Ford 200 mile EV

I'm left with the impression that we will simply swap one master (oil) for another (electricity)

and until the electricity masters work out an efficient way to store and charge for their energy

in cars, the consumer will pay for all kinds of new technology costs.

The turning point for me is when people star looking at performance hybrids and EVs,

not just the econo versions that eek out a mundane existence as basic transport.

Give us cars and Utilities that inspire a new generation of giult free motoring.

The turning point for me is when people star looking at performance hybrids and EVs,

not just the econo versions that eek out a mundane existence as basic transport.

My son in-law works Tesla (I know R.J. you don't like Musk) and got to drive this my daughter was like "holy roller coaster.".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYj7y0stOzA

So with a little luck performance EVs will compete with I.C.E.s performance cars.

hmm, can't embed.

Edited by Ron W.

My son in-law works Tesla (I know R.J. you don't like Musk) and got to drive this my daughter was like "holy roller coaster.".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYj7y0stOzA

So with a little luck performance EVs will compete with I.C.E.s performance cars.

hmm, can't embed.

Issue is that Tesla still is losing money and the Musk factor is finally starting to be questioned. I love the shakeup that Tesla has done to the market but the China market layoffs, roomers of missing cars, sales propped up by massive government incentives that are slowly going away, constant delays of the Model X, bonus discounts on demos, having to pay huge amounts to people so Apple doesn't poach them all, unknown resale value, all while burning massive amounts of cash while not getting the revenue from selling credits that they did. You have the Germans coming on strong in the upper market, and Nissan and GM announced in the main market. Apple with a ton of cash, and compete in a market where getting a margin of 10% is considered out of this world.

Musk is good at keeping the company in the news, baiting people and making himself the underdog. Apple will probably just come in and buy the company after it files for Bankruptcy which should be shortly after it stock price crashes, people bail on the company in a panic as their stock options are worthless and the media piles on which drys up sales. This should all happen come ~2017 when the next recession hits.

Edited by jasonj80

it will be interesting if they stay afloat without a huge shot from someone such as Apple, something I've said since day one, much to the chagrin of Tesla cultists, there's NO way they can survive bleeding money like they are and continue investing in areas that right now have limited return...."Superchargers???? " nothing like trying to invest in an infrastructure for what's basically a limited production car is there?. With rumors major players will be entering the foray, their "niche' market gets threatened as well...just cant see a WIN anywhere for Tesla....bunch of hyperloop if you ask me....lol

it will be interesting if they stay afloat without a huge shot from someone such as Apple

Yeah, except Apple doesn't know how to make money on cars either.

Here's what you need to know about Tesla in one very simple statistic:

They issued $2.1B in notes last year. They burned through $990M of that money last year. They had $3.1B in revenue.

That is not in any way, shape or form a sustainable business model.

That this offering was bumped up due to investor demand is exhibit A in today's lecture on the stupidity of allegedly smart people acting in herds.

• Like 1

Tesla was brought up in this discussion as an example of how EVs and hybrids can offer more than just basic transportation. The fact that we're discussing whether or not Tesla will ultimately be successful more than 5 years after a bunch of us had already set very pessimistic expectations shows that, regardless of Musk's adventure, the technology has plenty of potential. If a startup (admittedly a very well-funded startup) can accomplish as much as they have, imagine what established automakers will accomplish once they start applying even a fraction of the focus as Tesla has on this segment. We're starting to see signs of that shift of focus with a number of major players (VW, BMW, GM) and now, I'm guessing 3 of the top 5 fastest cars in the world are either hybrids or plug-in hybrids, with more on the way. All that to say, Ford should make sure they don't get left behind in this segment. I was disappointed that they didn't have a single electrified powertrain to show off at Detroit, and this 200-mile EV rumour is one of a very few hints we've heard about Ford's plans, and now this one has been pretty flat out denied by Ford. I've always been a Ford fan above all else, but it's been frustrating to look elsewhere in the industry to get excited about new products for some time now. If I'm back in the market for a car in the next couple years as I expect, it's looking very unlikely that it'll be another Ford at this point.

But I think the issue is that a 200 mile EV is still the realm of expensive exotics and not within reach

of even premium buyers. Maybe it takes the commitment of a large corporation like Ford or GM

to will a 200 mile EV into existance and force down prices with volume production and sales.

It would be nice to see but I doubt the will or need is there just yet..