2016 MKX

The rake of the windshield on the concept appears to be "faster." (Note that it follows the rake of the side-view mirror, as does the rake of the windshield on the production version. But the side-view mirror on the production version is more upright, and the windshield rake follows it.)

The side quarter window of the concept appears to be smaller than the side quarter window of the production version.

The hood appears to be slightly longer on the concept (check the difference in length between the cut line of the front door and the outer edge of the gray cladding around the wheel well). This effect is accentuated by the lack of a hood seam on the concept.

Also note that the lower door openings on the concept stop at the cladding, while they are almost to the bottom of the vehicle on the production version.

Minor details? Perhaps, but some can see the differences. They affect the proportions of the vehicle.

Edited by grbeck

Minor details? Perhaps, but some can see the differences. They affect the proportions of the vehicle.

That's what I meant by "stylized" - minor tweaks although I think some of those are just optical illusions. I don't see any difference in the roof or windshield and the difference in the rear window is due to larger trim piece on the concept.

The rake of the windshield on the concept appears to be "faster." (Note that it follows the rake of the side-view mirror, as does the rake of the windshield on the production version. But the side-view mirror on the production version is more upright, and the windshield rake follows it.)

The side quarter window of the concept appears to be smaller than the side quarter window of the production version.

The hood appears to be slightly longer on the concept (check the difference in length between the cut line of the front door and the outer edge of the gray cladding around the wheel well). This effect is accentuated by the lack of a hood seam on the concept.

Also note that the lower door openings on the concept stop at the cladding, while they are almost to the bottom of the vehicle on the production version.

+ 1

Differences in hood length and windshield rake are key components to the overall appearance of any vehicle. From my perspective, they are not the result of optical illusions. The production version has a shorter hood and slightly more upright windshield than the concept.

They do affect the appearance. During the development process for a new vehicle, monumental battles have been fought over adding or subtracting an inch to the hood, or making a seemingly minor change to the rake of the windshield.

These changes do not, however, make the production version of the MKC "ugly." I still believe that it's a very attractive vehicle. But the differences between the MKC concept and production version are enough that I'm going to wait until I see the production version of the MKX before passing judgment on it. Your views, of course, may vary.

Edited by grbeck

This ^^^^^. Look at what they did between the MKC concept and production and apply that to the MKX concept. You could do the same thing to the 2015 Edge also. These "concepts" are just slightly stylized pre production prototypes that are 95% of the final product.

With high-grade flush-fit door windows, like the A-7/A-8 have on the showroom floor production models. Lincoln will have to do better. :)

Style of the Concept, not placement on Vehicle (ie: LED lighting)

That concept's mirror is not production feasible. Everyone knows that.

With high-grade flush-fit door windows, like the A-7/A-8 have on the showroom floor production models. Lincoln will have to do better. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if we had a better implametation of stuff like that on the MKX, given it's the first fully redesigned vehicle for the new Lincoln. Meaning it's the first new one on a completely new platform. MKZ, while a new platform, fell under the end of the old styling regime. MKC was under the new styling regime but was limited by the existing Escape platform/hard points (yes, I know the platform was modified slightly, but still). So the MKX will be the first completely new vehicle under the new styling/brand direction where they can purposely include things like that from the get-go. But we'll see what happens with it! Fingers crossed! Details like that will help upgrade Lincoln's image for sure (at least to us detail-oriented folks haha).

Agreed. There are a number of minor proportional tweaks that changed the overall feel of the MKC from concept to production. The most noticeable to me was the distance from the edge of the front wheel well to the front door cut line. Not all will notice them, but they jumped out at me. The Zephyr concept to production model had similar proportional tweaks, but it was much more noticeable.

• Like 1

I overlaid the two in Photoshop, skewed slightly to account for photo distortion, and here is what I am noticing:

Concept: smaller wheel wells
Concept: A-pillar pushed back about 1"

Concept: Smaller rear window, larger rear spoiler

Concept: Rear 1/3 of greenhouse, slight reduction in glass area, more curve

Concept: Front and rear bumpers pulled in more toward bottom, overally body length probably lost a couple inches

Below is the photoshop file - it's much easier to see the differences when sliding back and forth between 0% and 100% opacity.

34qp9w0.jpg

• Like 1

I overlaid the two in Photoshop, skewed slightly to account for photo distortion, and here is what I am noticing:

Concept: smaller wheel wells

Concept: A-pillar pushed back about 1"

Concept: Smaller rear window, larger rear spoiler

Concept: Rear 1/3 of greenhouse, slight reduction in glass area, more curve

Concept: Front and rear bumpers pulled in more toward bottom, overally body length probably lost a couple inches

Below is the photoshop file - it's much easier to see the differences when sliding back and forth between 0% and 100% opacity.

34qp9w0.jpg

That's the MKC. (or maybe that's what you were talking about lol.

The rear door of the MKX has only one window, the old MKX had two, and one window would go all the way down, I suspect that the new MKX Rear door window wont go all the way down (not enough frrom I think)

Not a fan of the plastic wheel well moldings - probably will bleach out with sun !

One of my favorite parts about the concept never made it to the production vehicle - the way the second and third bars of the grill wrapped under the headlights to house the yellow leds.

It was one of the nicest Lincoln design touches in a while.

Did anyone else notice there are 2 different types of headlamps? One looks like an array of LED's like on some high-end Audis and the new Explorer Platinum and the other looks like a typical projector beam design on current Lincolns.

post-20193-0-35960900-1418906503_thumb.jpg

post-20193-0-03947200-1418906596_thumb.jpg

Edited by hbalek

You know what makes the biggest visual difference? The door handles, mirror and paint including the reflected lights.

I see the difference behind the front wheel and the front door but that's really minor.

The main thing for me is that, while I noticed the differences, the concept was not more attractive than the production version. The MKC sitting on the dealer lot is still a very handsome vehicle. On that, I believe, we will agree.

That was not the case with the concept vehicle that became the Zephyr/MKZ.