanted, was having a sale and the sale price was about what I wanted to pay. I used my research to negotiate another $200 off the sale price by mentioning the other stores and asking if that was the best price he could give me. I have a friend in retail and his mark-up is 150-200% depending on the item and the demand. You're not going to get better than retail for a $40 item, but on major purchases, all retailers have wiggle room on their prices, you just have to put in the effort to get a better price.

*WE* ARE "over" it. You're the one who keeps bringing it up, blasting us poor stupid Americans for not being as smart as you and realizing we're all getting ripped off. You know how you're over something? You stop bringing it up and talking about it. You're the one with serious unresolved issues, Blackhorse.

No I don't keep bringing it up. How many times do I have to say it doesn't bother me? It doesn't bother me. It doesn't bother me. It doesn't bother me. That enough? Some of the rest of you are apparently the ones that this doesn't sit well with and keep coming back with the "get over it" or some such response as that.

I lost interest in this thread once it veered away from the discussion of the Focus. I return to read the last couple posts to see if it has gotten back on course, which it hasn't, but here's my 2¢. Stuff costs what it costs, if you don't like the price don't buy it, or negotiate a better price. I recently purchased new furniture for my home in AZ. I did my research, visited three stores and got a good idea what a three piece living room set would cost. I found the style I wanted and went in to buy. Ashley had the style and fabric I wanted, was having a sale and the sale price was about what I wanted to pay. I used my research to negotiate another $200 off the sale price by mentioning the other stores and asking if that was the best price he could give me. I have a friend in retail and his mark-up is 150-200% depending on the item and the demand. You're not going to get better than retail for a $40 item, but on major purchases, all retailers have wiggle room on their prices, you just have to put in the effort to get a better price.

Well as with most threads on this forum, it can only stay focused on topic for so long and then it changes just as any normal face to face conversation would. However if you want to bring the Focus back into the conversation then feel free. With respect to your point that if I don't like a price then don't pay it or negotiate a better price, yes I'm well aware of that and that's exactly what I do. Apparently when the rest of you are reading my threads, even though I am very clear in what I'm saying, you are not understanding the point I'm making. So let me try to make it one more time. I fully accept and realize that most of the things we buy as Americans are overpriced for what we get. That doesn't bother me. I'm not trying to change it and I'm not trying to change the opinion of anyone here who thinks otherwise. I just accept it as part of the way things are. I've made that clear several times now but apparently there are some people that just can't accept that.

I don't normally make this call, but, uh...

Richard? Nick? Please put this animal out of its misery...

I'm sorry are you openly advocating for my murder? There are plenty of other threads on this forum if this one doesn't meet with your liking are there not?

Edited by BlackHorse

The THREAD, BlackHorse. Stop making everything about you.

I didn't. I am just responding to people who have responded to me. If you would like to take the conversation back to the Focus I am more than happy to discuss that. I didn't want to get off on this tangent to begin with. I am only responding to people who have responded to posts I made. I would much rather talk about cars. If you want to talk about the Focus then post something about the Focus and quit worrying about me.

No I don't keep bringing it up. How many times do I have to say it doesn't bother me? It doesn't bother me. It doesn't bother me. It doesn't bother me. That enough? Some of the rest of you are apparently the ones that this doesn't sit well with and keep coming back with the "get over it" or some such response as that.

You do realize that not all members are always on or monitoring the forum and maybe people are reading you posts for the first time and responding.

So let me try to make it one more time. I fully accept and realize that most of the things we buy as Americans are overpriced for what we get.

How can you even say that? You don't know what the mark-up is on "most of the things we buy as Americans". Can you be specific on what you mean by "most of the things we buy". Let me get you started, the things I buy most often are food and gasoline, can you give specific, documented examples of how these are overpriced and please include all stages and parties involved in the process.

You do realize that not all members are always on or monitoring the forum and maybe people are reading you posts for the first time and responding.

I get that, I am just responding to people who have responded to me. They should read the whole conversation to have a better understanding.

How can you even say that? You don't know what the mark-up is on "most of the things we buy as Americans". Can you be specific on what you mean by "most of the things we buy". Let me get you started, the things I buy most often are food and gasoline, can you give specific, documented examples of how these are overpriced and please include all stages and parties involved in the process.

Food at a super market for the most part is priced reasonably fair. If you want to get ripped off for the price of food there are various restaurants that will be happy to take your money. I still eat at some of them anyway. Go figure. Gasoline is a commodity and it is also price manipulated by not only the OPEC but various other big players in the oil industry. Yes it is over priced. I still buy gasoline.

I never addressed you prior to my earlier comment, BH. But this thread has run its course (and then some) and has pretty much devolved.

Do you want to talk about the Focus or not? If you're going to come here and get all upset because we aren't talking about the Focus then quit yelling at me and talk about the Focus. I'd be happy to do that.

Do you want to talk about the Focus or not? If you're going to come here and get all upset because we aren't talking about the Focus then quit yelling at me and talk about the Focus. I'd be happy to do that.

I've been subscribed to the thread since the first page. I've seen where it's gone from there.

And I never addressed you to begin with. You came at me, remember?

Now, we can keep talking about the Focus being leaked, except that the car has already been fully revealed and is being discussed elsewhere, rendering the original topic here obsolete. But if you want to keep debating with whoever will listen (whoever's left) about how it's overpriced without giving any actual evidence to substantiate your claims, go right on ahead. I'll be over here watching the thread continue to unravel.

And I never addressed you to begin with. You came at me, remember?

