Pete D. is trolling us. Right?

http://www.autoextremist.com/

First he says this: "One of the good things about the car business, however, is that no matter how sure the instant outsider "experts" are about what they think is going on in this business, they can never really understand it and never really know what's going on"

Then he says this: "it encompasses everything and everyone all the time in a relentless 24/7 slog that never ends"

Then he says THIS: "the single most important launch in automotive history is about to take place"

He's speaking about the F150.

It's like Pete D. decided to combine every single Pete D. trope in existence, every hyperactively breathless reference to the industry, every dismissive insult dished out to critics of the industry, every hackneyed phrase, as a means of celebrating what is indeed a very important new vehicle launch.

Either that or he's trolling us.

• Like 1

Even though I (begrudgingly) read his column every week. I can't stand him.

It's like the Howard Stern effect.

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.
Pig Vomit: How can that be?
Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."
Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?
Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

• Like 1

Even though I (begrudgingly) read his column every week. I can't stand him.

It's like the Howard Stern effect.

I skim him, as I used to skim Simmons.

Now I don't even skim Simmons. Once I realized that everything he writes is about how this thing or that thing affects him, it all began to seem really creepy and narcissistic.

Edited by RichardJensen

http://www.autoextremist.com/

It's like Pete D. decided to combine every single Pete D. trope in existence, every hyperactively breathless reference to the industry, every dismissive insult dished out to critics of the industry, every hackneyed phrase, as a means of celebrating what is indeed a very important new vehicle launch.

Not quite. There is no mention of his dad being friends with the late Bill Mitchell, and Pete just happening to walk past Mitchell's house when one of his customized Corvettes was parked in the driveway, and Mitchell giving him a ride after he spotted Pete ogling it.

The only other product launch in the history of Ford Motor Company that was more important was the launch of the Model A in the late 20s.

The F Series is the cash cow. There is no more important vehicle to Ford in North America.

The 1949 Ford was just as important. If it had flopped, the company probably would have gone bankrupt.

The media is hyping this launch so they can be the first to criticize,and place blame when something about the truck does not meet expectations...and on the other hand, if the truck is a flawless runaway success, they can be the first ones to say "I told you so" .

The media is covering their bases. I think the truck will launch very well. My only concern will be that the truck will not be competitive price wise.

Transaction prices are A LOT higher than $395.00. That base price difference is misleading. If you compare volume models equipped the same, the price difference is more like 2K...in addition, the current incentives on the '14 is around 3-4K. This will be something that ford will contend with and I'm sure will manage.

Transaction prices are A LOT higher than $395.00. That base price difference is misleading. If you compare volume models equipped the same, the price difference is more like 2K...in addition, the current incentives on the '14 is around 3-4K. This will be something that ford will contend with and I'm sure will manage.

But most of that 2K is due to new equipment not found on the current models which may be optional.

I trust that if anybody understands the market and pricing, it's Ford.

Base prices only increased $395 on XL and XLT models. The larger price increases on KR and platinums are due to more standard features not simple price increases.

semi correct...but to counter that minimal rise in pricing, other options have risen...the 5.0 is now an additional $1000 from what it used to be, and certain packages are ALSO additional..101a for example. I just specd a 14 and 15 with EXACTLY the same specs...difference was over $1600......so much for the $395...makes good PR though...

semi correct...but to counter that minimal rise in pricing, other options have risen...the 5.0 is now an additional $1000 from what it used to be, and certain packages are ALSO additional..101a for example. I just specd a 14 and 15 with EXACTLY the same specs...difference was over $1600......so much for the $395...makes good PR though...

But what options are different on the 101a fir the two model years?

I was at a military-installation in Vilseck, Germany today and I saw lots of F150 and current-generation Fusions there (which allowed me to have a first look at the upcoming new Mondeo). This showed me the importance of the F150 for Ford, but also the inroads that Ford has been making with the Fusion in its segment.

I was driving in my Race Red European-spec 2014 Focus ST and encountered an identical-looking American-spec, Race Red Focus ST, which followed right behind me, it was kind of funny.

aside from the Aluminum the cars were verbatim. oh sorry, Curve control, the center stack screen is slightly bigger, and box cleats....5.0 is now a $1595 option.......

Curve control. Productivity screens. Selectshift trans. Power equipment group. Other than all those differences they're exactly the same.