Everest Testing in Arizona Proving Ground

Uh........so does Ford usually build LHD test versions of their Australian Exclusive RHD vehicles?

attachicon.gifLHD Everest.jpg

This is not an Australian exclusive product, T6 Ranger is sold in up to 130 countries in rest of the world.

T6 Everest is the companion SUV that will be sold along side it and replaces a previous Mazda design

About the only place they are not currently sold in is North America.

When it will be sold around the world yes, just not the US at this time formally. It has already been announced for China/Korea/Middle East.

Thailand, South East Asia, Australia, New Zealand, India, South Africa and South America markets, maybe Central America too?

Ranger is also sold in UK and Europe so highly ikely that diesel Everest will be sold there too.

Edited by jpd80

I saw 5-6 VW Amaroks driving in a convoy in Arizona a few years back. The American Southwest is one of the few hot desert environments in the world that is mostly crime free, so all kinds of vehicles are tested here whether or not they're actually going to be sold here.

yawn.

ROW cars are tested in the states all the time, its cheaper for Ford to do everything here where they have access just about every climate in the world

I've seen Chinese spec cars driving down I-75 near my house, complete with Chinese language badges

I've seen the previous gen Territory in the same area, Right hand Drive version.

There's Right-Hand-Drive PP Mustangs driving around the area of the Dearborn proving grounds as we speak

Funny thing, Australia has some pretty good deserts for this kind of testing as well, and it is summer there now. Just saying

But we don't have high altitude deserts, that may make a huge difference to the data collection.

I have a feeling that using Arizona also assists in standardizing tests and data for universal application across a lot of markets.

Perhaps this is also a way of preserving critical raw data incase North America decides it wants in at a future time.

Yes, but they probably can't justify the added expense of shipping cars over there just for testing

Actually quite the opposite.

Geelong is base for Ford Asia Pacific design and engineering, they have over 1500 engineers there as well a testing facilities

that are coming over from Ford Australia. There's even talk of turning Broadmeadows into a pilot plant after Falcon ends in 2016.

The point is that a lot of testing gets dom=ne in Australia yes but some final testing is required elsewhere ilike Nth America and Europe.

Due to the large number of countries Everest and Ranger are sold in, they require far more extensive testing

than would be applied to a domestic product that's basically intended for say, North America or Australia.

The numbers of vehicles required to complete crash testing for T6 Ranger alone was jaw dropping

and I'd expect that Everest will be no less comprehensive.

Stop thinking Ford Australia - think Ford Asia Pacific Center of Excellence

which just happens to be located in Australia and has taken over FoA development facilities.

FAPA also does work for other regions like Ford NA and Ford Europe as exampled by

past deliveries of Taurus and Fusion Hybrid for testing and evaluation purposes.

Edited by jpd80

Austin, I think, has mentioned in the past that prototypes are occasionally tested in multiple locations to validate the testing protocols.

Interestingly enough, I've just seen two Ford engineers (one active, one retired) say on another forum that they always test in multiple locations. The retired one had to go to Yellowknife in the winter on a regular basis, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't miss it. ;)

Edited by SoonerLS

Interestingly enough, I've just seen two Ford engineers (one active, one retired) say on another forum that they always test in multiple locations. The retired one had to go to Yellowknife in the winter on a regular basis, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't miss it. ;)

Yellowknife is currently -11°F. Wind chill -29°F

Sunrise: 9:37

Sunset: 16:00

Years ago the EB Falcon was tested by driving back and froth from San Diego to Alaska for many months,

can you imagine the tongues wagging in California seeing an odd looking taurus going back and forthe...

This car brings back memories for me , I put 250,000 kms on one with a 4.0 I-6, the color is called Everglade..

dec09002.jpg

Edited by jpd80

Years ago the EB Falcon was tested by driving back and froth from San Diego to Alaska for many months,

can you imagine the tongues wagging in California seeing an odd looking taurus going back and forthe...

This car brings back memories for me , I put 250,000 kms on one with a 4.0 I-6, the color is called Everglade..

EB had the ZF 4 speed auto right? My dad had an EA and the 3 speed auto was... craptastic.