More Taurus spy photos

bzcat

April 1 Inventory on Taurus is not high, only around 7,900 cars. So if Ford maintains discipline until model change

there won't be many to shift nor will there be a need for huge incentives on the last of them..

Edited by jpd80

I like the current Taurus but unless things radically change between now and then I'm not going to be in the market for a big sedan by then, TBird.

I can imagine the CD6 sedan called Fairlane (to fall in the "F" naming scheme of cars) and a restyled coupe/convertible for 4 real adults called Thunderbird.

This ofcourse may not happen but a lone rwd fullsize sedan to replace Taurus/PI more likely will happen if the CD4 Taurus won't get released here the current Taurus/PI will still stay on sale here till CD6 arrive (which is about 2-3 MYs away) .

• Like 1

Just for the record:

1. The Chinese Taurus will be flex-build with Edge in the new Hangzhou plant. So we know for sure it is not a D3. It has to be a CD4... Ford is not going to invest in a brand new assembly operation for D3 platform in China.

2. I already opined earlier in this thread that the math doesn't work for Continental as a stand alone build in North America. It has to have a volume twin in order for the assembly plant fixed costs to be amortized. Ford doesn't have any spare capacity on existing CD4 lines anywhere to add Continental so it has to be on a new line.

3. We know Ford already has an UAW agreement that will move "a Lincoln" to Flat Rock.

Hemosillo - We know it is at or near capacity right now because Ford added Flat Rock to meet Fusion demand. So Continental is not going there.

Oakville - New CD4 Edge and MKX are going to soak up all the capacity there. Continental probably won't go there.

Valencia - Busy already with Mondeo, S-Max, and Galaxy... Ford will Edge there first before they will make the Continental there

Hangzhou - I don't foreseen a scenario where Ford will export Continental from China to the US, not on this earth anyway

That leaves the empty half of Flat Rock as the only possible place to add another CD4 line.

Flat Rock - fuzzymoomoo says Fusion is flex'd with Mustang on the same side of the plant, which based on current Mustang demand, means that line is probably at capacity. If Ford is going to make Continental in Flat Rock, it won't be on the same line with Fusion and Mustang.

Ford is not going to start a new CD4 line with just 20,000 Continental sales a year. It has to be near 100,000 units to make sense.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

I don't think there is an agreement with UAW to move anything to Flat Rock yet, which is why I was speculating we won't hear anything concrete about it until September (at earliest) when the current contract expires. Everything I know about moving anything to Flat Rock is just very strong rumor at this point, and has been backed up by Robert Lane and (i think) akirby. This is the "where there's smoke, there's fire" type of rumor so keep an eye out come fall and we should have more of a solid idea of what's going on.

Same goes for the Lincoln compact sedan I've referred to here a few times. Not much rumor about it on the floor at MAP, but I've heard so much rumbling elsewhere about it, there has to be some truth to it in the next 1-2 years. Maybe around the time of the reveal of the next-gen Focus.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Hypothetical,

1. D3 Taurus and PI sedan stay at Chicago AP.

2. LWB D3s are moved from Oakville to FRAP Line 2. MKT and Flex get a styling make over,

3. Continental is an evolved MKS still on D3 but LWB like MKT and Flex

You then have three "common" vehicles being built on that side. The advantages are minimal changes to CAP

and reuse of existing D3 machinery at Line 2 FRAP, saving money is just as important as trying to earn it.

Hypothetical,

2. LWB D3s are moved from Oakville to FRAP Line 2. MKT and Flex get a styling make over,

You then have three "common" vehicles being built on that side. The advantages are minimal changes to CAP

and reuse of existing D3 machinery at Line 2 FRAP, saving money is just as important as trying to earn it.

That would make sense if the D3 wasn't so limited and out of date. I don't think Ford is going to put their new Lincoln Sedan on a 10-15 year old platform that started life as a CUV.

Do remember they did have this oddball running around

2015-lincoln-mks-spy-photo-photo-511230-

Plus the Flex and MKT aren't long for this world...I just wonder when they'll be officially killed off.

Hypothetical,

The Continental concept wasn't D3.

All the D3 products have a hump in the rear door opening:

2009_lincoln_mks_day_opendoors_1400.jpg

Ford_Flex_2013_LimitedAWD-lrqdoors.jpg

(I'd show the others but I think you get it).

The Continental concept didn't appear to have that hump:

lincoln-continental-concept-new-york-201

That would make sense if the D3 wasn't so limited and out of date. I don't think Ford is going to put their new Lincoln Sedan on a 10-15 year old platform that started life as a CUV.

That would only be true if Ford had done absolutely nothing with D3 in that ensuing time.

I'm not saying the new Continental is D3 but how can we be absolutely sure that it's in fact CD4?

What if it's something else that not CD4 or D3?

Edited by jpd80

That would only be true if Ford had done absolutely nothing with D3 in that ensuing time.

I'm not saying the new Continental is D3 but how can we be absolutely sure that it's in fact CD4?

What if it's something else that not CD4 or D3?

The only other logical assumption at this point would be CD6. Nothing else would make sense really

Especially since Ford did not want to discuss platform at this stage, clearly holding back details for now..

Not if the engines are longitudinal - now you need a transmission hump and centered driveshaft tunnel. But not a ground up redesign.

For what it's worth, there does appear to be a hump in the middle of the second row under the flow through console. Not sure if that means anything or not

For what it's worth, there does appear to be a hump in the middle of the second row under the flow through console. Not sure if that means anything or not

It's for the driveshaft for the AWD models. The hump up near the gear selector is not nearly big enough for a transmission

Not if the engines are longitudinal - now you need a transmission hump and centered driveshaft tunnel. But not a ground up redesign.

That was my point, the Firewall would have to be different to fit the transmission. Basically almost everything from the firewall back would be shared with other cars or very similar to it.

That was my point, the Firewall would have to be different to fit the transmission. Basically almost everything from the firewall back would be shared with other cars or very similar to it.

I was referring to the hump in the cabin floor behind the firewall.