More Taurus spy photos

bzcat

If they're doing this new Taurus only for China the only logical conclusion is they're doing a new large sedan for NA on CD6 and it won't be ready for another year or two.

So what happens to the CD4 Continental when Ford debuts a CD6 "Taurus"?

This whole series of constructs based on the "China only Taurus" premise, as opposed to the "China first Taurus" reminds me of epicycles and deferents.

What is far more probable, IMO, is CD4 Taurus + Continental, with a production premier of the Taurus in China, and production premier of the Continental in the US, with both vehicles being assembled at FRAP alongside the mechanically related Fusion. The Taurus may also be assembled in China.

What is far more probable, IMO, is CD4 Taurus + Continental, with a production premier of the Taurus in China, and production premier of the Continental in the US, with both vehicles being assembled at FRAP alongside the mechanically related Fusion. The Taurus may also be assembled in China.

IIRC I thought it was earmarked already to be assembled there?

This whole series of constructs based on the "China only Taurus" premise, as opposed to the "China first Taurus" reminds me of epicycles and deferents.

Maybe Continental is CD6 and it has an Audi/Bentley like Longitudinal FWD/AWD drivetrain. They haven't said one way or the other and the front wheel location would support either CD4 or CD6.

It doesn't make sense that a new U.S. Taurus would be as bland as those spy shots, and I'm still trying to reconcile my source that said no new U.S. Taurus. That source could be wrong and we're getting the same CD4 Taurus as China but if that were the case they should be debuting at the same time. If they don't then I'm going back to Taurus moving to CD6 or being cancelled altogether.

I don't believe that the CD6 will underpin anything other than CUVs.

And notice how bland the Fusion looks in white, when photographed by an amateur under indifferent lighting:

0.jpg

And why does it follow that the Taurus has to launch at exactly the same time in the US and China? The Focus and Fusion/Mondeo didn't launch at the same time in the US and Europe?

Edited by RichardJensen

I don't believe that the CD6 will underpin anything other than CUVs.

Why would they limit a platform like that to utilities? It's just as applicable to high performance cars. RWD/AWD might be limited to Lincolns and FWD/AWD for Fords but I don't see not using it at all for any sedans.

Because they can sell utilities for over $70k. They can't sell sedans for over $70k.

It's understood that, at present, the large sedan market is shrinking. It is also understood that the perceptual barriers to entry in the luxury large sedan market are formidable--at least at the price points of the established players.

Why, therefore, would Ford launch 100% new sheetmetal for two new large sedans (Taurus & Continental) on a heavily modified CD4 and then replace them with CD6 on a very short turnaround, or augment them with CD6?

The most comprehensive info we have on CD6 pegs it for arrival three years down the line.

It's possible that there will be sedan variants of CD6 if that's the timeline, but I can't imagine Ford launching any CD6 sedan next year--which is when the Continental & Taurus are entering production.

Nor do I imagine that the Conti is going to be the only stateside CD4.

Re: boring looks - have you seen the segment retail leader Toyota Avalon? Or runner up Buick LaCrosse? They are about as exciting looking as bars of soap. Fullsize sedan buyers like boring and predictable. The spy photo also lacks trim details like chrome... which I expect there will be lots of it on production version.

RE: China only or China first - I think I've detailed my guess on this before but it seems pretty clear to me that Taurus is going to be China first. Here are the supporting facts:

1. Ford flexed Fusion to the Mustang line (or the other way around?) at Flat Rock so half of the facility is dark right now. Total capacity at Flat Rock is 250,000 units on two shifts so each side of the plant is roughly 125,000 units. The Mustang+Fusion side is close to 125,000 max on two shifts so Continental has to go to the side that is currently empty. Let say Continental doubles MKS sales from 2014 - very ambitious but achievable - it would increase from 8,000 to be around 16,000 units annually. Add in some export sales, you are at 20,000 units max. You can't support that kind of low volume assembly in the US. It's going to be Cadillac level financial disaster if Ford tries to do Continental without Taurus - margin on Continental alone cannot support the fixed costs.

