Most popular vehicle by state

And Southrons, including my ancestors, have embraced this philosophy since colonial times.

Furthermore, Toyota vehicles have been notably popular in the Southeastern United States ever since Toyota first had a presence in this country. Southeast Toyota Distributors, LLC (SET) is the world's largest independent distributor of Toyotas, and Toyota dealerships in the five state SET region (Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina) are the most profitable among all Toyota Motor Sales USA sales regions. SET is infamous, however, for its proclivity to include overpriced accessories and packages on new cars (just as ANTAUS mentioned).

All true but with one detail, you specified SET is independent and it is but SET and GST are the only 2 that remain independent. All the rest were bought back by Toyota years ago.

• Like 1

All true but with one detail, you specified SET is independent and it is but SET and GST are the only 2 that remain independent. All the rest were bought back by Toyota years ago.

That's correct, F250! The other three independent Toyota distributors - Mid-Atlantic [currently TMS' Central Atlantic Region], Mid-Southern [currently the Kansas City, Chicago, and Cincinnati regions], and New England [currently the Boston region] - were either bought out or had their franchise terminated by TMS in the 1970s and 1980s.

Ironically, the owner and founder of New England Toyota Distributors Inc., George Butler, was involved in and lost a lawsuit with TMS because his distributorship engaged in "unsavory practices such as loading customers' cars with accessories they did not want" according to Automotive News. Isn't that what SET and GST still do currently?

Edited by aneekr

Most of Colorado lives in the Front Range (Pueblo to Fort Collins). Generally speaking, it's flat as a pancake.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Denver,+CO/@39.6806299,-104.480203,8z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x876b80aa231f17cf:0x118ef4f8278a36d6!5m1!1e4

If you drive the roughly 60 miles from Denver to Colorado Springs you would go from 5280' in Denver over the 7000+' Palmer Divide and end up 6035' downtown Colo Springs. If you wanted to go a few miles from there to trail-head for Pike's Peak in Manitou Springs, you would be at nearly 6500'. You can drive hundreds, even a thousand miles elsewhere in the country and not see that kind of altitude gain. This is only the north-south driving that RJ inaccurately described. If you go west, which is the purpose of living in this magnificent state, then you start at 5280' in Denver and it only goes up from there! I can do a short bike ride loop from my front door near Castle Rock and the profile would show 1000' of climbing. This not even going into the mountains. Flat and Colorado are not compatible words. I live at 6000' in the Denver south suburbs and I cannot get out of my driveway without 4wheel drive on some winter days.

Now, why Subaru? I can't answer that. I can tell you that Colorado is not a stronghold for American brands. I can tell the story of my good friend who had a 2003 Explorer and at 125,000 miles thought he needed a new car. He bought a Subaru - whatever that wagon is the Outback or something. Told me everyone loves their Subaru and nobody loves their Ford. I convinced him to do some repairs to the old Explorer and keep it as second car, challenging that is would last a long time if he gave it the chance. I also told him that just because the anecdotal love for Subaru's is verbally expressed, it does not mean it will be trouble free. Well, last time we met up to go skiing, he said let's take your Explorer 'cause the Subaru was under recall - again, and he did not want to drive it. Again this summer we went camping and he mentioned - "you were right about the Subaru..." as it has needed some significant repairs. And the old Explorer - 200k and still going. He mentioned that he was glad he fixed it and is pleased with the second wind it has provided.

As far as the Southern States and Toyota - just Google Senator Shelby and the "Toyota Republicans". Remember Shelby grilling Alan Mulally at the hearings (failing to acknowledge Ford was not requesting money) asking him if he would relinquish his salary in return for government bail-out, and Mulally replied something like: "...no, I will stay where I am at...".

I am surprised at Alaska and Montana going Dodge Ram rather than Ford. Last time I saw that map they were Ford States.

If you drive the roughly 60 miles from Denver to Colorado Springs you would go from 5280' in Denver over the 7000+' Palmer Divide and end up 6035' downtown Colo Springs. If you wanted to go a few miles from there to trail-head for Pike's Peak in Manitou Springs, you would be at nearly 6500'. You can drive hundreds, even a thousand miles elsewhere in the country and not see that kind of altitude gain.