Ok I guess in your initial post when you started calling on Nick and Richard to put animals out of their misery you weren't really addressing me? If that helps you rationalize it or gives you some sense of self justification then so be it, but don't expect me to believe it.

With respect to the Focus. It is a car that can get over priced pretty quickly. In some trim levels and with some feature content it can actually be a reasonably well priced car for a new car. But if you just want to spend too much money on a Focus check that "Titanium" trim level on your order form. I also remember when they came out with the Focus EV and the prices started at 40 grand or somewhere in that range. I got a good laugh about that.

Edited by BlackHorse

Ok I guess in your initial post when you started calling on Nick and Richard to put animals out of their misery you weren't really addressing me? If that helps you rationalize it or gives you some sense of self justification then so be it, but don't expect me to believe it.

I told you I was referring to the thread, and that's the truth. If you don't want to believe it, that's your right as a man and as an American.

With respect to the Focus. It is a car that can get over priced pretty quickly. In some trim levels and with some feature content it can actually be a reasonably well priced car for a new car. But if you just want to spend too much money on a Focus check that "Titanium" trim level on your order form. I also remember when they came out with the Focus EV and the prices started at 40 grand or somewhere in that range. I got a good laugh about that.

Me, I have no problem with someone specifically wanting a smaller car and paying to load it up instead of stepping up to the larger Fusion. Most manufacturers are following that pattern now, actually. Honda, Chevrolet, Mazda, you name it. Same reason why, in the luxury arena, you'll find many people loading up a 3 Series or A4 or IS instead of stepping up to the 5, A6, or GS respectively.

Also, you're not finding an inexpensive EV anywhere, no matter who builds it.

It's no secret that when you start adding options or stepping up to a higher trim, the price can rise quickly, but that's the choice of the buyer, it's not forced upon them and the do have options. The Focus is one of the best priced and overall quality cars in the class.

Back to the Focus...

Blackhorse, you said that you did not like the Focus wearing the new corporate face. Although I think there should be a corporate face or styling theme to create a brand identity, I can see and respect your point because of:

1. It make make it hard to identify individual models from the front.

2. It may wear out the "look" if there are too many cars wearing it.

3. If you hate to look to begin with, you may walk away from the brand.

That being said. This Focus in my opinion wears this look better than all the other Fords including the Fusion! The Focus should have looked like this from the start. From here forward, they should now evolve this look so people don't get tired of it.

Problem is that a lot of people think of size and cost, that a car has to be big to justify its cost. But with today's condos and smaller parking spaces, there are those who want small luxury, even in North America, which is why we have small German cars in the marketplace.

With respect to the Focus. It is a car that can get luxurious pretty quickly, and the "Titanium" level trim seems to be very successful in the marketplace, you just don't like the car and its value. :)

The more images I look at, the more I'm beginning to like the new design. There isn't that gap between the hood and the front facia and the hood flows uninterrupted. The rear looks a little wide, but I guess that gives the illusion of it being a wider car. The jury is still out on whether or not the design would work on the Escape.

My immediate reaction to his post was that he meant the thread and not you. You're just an obnoxious narcissist.

Uh, yeah, you do. You're still posting here. If it didn't bother you, you'd leave and stay away. Yet, here you are, continuing to stir shit you insist doesn't bother you. Between this and your completely bizarro "Americans are ripped off on everything...but I understand things are what they cost" nonsense, I'm honestly baffled by what exactly you hope to accomplish here.

Perceived value.

The perception that a fully loaded compact or mid sized car can be an acceptable choice for many who once would have only looked at a full sized car.

I'm wondering if we're approaching a time where a higher series Compact Focus can do battle with higher trim level Verano in the $30K zone.

Completely new ground for Ford if it does happen....

Edited by jpd80

ahhh, beancounters, well im sure theres some sort of alogorithm utilized weighing ultimate profitabilty vs expenditure, although it would have been nice to have King Ranch leather in the Fiesta....and I wouldnt brand the Automobile industry the worst, not by a LONG way, a lot of those posted profits are reinvested constantly in product revamps and appesing SOME authority that mandates safety, emmisions etc etc ....cant say the same for say...Exxon and the like.....

profits are reinvested?

Investments are a cost on the balance sheet, and I don't think can be thought of as being paid for with profits.

The idea that profits are used for investment, side steps the fact that profits can be a result of disinvestment, or the harvesting of the benefits of previous investment.

making huge profits isn't strictly done for the health of the company but as a reward to shareholders through dividends and increases in stock price, but if this profit was generated at the expensive of investment in the company it can be a sign of weakness.

2014 will be an challenging year for Ford. the market will not grow as fast as it has been growing over the last 3 years, and the competition will be more willing to use incentives to grow market share. it will show how well ford has prepared for this new normal.

Edited by Biker16

profits are reinvested?

Investments are a cost on the balance sheet, and I don't think can be thought of as being paid for with profits.

The idea that profits are used for investment, side steps the fact that profits can be a result of disinvestment, or the harvesting of the benefits of previous investment.

making huge profits isn't strictly done for the health of the company but as a reward to shareholders through dividends and increases in stock price, but if this profit was generated at the expensive of investment in the company it can be a sign of weakness.

2014 will be an challenging year for Ford. the market will not grow as fast as it has been growing over the last 3 years, and the competition will be more willing to use incentives to grow market share. it will show how well ford has prepared for this new normal.

If you don't have profits, where do you get the money to reinvest?

If you don't have profits, where do you get the money to reinvest?

He's assuming (hoping?) that Ford is getting their profit by cost cutting. There is no indication Ford has cut back on capital/R&D spending.

This year's profits funds next year's investments.