A VERY positive MKC review!

Finally some more interior pics. Like everything I see except for the lack of true flat floor when 2nd row seats are folded down - unless they just left them like that. I'll have to go check this thing out, could be a contender for my next vehicle. Crappy right side cockpit pressing into my knee on extended drives is immediate deal breaker...I really hope how they designed the console fixes that. <please please please please...>

This is impressive

"The last time we remember a Lincoln this dynamically competitive among its peers, it had the letters "LS" affixed to its decklid."

Hah! Yeah, I caught that too!

Never ceases to amaze me when I think about what could have happened if Lincoln actually ran with the LS, Jag S-Type owners be damned!

• Like 1

Hah! Yeah, I caught that too!

Never ceases to amaze me when I think about what could have happened if Lincoln actually ran with the LS, Jag S-Type owners be damned!

I think Ford gave too much weight to Jaguar and their cries that DEW based Lincolns would compete directly with them.

Had Lincoln developed two or three good DEW based products, I think the tables could have been turned.

Can anyone say Aluminum Lincolns?

I think Ford gave too much weight to Jaguar and their cries that DEW based Lincolns would compete directly with them.

Had Lincoln developed two or three good DEW based products, I think the tables could have been turned.

Can anyone say Aluminum Lincolns?

That was the plan early on - a smaller and larger vehicle. But they screwed the pooch so bad on the LS business case (totally overestimated sales volume) I don't think they trusted them. In addition to the Jaguar marketing problem.

What I find most frustrating, is that ever since the LS, the emphasis on designing a specific luxury vehicle from Ford has not been quite the same.

They did great back then,

"Hey we are doing this SLA for this reason..."

" we are doing 50/50 weight balancing for this reason..."

"we are doing this parts in aluminum and here's why"

"hey battery in the trunk in for this reason"

"a longer wheelbase provides you with..."

"by doing this, we are able to have a low-cowl and better sightliness"

They had a target, they aimed, it surely got them attention at the time because its floored the critics that Ford COULD design a vehicle that could easily match the German entries. Problem is (like so many times), it was left to rot in the vine and plans to add more to that platform, as well as Jaguar whining put it's nail in the coffin. A shame to say we probably wont see that enthusiasm for a performance sedan from Lincoln for quite awhile.

Today it's called the XF... I had 3 non- car savvy people sit in one at the dealership, and the first thing they said was "it feels like sitting in your LS"... Its an improved formula and if anything, "What could have been" always crosses some of us minds.

• Like 1

They haven't been able to afford to do that the last decade. There have been other higher priority projects to spend money on like the new F150, etc.

I think you'll see exactly that with the next generation of Lincolns after they get the lower cost higher volume stuff out the door like the MKC. Although I don't think the target will be BMW - more like Lexus/Audi.

I think you'll see exactly that with the next generation of Lincolns after they get the lower cost higher volume stuff out the door like the MKC. Although I don't think the target will be BMW - more like Lexus/Audi.

I hope not...GM is proving the futility of chasing BMW.

They haven't been able to afford to do that the last decade. There have been other higher priority projects to spend money on like the new F150, etc.

And sadly, they are going to be making Lincolns so nice that we won't be able to afford one for my wife's next vehicle.

I hope not...GM is proving the futility of chasing BMW.

GM is attempting to make a BMW-fighter.

Ford is attempting to make luxury cars that people will aspire to own. Nice, quiet, powerful cars that are great to drive and have high-quality interiors. Not Lexus/Audi-fighters per say, just great cars with qualities similar to Lexus/Audi cars.

And there is a huge difference in BMW buyers and Lexus/Audi buyers.

• Like 1

GM is attempting to make a BMW-fighter.

Ford is attempting to make luxury cars that people will aspire to own. Nice, quiet, powerful cars that are great to drive and have high-quality interiors. Not Lexus/Audi-fighters per say, just great cars with qualities similar to Lexus/Audi cars.

And there is a huge difference in BMW buyers and Lexus/Audi buyers.

Lincoln is trying to build cars that they're capable of building that they can make money on using their current resources.

GM sets engineering specs then asks "how do we build it" and "will it make money".

Wait - who am I kidding? GM never asks "will it make money". Only "how many can we make".

• Like 1

The LS-and I agree, it was a tragic example of mis-managemeent-was a true victim of the Nasser and PAG-era stupidity, the same mindlessness that lost all focus on the American brands because playing with the high-profile "toy marques" was more fun. Meanwhile, Mercury was run straight into the ground, Lincoln became a puffy trim option, and the one unique product-the LS-was released without a real business case to support its expansion. That whole period, including the Firestone debacle and the horrid quality, made me sick. The memories are still awful, because the Taurus had become a rental fleet queen, two of Ford's cars were on platforms initially from the Carter era, and only Ford's capacity for building great trucks really kept things rolling...at least, in the USA.