Thank you for picking a single stretch of road and magnifying it all out of proportion.

Fort Collins to Denver is flatter than a pancake. Almost the same net elevation change over the same distance that you see traveling from Sioux Falls to Brookings, South Dakota--and the SD route is significantly hillier. And before you ask, yes I've been there. Yes I know what I'm talking about. Yes, the Front Range from Cheyenne to Denver is flat, Denver is flat, and if Denver to Colorado Springs is hilly, it is certainly not 'mountainous'. You'd be hard pressed to find a car that can't manage I-25 between Denver and Colorado Springs.

And talking about how amazing it is that there's a 400' elevation change in Colorado Springs, please. There's almost 400' of elevation change in Pierre, SD along the Missouri River trench--less than two miles from 1800' by the airport to <1440 along the river. And you don't see people in that town puffing their chests out and talking about how necessary it is that they have special vehicles capable of those unique challenges.

Finally, yes, Colorado has mountains. It's pretty much impossible to miss that, given the extent to which Coloradoans seem to act as though they built the damn things---instead of doing nothing more impressive than choosing to live next to them.

I've been there often enough, and spent enough time there to know just how flat most of Denver is, and to know how rarely your *typical* Coloradoan needs the magical capabilities of his or her Subaru AWD system. If you choose certain hobbies you might need AWD of some sort, just as you might need a truck for other hobbies elsewhere. But I'm guessing that 95% or more of the people living in the Front Range do not need AWD in order to go about their everyday activities.

So let's all just stop with this 'Colorado has mountains therefore I need an AWD' crap. It makes just about as much sense as 'South Dakota has farms, therefore I need a truck.'

Edited by RichardJensen

As far as the Southern States and Toyota - just Google Senator Shelby and the "Toyota Republicans". Remember Shelby grilling Alan Mulally at the hearings (failing to acknowledge Ford was not requesting money) asking him if he would relinquish his salary in return for government bail-out, and Mulally replied something like: "...no, I will stay where I am at...".

I remember Sen. Bob Corker was booed off stage at the GM Spring Hill plant restart event . He was also one of the main Republicans that wanted blood from Detroit.

Thank you for picking a single stretch of road and magnifying it all out of proportion.

So let's all just stop with this 'Colorado has mountains therefore I need an AWD' crap. It makes just about as much sense as 'South Dakota has farms, therefore I need a truck.'

Ok, I'll back off now - I have go plow my driveway anyhow...

Can't confirm that this is really Jeff Foxworthy, but it is funny (because the jokes ring true) and in his style.

11. You know all 4 seasons; almost winter, winter, still winter, and spring blizzards. Read all 44:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/colorado/110236-jeff-foxworthy-living-colorado.html

I had read the good folks in Boston were freaked out by the Thundersnow - that is as common around here as a Broncos Super Bowl loss!

Edited by Kev-Mo

Ok, I'll back off now - I have go plow my driveway anyhow...

Can't confirm that this is really Jeff Foxworthy, but it is funny (because the jokes ring true) and in his style.

11. You know all 4 seasons; almost winter, winter, still winter, and spring blizzards. Read all 44:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/colorado/110236-jeff-foxworthy-living-colorado.html

I had read the good folks in Boston were freaked out by the Thundersnow - that is as common around here as a Broncos Super Bowl loss!

It's not uncommon here either... The thundersnow, not a super bowl loss. :)

It's not uncommon here either... The thundersnow, not a super bowl loss. :)

You guys should be proud - that was one of the most courageous wins I have ever witnessed. Amazing to watch Seattle play against a super talented John Fox coached team, then watch them play against a super talented Belichick coached team. What a difference. Hopefully we corrected that...

Next time I want to express frequency I will say as common as a Peyton Manning playoff loss!