2. Now look at the picture with Taurus added to the mix... Ford sold 52k Taurus in 2014, one of the worst year due to the fact the car is old and starting to lose competitiveness. Assuming the new one will increase demand by 20%, you are 60,000 units (Ford sold 69k Taurus in 2013 so there is some more upside there). Add in some export sales to Australia, Middle East, Mexico, Canada, you have maybe 70,000 units for Taurus alone. Add in the 20,000 unit Continental we just mentioned above, and you have 90,000 units on a line that can probably do 125,000 units on two shifts. Still not great but within the envelop of fiscally sensible investment. And this gives you some extra room still to flex in another CD4 car - e.g. the Taurus sales number I used does not include Police Interceptor... :whistling:

3. Look at timing on D6... 2015 Explorer just received mid cycle update so we have 3.5 model years before the earliest possible debut of D6 Explorer in calendar year 2018. That means a potential D6 Taurus will be after 2019. If we assume new Taurus is China only, that implies that Ford will keep the existing Taurus in Chicago until that time basically unchanged since 2009 (2010 model year) - that's 10 years. It makes zero sense given Ford's relative prosperity now. :stop:

That's another possibility - ditch the Taurus completely. They could do a stretch version of the Fusion to fill the gap. That would be an interesting strategy.

But at that point, why bother developing a Taurus at all - for any market??

I mean could a stretched Fusion not work in China?

I mean could a stretched Fusion not work in China?

for all intents the Taurus is stretched Fusion...that the other thing...its basically going to be a Fusion with a V6 of some sort and extra interior room. Its not like its costing a small fortuion to develop a replacement

for all intents the Taurus is stretched Fusion...that the other thing...its basically going to be a Fusion with a V6 of some sort and extra interior room. Its not like its costing a small fortuion to develop a replacement

True....but I mean, why go through the effort of creating a completely new exterior design for it if a stretched Fusion would do? And if you're only going to sell it in one market......and then on top of that create a separate/additional new stretched Fusion for the US market? That just doesn't make sense.

True....but I mean, why go through the effort of creating a completely new exterior design for it if a stretched Fusion would do? And if you're only going to sell it in one market......and then on top of that create a separate/additional new stretched Fusion for the US market? That just doesn't make sense.

I don't know where you're at with this.

If you're arguing in favor of a distinct Taurus in both markets, I think there's a pretty compelling case.

If you start talking about a stretched Fusion for both markets, the question is how you accomplish that without doing enough of a tear up to justify a whole new shell and Taurus badging. We're not just talking about adding space in the 2nd row. This is a full-on large car: bigger trunk, wider, etc.

And if you're pointing out that it doesn't make much sense to do one thing in market and a totally different thing in another, then I agree with you.

I think you guys will find that the CD4 Taurus is both longer and wider than Fusion but I have to agree here

that maybe the styling of the large car needs to be regionally specific.

It's clear that China is taking the launch ahead of USA because most of the costs have been on that region,

and out of this, I hope that North America gets a low cost large car with its own interior styling package and

I suspect, some different external styling too.

• Like 1

I think you guys will find that the CD4 Taurus is both longer and wider than Fusion but I have to agree here

that maybe the styling of the large car needs to be regionally specific.

It's clear that China is taking the launch ahead of USA because most of the costs have been on that region,

and out of this, I hope that North America gets a low cost large car with its own interior styling package and

I suspect, some different external styling too.

I think Feilds wants a more aggressive Taurus or/and a rwd sedan. The Continental was probably too far into development for him to do something about it but caught Taurus in time after AM left or/and want Continental to be the fwd/awd cruiser while N/A Taurus will be the big rwd sport sedan .

I just find it unusual that a platform twin is kept in dark close to production. Ford is good in keeping secrets these days.

Re: boring looks - have you seen the segment retail leader Toyota Avalon? Or runner up Buick LaCrosse? They are about as exciting looking as bars of soap. Fullsize sedan buyers like boring and predictable. The spy photo also lacks trim details like chrome... which I expect there will be lots of it on production version.

Are there any large cars in the price range that are not boring. Maybe a visually attractive Taurus would attract some mid size buyers that wouldn't otherwise buy a larger car. Also it is easier to sell a more styled car to someone that doesn't care about looks as long as the other things they want are there then it is to sell a boring car to someone looking for some splash no matter how good the car is

• Like 1

I don't know where you're at with this.

If you're arguing in favor of a distinct Taurus in both markets, I think there's a pretty compelling case.

If you start talking about a stretched Fusion for both markets, the question is how you accomplish that without doing enough of a tear up to justify a whole new shell and Taurus badging. We're not just talking about adding space in the 2nd row. This is a full-on large car: bigger trunk, wider, etc.

And if you're pointing out that it doesn't make much sense to do one thing in market and a totally different thing in another, then I agree with you.

Yes. This. It doesn't make sense to take two different approaches to a full size car in two different markets. Clearly they're making Taurus for the Chinese market....so why would you consider a different approach in the US when you're already making the Taurus....why do with two products what you could do with one, especially in a small/shrinking segment (at least here).

Sorry if I'm not making sense. Been a long day of traveling almost missing my first flight, having a 2 hour layover and then having my connecting flight delayed for an hour to get a new plane after they already began the boarding process haha