Lincoln boss: Two new models coming, *NOT* updated versions of current models

akirby - thanks for your quick reply. But do you know why both Bentley and Lincoln can both use the Co tinental name for a car?

Never thought about that til now. Apparently neither company owns the trademark or the one that owns it isn't enforcing it.

Lincstang?

You're probably going to see more Lincoln models made here in Michigan.

So Lincoln moves back towards proper names as Cadillac moves further away from them? I'll have my popcorn ready for GMI.

It will be a mix of MK_ and traditional names.

Regarding Lincoln bringing back the name Continental:

Is there an agreement with Bentley over the use of the name?

Does Lincoln still own the trademark?

Lincoln does have the trademark for Continental when it applies to Lincoln.

Part of me wishes Alan had left Ford before the launch of the 2013 MKZ.....my guess is that Mark Fields would have been more amenable to changing MKZ back to Zephyr. NOTHING, except the announcement of a bespoke RWD platform exclusive to Lincoln would give the brand more good-will amongst the press and car-fans than the return to names. And we all know that Lincoln needs all the good-will it can get.

The last couple of weeks have seen tons of rumors pertaining to both Lincoln and Cadillac...it seems like the next year or two are going to be really exciting times for these two brands and their fans.

I am loving the rumors of a return of the Continental nameplate. I hope it's true. I also hope that Lincoln ( and Ford ) building more products in Michigan. It would be great if Ford could fully reopen Wayne Assembly in order to make its rumored next-gen Prius fighter series of vehicles. My hope would be that the next MKZ ( if the brand doesn't return to using names ) would be a premium compact hybrid vehicle. Then, a rwd MKR sedan could be made the brand's proper entry-level sport/luxury sedan.

NOTHING, except the announcement of a bespoke RWD platform exclusive to Lincoln would give the brand more good-will amongst the press and car-fans than the return to names. And we all know that Lincoln needs all the good-will it can get.

And look how well thats working out for Caddy over the past 10-15 years when it come sot sales #

The luxury car market is a long-long-game. Audi and Infiniti been winning respect and comparison tests since the late 90's and their sales STILL aren't a match for BMW and Mercedes. Lexus has a similar great reputation but outside of the RX and ES their sales have never been great either. Cadillac has put in the "respect and comparison" work to great effect I think. Real sales will come but it will take time. There is some generational changeover coming that will help brands like Cadillac, Audi, and maybe Infiniti.

Hmmmm....I don't know what to make of that. If I had to bet, I'd bet that "Continental" isn't coming back soon....but I hope I'm wrong. That's all I can say.

Like I said you're not paying attention. The website below and the Lincoln Continental Club name was just recently authorized by Ford.

Robert has official permission from Ford for this website. That should tell you everything you need to know:

http://lincolncontinentalforum.net/

You're probably going to see more Lincoln models made here in Michigan.

It will be a mix of MK_ and traditional names.

Lincoln does have the trademark for Continental when it applies to Lincoln.

Part of me wishes Alan had left Ford before the launch of the 2013 MKZ.....my guess is that Mark Fields would have been more amenable to changing MKZ back to Zephyr. NOTHING, except the announcement of a bespoke RWD platform exclusive to Lincoln would give the brand more good-will amongst the press and car-fans than the return to names. And we all know that Lincoln needs all the good-will it can get.

The last couple of weeks have seen tons of rumors pertaining to both Lincoln and Cadillac...it seems like the next year or two are going to be really exciting times for these two brands and their fans.

I am loving the rumors of a return of the Continental nameplate. I hope it's true. I also hope that Lincoln ( and Ford ) building more products in Michigan. It would be great if Ford could fully reopen Wayne Assembly in order to make its rumored next-gen Prius fighter series of vehicles. My hope would be that the next MKZ ( if the brand doesn't return to using names ) would be a premium compact hybrid vehicle. Then, a rwd MKR sedan could be made the brand's proper entry-level sport/luxury sedan.

From what I understand, Ford no longer owns the Zephyr name when applied to autos.

Zephyr was A) not a great name and B) especially not a great name for a mid size sedan. If it gains a name after a future refresh, I hope they do a better job then "Zephyr."

I know these kinds of discussions are all opinion based, but I think Zephyr is a great name. It sounds mysterious to me. Plus, few automotive names begin with a "Z" so it is highly distinctive. But to each their own. :)

Don't forget Zephyr is a historic Lincoln name. Lincoln Zephyrs were built from 36-40. They didn't just make up the name.

IMO it didn't help that they took the name and applied it to the Mercury version of the Fairmont in the late 70's/early 80's and before then, applied it to a 50's Ford in Europe.

I don't think I would include Town Car as a "great name"........

Well the name did get watered down by being used as a Black car or limo for the past 20-30 years.

I think it would make a good trim level to help rebrand it to something to make it worth while again

Well the name did get watered down by being used as a Black car or limo for the past 20-30 years.

I think it would make a good trim level to help rebrand it to something to make it worth while again

My thoughts exactly. I think if the MKS or "Continental" or even the MKZ get a stretched wheelbase version for China or US ( if this happens I doubt the MKZ lwb would come be offered in the US ) those versions shouldn't be called something boring like "L" or some such nonsense. They should be called "MKS-Town Car," etc.