^well that was a bit unnecessary

LOL..did I hit a sore spot? Please don't tell me you drive a Chebby? Even though it says Focus? Lesbaru is a real common term where I live. The Butch lesbo chicks will kick your ass and tell you so!! I'm friends with a few that have more facial hair than me.. so relax my friend..

That's correct, F250! The other three independent Toyota distributors - Mid-Atlantic [currently TMS' Central Atlantic Region], Mid-Southern [currently the Kansas City, Chicago, and Cincinnati regions], and New England [currently the Boston region] - were either bought out or had their franchise terminated by TMS in the 1970s and 1980s.

Ironically, the owner and founder of New England Toyota Distributors Inc., George Butler, was involved in and lost a lawsuit with TMS because his distributorship engaged in "unsavory practices such as loading customers' cars with accessories they did not want" according to Automotive News. Isn't that what SET and GST still do currently?

Yes, aftermarket wheels sunroofs and other crap. When collision repair is needed you have to try to find these parts from an SET/GST dealer have them shipped up and hope they are still available.

SET/GST do not even accept Toyota's own extended service program using their own JMA/Fidelity aftermarket crap.

• Like 1

LOL..did I hit a sore spot? Please don't tell me you drive a Chebby? Even though it says Focus? Lesbaru is a real common term where I live. The Butch lesbo chicks will kick your ass and tell you so!! I'm friends with a few that have more facial hair than me.. so relax my friend..

Really? Was I supposed to know that without ever setting foot in your state? Give me a break.

I remember Sen. Bob Corker was booed off stage at the GM Spring Hill plant restart event . He was also one of the main Republicans that wanted blood from Detroit.

Corker's plan was the basis of the Detroit bailout (though I don't think it was quite executed the way he intended). He didn't want blood from Detroit, he just wanted everyone to share in the sh*t sandwich instead of protecting executives and the unions at the expense of the other stakeholders.

• Like 2

Corker's plan was the basis of the Detroit bailout (though I don't think it was quite executed the way he intended). He didn't want blood from Detroit, he just wanted everyone to share in the sh*t sandwich instead of protecting executives and the unions at the expense of the other stakeholders.

Even Steven Rattner, head of the Administration's Task Force on the Auto Industry, praised Senator Corker in his book, and blasted the executive teams of both GM and Chrysler. He called GM's supposedly vaunted Finance Department "the worst he had ever seen" in a major corporation.

Simply handing over large chunks of taxpayer money without many strings attached - which is basically what GM, Chrysler and the UAW originally wanted the federal government to do - would have resulted in the American version of British Leyland, Times Two.

Edited by grbeck

Corker's constituents apparently agreed with his position, as the Tennessee senator handily won re-election in 2012 with 65% of the vote.

Edited by aneekr

I'm a little surprised that some brands control whole sections of the country. And can Ram have that more dealers or is the advertising agency better out there? And like someone said, how can GMC lead in ANY state?! No surprise that a Jap brand leads in CA, since it's right across the big river! Who's buying all the Toyotas in the southeast.......retirees/military vets? Gee, they fought the Japanese after Pearl Harbor and we thought we won the war. But apparently Japan did! I think I now know why Camaro mysteriously outsells Mustang. The states that Chevy leads in are states where people might buy a pony car. The lower and upper midwestern buyer might not be in the market for a pony car. Because I can't understand how I can see 10 Mustangs to every one Camaro here in Connecticut, and yet Camaro outsells Mustang nationwide. It's baffling!

Who's buying all the Toyotas in the southeast.......retirees/military vets?

Southerners in general - i.e., regular consumers. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Toyota products have been notably popular in the South for quite some time. The ten states serviced by independent distributors GST and SET plus Virginia, Maryland, Tennessee, and Kentucky account for about half of Toyota's U.S. sales.

Who's buying all the Toyotas in the southeast.......retirees/military vets? Gee, they fought the Japanese after Pearl Harbor and we thought we won the war. But apparently Japan did!

The surviving World War II vets are in their early 90s by this point. They haven't been driving the new vehicle market for at least 30 years. The overwhelming majority of today's military retirees and active service people should have no beef with Japan.

Edited by grbeck