As much as I harp on about Lincoln's need to make poised drivers' cars, I am actually relaxing a little because all luxury vehicles are assumed to have power and impressive performance. BMW is selling well, but their cars don't win comparisons like they used to. Audi is rolling right now, even beating BMW in steering feel and similar tactile response categories that had long been the Bavarians' strongest qualities. How much of that is due to Audi improving vs. BMW slipping, it's hard to say. Benz is Benz, and looking determined to succeed in all facets of the luxury market...and it's working. The point is that Lincoln, just to play in this arena, will have no choice but to build increasingly powerful and capable vehicles that can be worthy competitors/alternatives to the standard-bearers of each given segment. Lincoln basically cannot be anything like its previous self, excepting perhaps an eventual flagship sedan.

Named Continental.

I dont think per-se that everyone is wanting a BMW beater, but some have gotten some attention by doing so. Infiniti G37 is one example, if it werent for that, they wouldnt be getting much attention, they would probably be...Acura.. Lets see how Acura is handling the TL, TSX, TLX? And its RL is laughable at that. So if RWD performance isnt "IT", we can make a case that "FWD" isn't "IT" either. I believe Lexus has the best line.. for those wanting RWD you have IS, and GS, for those who want boring, they have ES and LS. And while everyone is looking at those and "whats next' Here's Hyundai coming up with a few RWD luxury vehicles and getting shoppers that otherwise they wouldnt. Actually, when I see a Genesis or Equus I truely think, "You honestly COULDNT find a better vehicle? Or was your discount THAT great you couldnt say No?" IN other words, lets not turn a blind eye either to what they are doing and what they can accomplish. OH and Audi, just won example how you can take some of the most unreliable vehicles put them on basic platforms, and lux them out. Touch them, and they feel rich, own one and you wont be rich for long.

Each vehicle represents different things, to different manufacturers. A Unit count should not be a measuring stick for "success" when building vehicles. The LS had much better sales than anything Lincoln currently has, but they didnt make much money. The Flex isn't the best selling, BUT the ATP are higher than expected AND bring in conquest buyers that wouldnt have shopped Ford otherwise. I'm sorry, I cant defind MKT, please sink that like a Titanic or Blackwood, ASAP.

I dont think per-se that everyone is wanting a BMW beater, but some have gotten some attention by doing so. Infiniti G37 is one example, if it werent for that, they wouldnt be getting much attention, they would probably be...Acura.. Lets see how Acura is handling the TL, TSX, TLX? And its RL is laughable at that. So if RWD performance isnt "IT", we can make a case that "FWD" isn't "IT" either. I believe Lexus has the best line.. for those wanting RWD you have IS, and GS, for those who want boring, they have ES and LS.

RWD can be boring? Impossible! Everyone tells me RWD is the ONLY true way to drive a vehicle. It provides amazing feel and control and FWD is garbage. Yet, here is a RWD vehicle characterized as boring. I'm confused.

I've been looking at some of the reviews on Youtube. I'm beginning to think that within 5 years online automobile journalists will outnumber accountants.

Some of the reviews spend more time on everything but the vehicle. Yes, it's based on the Ford Escape. Yes, Lincoln has been suffering of late. Yes, Cadillac has poured billions into new vehicles. There are times when it would be nice if they actually reviewed the vehicle.

One review wasn't so glowing but you could tell right from the get go it was more about how "savvy" the reviewer was and not the vehicle. He admitted he had only spent an hour with the vehicle. Yes - an hour. He made a portion of his video showing how hard it was to get out of the backseat when the driver's seat was in the position he found comfortable. It's unfortunate that reviews about other luxury vehicles don't mention the same thing.

The Motorweek preview video was more positive. The tester said he spent 8 hours with the vehicle and that it was VERY comfortable and it didn't feel like he spent that amount of time in it at all. He also loved the interior. They will be posting a longer review later on.

I really like the MKC. I think it's quite a nice looking vehicle.

People have been convinced that FWD is better in snow than RWD.

Maybe only for getting started, in that instance the tires makes all the difference.

The real reason FWD exists is because it's cheaper labor wise on the assembly line.

You are correct!

I live in New England and my only car is a 2005 Mustang I bought new. It handles the snow better with Hankook performance tires than all the FWD cars I've owned except for maybe my 1987 Ford EXP.

As far as a Lincoln Mustang, I would try to make it a Four door coupe type of car which is so popular today. A two door coupe seems like a recipe for disaster. I would even entertain the idea of making the rear doors rear hinged like the 60's era Continental as smaller doors would fit better on a Mustang platform and they would have to be rear hinged to stop them from having too little space for normal people to enter the car.

RWD can be boring? Impossible! Everyone tells me RWD is the ONLY true way to drive a vehicle. It provides amazing feel and control and FWD is garbage. Yet, here is a RWD vehicle characterized as boring. I'm confused.

Nope didnt say that, re-read my line.

" for those wanting RWD you have IS, and GS.............................. for those who want boring, they have ES and LS"

ES and LS , one FWD the other RWD/AWD, but mushy and boring.

For my needs I prefer RWD actually.

Nope didnt say that, re-read my line.

" for those wanting RWD you have IS, and GS.............................. for those who want boring, they have ES and LS"

ES and LS , one FWD the other RWD/AWD, but mushy and boring.

For my needs I prefer RWD actually.

Huh? I...yeah, never mind.