Secret F-150 Testing

From Jalopnik:

Even Owners Didn't Know They Were Driving 2015 Ford F-150 Prototypes

Barrick Gold Mine has been working 2015 Ford F-150 prototypes since 2011. They weren't the only company testing the trucks, but nobody knew what they were driving.

And another link: http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2015-ford-f-150-prototypes-have-been-working-at-a-gold-1583036296

e9e1admabjvihzfjhtvi.jpg

Edited by Edstock

I got a kick out of the "it's photoshopped", or "all they hauled is stakes?", or "that truck was driven by the GM because that bed is barely used" comments. Or my favorite: "Yeah, 'cause they use baby gen-sets and paint rollers to build hydro dams. Nice try Ford PR,"

Really people? Get a freakin clue!

Yeah, well, BMW doesn't have anything that sells in the 400k/year range.

According to their 2013 sales figures, BMW's combined sales don't reach the 400K/year range. The F-Series outsold BMW by almost two to one.

Edited by SoonerLS

BMW may not sell that many units of one vehicle in any individual country, but it does have a vehicle that sells over 400,000 units annually, if we consider GLOBAL sales.

In 2013, global sales of the BMW 3-Series were 500,314 units.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 1

BMW may not sell that many units of one vehicle in any individual country, but it does have a vehicle that sells over 400,000 units annually, if we consider GLOBAL sales.

I suspect global F150 sales exceed that.

But geez. That thing has to be a -cash cow- for them.

• Like 1

My mistake; I was looking at BMW North America. Ford still sold more F-Series, at 763,402 units, and I'd guess that the F-Series mix is such that the F-150 sold more than 500K units.

I mean, BMW launches a new 3-Series what? Every ten years? I think they overhaul it less frequently than Ford overhauls the F-Series.

And I could be wrong, but it sure seems like BMW 'Camries' the 3-Series--they don't do a ground up reworking, they just keep making tweaks to the same basic platform that they've been using for what? over 30 years now?

I mean, BMW launches a new 3-Series what? Every ten years? I think they overhaul it less frequently than Ford overhauls the F-Series.

And I could be wrong, but it sure seems like BMW 'Camries' the 3-Series--they don't do a ground up reworking, they just keep making tweaks to the same basic platform that they've been using for what? over 30 years now?

The last one came out in 2006, with the current one debuting in 2014, so that was an 8 year run for that model.

But is there any significant difference between the 2006 and 2014 platforms?

That I don't know - if I had to guess, I don't think so, as (at least with the coupe/convertible), most dimesions appear to be very similar. I was just stating that a "new" one came out for 2014 after 8 years - how new, and/or whether it's all new, I don't know.

That was the point - they seem to just be tweaking the same base platform over and over rather than developing completely new platforms. Of course if the base platform is that good to start with, maybe that's ok. Seems to be working so far and it saves a lot of money.

About now, the aluminum critics are going, "oh crap..."

No, they are saying crap like the comments I mentioned:

I got a kick out of the "it's photoshopped", or "all they hauled is stakes?", or "that truck was driven by the GM because that bed is barely used" comments. Or my favorite: "Yeah, 'cause they use baby gen-sets and paint rollers to build hydro dams. Nice try Ford PR,"

Edited by fordmantpw

Mike Levine (Ford truck PR guy) was posting in the comments sections of those articles as well. He did admit that a couple of tailgates had to be replaced, but it was a learning experience. The used what they learned and made improvements.

Mike Levine (Ford truck PR guy) was posting in the comments sections of those articles as well. He did admit that a couple of tailgates had to be replaced, but it was a learning experience. The used what they learned and made improvements.

Yep, and that was precisely the point in releasing them for testing 2.5 years ago.

I suspect global F150 sales exceed that.

But geez. That thing has to be a -cash cow- for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if North American F-150 sales alone exceed global sales of the 3-Series.

I'm not trying to say that the sales of the 3-Series equal those of the F-Series. I'm just pointing out that the 3-Series has high global volume, too. If, for any reason, sales of the 3-Series tank, BMW is in serious trouble.

Edited by grbeck

Yeah, I had figured BMW global 3-series was in the 350k range.

At any rate, they appear to be more dependent on the 3-Series than Ford is on the F150.

So, I guess, we should be wondering about BMW---because, you know, we can't assume that there will be a perpetual demand for a luxury car that is uncomfortably small and rides like a buckboard.

That I don't know - if I had to guess, I don't think so, as (at least with the coupe/convertible), most dimesions appear to be very similar. I was just stating that a "new" one came out for 2014 after 8 years - how new, and/or whether it's all new, I don't know.

The new car is bigger all around. Matter of fact, every successive 3 Series has been bigger. And, of course, they've had to redesign every floorpan to accommodate a new transmission every generation as well (I seriously doubt you can fit an 8HP into an E90, for example).

The new car is bigger all around. Matter of fact, every successive 3 Series has been bigger. And, of course, they've had to redesign every floorpan to accommodate a new transmission every generation as well (I seriously doubt you can fit an 8HP into an E90, for example).

Each Camry has gotten bigger as well--but they still, for instance, route the tail pipe under the rear suspension. I'm wondering if they 'grandfather's ax' the thing.

Each Camry has gotten bigger as well--but they still, for instance, route the tail pipe under the rear suspension. I'm wondering if they 'grandfather's ax' the thing.

Could be, could be not. I did some poking around (briefly) and couldn't find anything entirely definitive, but this post here seems to do a pretty decent write-up of the changes between then and now.

I especially like this quote at the end, which may or may not be the truth but which I'm inclined to believe:

My impression is that the F30 is a minor refinement of the E90, that is, it's essentially the same.

The E36 and E46 have the same suspension, and now the E90 and F30 have the same suspension. The redesign happened between the E46 and E90.

The F30 rear spring is in the same place as in the E90, and the links & geometry are near identical. It's not a redesign like the jump from E46 to E90, even though they changed how they manufacture the steel links.

Well....in truth, the only thing being tested was the technique for constructing things like truck beds out of aluminum. Ford made an "current generation" bed out of the aluminum to see how it would hold up, and got great input on how to make sure it will hold up over time.

Well....in truth, the only thing being tested was the technique for constructing things like truck beds out of aluminum. Ford made an "current generation" bed out of the aluminum to see how it would hold up, and got great input on how to make sure it will hold up over time.

And that's arguably the most important component of the truck, after all.

• Like 1