"Secret" 2015 Mustang feature unveiled...

Basically warranty policy stipulates any damage caused by abuse is not covered under warranty. That is a touchy issue with add ons like programmers, causal part determines if it's a warrantable repair. People forget the manufacturers warranty is for manufacturer defects in workmanship or material.

Seems like people forget wear and tear.

Exactly!

If you wear out the rear axle by putting about 200k miles worth of stress on it in 8 months, well, you're not going to get warranty coverage, nor should you.

From a certain perspective, every last piece of your vehicle is a 'wear' item. Keep a vehicle long enough and every part on it is going to wear out. If you, through your own choices, wear out a part faster than someone else, it does not necessarily mean the part is defective.

It says Racing is not warrantied. Says nothing about using the line lock feature or the track apps - just that track apps are for off road use ( to avoid DOT issues).

If you have a drivetrain problem that looks like abuse and they find that you've been racing then you might be denied warranty coverage. Pretty standard disclaimer.

So say I was using the line lock in my driveway and an axle snaps. Is it going to be covered or not? Are they going to say I was abusing the car? Very grey area if you ask me.

It is a grey area, as they intended it to be. It's a case by case basis as this is not a cut and dry issue.

On the flip side, I've had Ford honor the warranty past the warranty expiration period in the past.

So they give you these apps and if you use them it voids the warranty? Besides not a good idea (line lock) with IRS.

If the IRS has the torque capacity, what difference does it make? Or have people with Corvettes over the past several decades never done burnouts before?

Edited by NickF1011

It will be interesting to see what this will do for the used 2015+ Mustang market.

If a person leases a Mustang for 1-3 years and can run the hell out of it using the "line-lock" feature.. I wonder how the used car market buyers will question the reliability of the used 2015+ Mustang?

It will be interesting to see what this will do for the used 2015+ Mustang market.

If a person leases a Mustang for 1-3 years and can run the hell out of it using the "line-lock" feature.. I wonder how the used car market buyers will question the reliability of the used 2015+ Mustang?

I'm guessing they will question it based on how reliable they end up being. I mean really, it's a cute feature, but after using it a few times, unless you're at the track with it, I'd see it losing its novelty pretty quickly with most owners who have to actually buy the tires.

My guess is it won't make much difference. A sports car is a sports car, and typically gets abused in this fashion any way. This may actually save a bit of wear and tear since it makes it easier.

• Like 1

Probably no different than they do with the current Mustangs. Even without line lock it is entirely possible for a person to lease the current Mustang and rag it out in three years.