Jalopnik: RWD Lincoln coming, and it's a crossover

Remember when the old Explorer had an optional 3rd row seat? The take rate was extremely low. I think the larger size overall is much more of a factor than the 3rd row by itself. Especially for buyers who don't have children.

You would get that by stretching CD4.3 and essentially creating an Edge with as much space behind the 2nd row as you have with the Explorer.

Think new Galaxy with an extra inch and a half of ground clearance.

Edited by RichardJensen

You would get that by stretching CD4.3 and essentially creating an Edge with as much space behind the 2nd row as you have with the Explorer.

Think new Galaxy with an extra inch and a half of ground clearance.

OK

@akirby....lets ramp this up, substitute "OK" for "Whatever".......lmao.

OK :)

Jeebus... 18 pages already.

I would like to point out a false argument being thrown about earlier in the thread.

RWD doesn't give you better off road performance per se. Locking differential, transfer case, and different suspension designs do that. RWD is more amendable to locking differentials and transfer case etc because those things generally favors longitude engine and gearbox mounting for less complicated engineering.

Jeep is Jeep so they have to have something that can survive the Rubicon trail. Grand Cherokee for example offers 5 completely different drivetrain setup: RWD, Quadra Trac I (no low range), Quadra Trac II, Quadra Drive (on demand AWD), Select Terrain. But let's not mistakenly attribute the off road ability of Grand Cherokee to its RWD layout. RWD just make it easier to make a tough off road machine. But Jeep paid a big price for this off road ability... it had to basically design and build 5 different Grand Cherokees (Richard - this is probably the reason Chrysler margin are super thin....)

Let's forget RWD for a moment... Does it make any sense for Ford to make a tough off road mid size SUV and go after Grand Cherokee when Jeep only sells tiny handful of the tough off road capable Grand Cherokee? The vast majority of Grand Cherokee sold is RWD or one of the simpler AWD systems. If your answer is no - that Explorer doesn't need to take on this tiny niche off road market segment - then the rationale for going RWD is pretty much gone.

Is Grand Cherokee getting demonstrably higher transaction prices than Explorer now? Does having 5 completely different drivetrains add value to Jeep aside from the romantic notion that it can supposedly tackle the Rubicon trail *properly equiped*? Is that relevant to Ford?

And vis a vie a potential Lincoln MKT replacement (Aviator if you will, but I don't think that name will come back), will RWD command higher prices than Acura MDX? Audi Q7? Upcoming Lexus TX (7 seat RX)?

Edited by bzcat

It's not RWD per se. It's having a full time 4WD/AWD setup based on a RWD platform. The problem with the current Explorer system is that the PTU and differential can't handle sending torque to the rear wheels for any extended period of time - it burns it up. And the cost to increase the torque capacity and make it a full time AWD system either isn't possible or isn't worth the effort.

And again - if this was only about Explorer it wouldn't make much sense. It only makes sense as one vehicle of many sharing a platform that is needed for Lincoln.

And for the record - nobody is saying it HAS to happen this way. Ford could just as easily keep Explorer on CD4.whatever.

We're just saying that IF certain things are true like the Aviator and no new U.S. Taurus then we could see Ford doing this.

Grand Cherokee for example offers 5 completely different drivetrain setup: RWD, Quadra Trac I (no low range), Quadra Trac II, Quadra Drive (on demand AWD), Select Terrain. But let's not mistakenly attribute the off road ability of Grand Cherokee to its RWD layout. RWD just make it easier to make a tough off road machine. But Jeep paid a big price for this off road ability... it had to basically design and build 5 different Grand Cherokees (Richard - this is probably the reason Chrysler margin are super thin....)

Let's forget RWD for a moment... Does it make any sense for Ford to make a tough off road mid size SUV and go after Grand Cherokee when Jeep only sells tiny handful of the tough off road capable Grand Cherokee? The vast majority of Grand Cherokee sold is RWD or one of the simpler AWD systems. If your answer is no - that Explorer doesn't need to take on this tiny niche off road market segment - then the rationale for going RWD is pretty much gone.

Is Grand Cherokee getting demonstrably higher transaction prices than Explorer now? Does having 5 completely different drivetrains add value to Jeep aside from the romantic notion that it can supposedly tackle the Rubicon trail *properly equiped*? Is that relevant to Ford?

The only difference between Quadra Trac II and Quadra Drive is the addition of ELSD. Otherwise, same transfer case.

SelectTerrain is completely electronic. It's on any two speed transfer case automatically, not a "separate drivetrain". It allows for different "modes" much like cars have sport and touring settings. That's like saying Explorer's Terrain Management System denotes an entirely new drivetrain.

Quadra Trac I is basically a simple transfer case with no Lo-range....and the base RWD doesn't add any additional cost since its included by default in all the above models.

So basically, two different transfer cases, a front LSD and some electronic nannies are all that separate your RWD model from the top level model.

That isn't "5 completely different drivetrains" and not much different then what the Explorer offers in terms of complexity (number of engines transmissions, etc...).

Edited by Intrepidatious

Jeebus... 18 pages already.

And vis a vie a potential Lincoln MKT replacement (Aviator if you will, but I don't think that name will come back), will RWD command higher prices than Acura MDX? Audi Q7? Upcoming Lexus TX (7 seat RX)?

Yeah, and like three or four pages of legit content--and I'm probably more to blame for the repetitive nature of several posts than anyone else.

I'm dubious about Lincoln's pricing power in this market.

I thought Lincoln was ok and you were only concerned about Explorer pricing.

They can sell incremental volume in this market at practically any price, but you can't build a business case for a $70k+ Lincoln based primarily off US volume. The market's not interested.

And I'm not concerned about Explorer pricing, I'm concerned about Explorer costing.

Edited by RichardJensen

They can sell incremental volume in this market at practically any price, but you can't build a business case for a $70k+ Lincoln based primarily off US volume. The market's not interested.

Good thing they're planning to make global vehicles now.

And I'm not concerned about Explorer pricing, I'm concerned about Explorer costing.

If you reduce Explorer's profit margin by $500 but you increase sales 10% and you save millions by having a single platform instead of two - I don't see the problem.

rather off-topic response

...can't build a business case for a $70k+ Lincoln based primarily off US volume...

even I won't try to guess volume but

my ideal Lincoln lineup has

- Navigator

- Continental(s) (unrelated to MKS)

- MKSreplacement SuperEnergi (top end) & BEV

- Aviator & Aviator-Sport (top end only)

- LincStangs

all with models/trims over $70k ... THIS decade, as soon as they can debut

(none over $99,999 tho)

Edited by 2b2

I've always found Benedryl works best for me. Fortunately it doesn't make me drowsy. (That's RWD Benedryl. None of this FWD Claritin stuff for me).

Diphenhydramine is, allegedly, the best antihistamine yet discovered. The only reasons for taking Claritin/Zyrtec/etc. is they're non-drowsy.

I have had a couple days this week that have needed more than one shot of flonase, a rescue inhaler and 3 benadryls. Yay!