New Ford GT on the way

The GT began assembly at Mayflower Vehicle Systems in Norwalk, Ohio and was painted by Saleen in their Saleen Special Vehicles facility in Troy, Michigan. The GT is powered by an engine built at Ford's Romeo Engine Plant in Romeo, Michigan. Installation of the engine and manual transmission along with interior finishing was handled in the SVT building at Ford's Wixom, Michigan plant.

Can't find the quote button on my iPad. I think in order to call it a Ford vehicle they had to do the final assembly in a Ford plant.

Can't find the quote button on my iPad.

Yeah, the BON editor doesn't like Safari (at least on the iPad; I never use it on real computers). At least it fails gracefully back to a text entry box. If you know the BBCode

[quote] and [/quote]

you can add the tags manually.

From what I understand, the 5.4 that the Aussies got in their FPV variants was built at Romeo than shipped down under.

Edited by SoonerLS

Yeah, the BON editor doesn't like Safari (at least on the iPad; I never use it on real computers). At least it fails gracefully back to a text entry box. If you know the BBCode

[quote] and[/quote]
you can add the tags manually.

From what I understand, the 5.4 that the Aussies got in their FPV variants was built at Romeo than shipped down under.

Type in quote tags manually? That's like getting up to change the tv channel!

It does remind me I need a keyboard for this iPad.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

I'm not going to frown on an EcoBoost Coyote, but given the P2 car and the importance of advanced drivetrains to the market I would keep an open mind about a something else. I'm also holding out hope that Cosworth's going to have a motor show up in a Ford soonish.

I would hope that an engine intended for Ford's GT, or any racing endeavor would be developed in-house. As a Ford enthusiast since the early '60s, I've seen too much credit/publicity go to Cosworth rather than Ford itself for the money invested. People still confuse the in-house developed Indy Ford V-8 with the later "Cosworth" Indy V-8 (even though the Cosworth cam covers sometimes say FORD). Additionally, writers often refer all those '60s F-1 wins as "Cosworth powered" with no mention of Ford's involvement.

I would hope that an engine intended for Ford's GT, or any racing endeavor would be developed in-house. As a Ford enthusiast since the early '60s, I've seen too much credit/publicity go to Cosworth rather than Ford itself for the money invested. People still confuse the in-house developed Indy Ford V-8 with the later "Cosworth" Indy V-8 (even though the Cosworth cam covers sometimes say FORD). Additionally, writers often refer all those '60s F-1 wins as "Cosworth powered" with no mention of Ford's involvement.

That's valid, I consider the Cosworth partnership positive for both but I can see where people want a Ford heart in this beast. Perhaps if the car itself wete being buikt in-house rather thanby MM it would be less of an issue.

That's valid, I consider the Cosworth partnership positive for both but I can see where people want a Ford heart in this beast. Perhaps if the car itself wete being buikt in-house rather thanby MM it would be less of an issue.

Issue? MM is an advantage, not an issue. You obviously are in thrall of Cosworth. That was then, and this is now. IMHO, Cosworth doesn't really have anything to bring to the table with engine or transmission ideas.

Indeed, as the GT with the standing mile record shows, Ford has all the power.

And like Cosworth, it ain't Kar-Kraft anymore either. That's where MM comes in, think of MM as the Kar-Kraft of Composites for today. :)

Issue? MM is an advantage, not an issue. You obviously are in thrall of Cosworth. That was then, and this is now. IMHO, Cosworth doesn't really have anything to bring to the table with engine or transmission ideas.

Indeed, as the GT with the standing mile record shows, Ford has all the power.

And like Cosworth, it ain't Kar-Kraft anymore either. That's where MM comes in, think of MM as the Kar-Kraft of Composites for today. :)

Whoa, easy there partner. I'm in no way saying MM is an issue. I'm a big fan of their Mustang, Aston, and GT racing programs and I'm quite interested to see what comes of this new program. I was merely postulating that if the car were being done completely in-house people might be more willing to accept an engine that was not.

As for being "in thrall" of Cosworth, I like the company and I like the history. I also like the Shelby partnership, I liked the Saleen partnership that gave us the GT, heck I even liked the Yamaha partnership that gave us this

1993_ford_taurus_4_dr_sho_sedan-pic-9680

When Ford partners with someone and produces something interesting, I like that.

• Like 1

IMHO, it depends on the particular volume Ford might expect to sell. Gallardo-type sales, or full-bore unobtainium? One is about 3,500 vehicles per year, the other is 300.

The point is, at 3,500 per year, I can see MM working with Ford to develop Ford-sited composites assembly chops, but at 300 a year, IMHO, that would stay within the MM operation. Either way, skills and machinery like those used to fabricate the composite weave "A" pillars in the Lexus LFA would be a great addition to Ford engineering know-how, IMHO. :)

Someone asked if the TT V8 was called Voodoo. No, that is the code name for the 5.2L V8 in the new Shelby Mustang GT350 and features a flat plane crankshaft, is based on the Coyote, though shares very few parts. It uses a new block with larger bores thanks to using Plasma Transfer Wire Arc process piston liners like the GT500's Trinity 5.8L.

I have seen a Twin Turbo Coyote V8 in a Mustang Cobra Jet concept car that was in magazines and a couple car shows a while back. It had a beautiful carbon fiber air intake system and looked amazing. Link to mag.

I would think a twin turbo version of the Voodoo might be just the trick for a proper super car with 850+ horsepower. V6s are so SUV/Minivan/sedan pedestrian to me.

Edited by traxiii
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got some juicy info today.. So Ford has 3 prototypes right now of the GT.. again no idea if Ford is actually going to come out with it or not. One of them has a supercharged version of the new GT350 motor. All I'll say in regards to power is it is well above the Hellcat!!

And on a side note, was told the GT500 was going to be shown in Chicago..

Edited by blwnsmoke

Do you think Ford would be building this keeping Lemans in mind? I know it would be a "supercar" but I see it more of a very limited production for the public. I don't follow Lemans so I have no clue in regards to it.

2016 is the 50th anniversary of the Ford GTs first win over Ferrari. There is no way they would bring back the GT for 2016 and NOT race it at LeMans (or try). The 3.5L ecoboost and 5.2L FPC engines are within the LeMans specifications.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a6353/more-signs-point-to-ford-le-mans-program-and-ford-gt-revival/

EcoBoost V8 at 4.0L and not EcoBoost 3.5L? Or a V8 version of the 2.7L cranking out 3.6-3.8L? I'm just thinking something a bit more, um MORE, than the 3.5L for a GT.

They've been running an EB 3.5L in a Daytona prototype for the last year. I'm not sure about the trade offs between bigger displacements but it may be related to weight otherwise you'd think every team would be using the max displacement. I know Ferrari doesn't.

They've been running an EB 3.5L in a Daytona prototype for the last year. I'm not sure about the trade offs between bigger displacements but it may be related to weight otherwise you'd think every team would be using the max displacement. I know Ferrari doesn't.

Would be really cool to see what the 3.5EB can do with the wick cranked up!

Perhaps we'll see a special EB 3.7L V6 version for the GT. The 3.7L can be made to the same standards as the 3.5L in the EB. A bit more displacement and a hotter tune for the GT would make it that much more special. With the increase in displacement, they wouldn't have to run quite as much boost at the highest power levels, allowing them to achieve them for longer durations of reliability.