Five Reasons Ford Should Bring Ranger Back to U.S.

I thought the goal was profit, not profit per unit?

It's not like ford is a premium brand.

Of course 121 billion dollars doesn't matter.

Right. In the one year within the last eight that GM out earned Ford overall, they still were less profitable per unit, despite all those high-end SUVs they've been selling.

And, like I said, please let me know what you've done to account for structural advantages provided by the economy and government of Japan.

Those who want a 'new Ranger' so bad should go look at the new Tacoma, Colorado, and whatever and see how much bigger they are these days then the good old 'Mini-Truckin' days. The ones demanding a Ranger want the 1993 size, but that isn't what's being sold across the street. And look at the MSRP too, they aren't the $15,999 special anymore.

BTW: Toyota makes $$$ from a broad range of products, not just from Tacomas. Oh, and where are all the new Tundras that were supposed to "knock off" F-150, Silverado and Ram dominance?

BTW 2: "Newly fast growing" my a%%%%%%%%%!

RAM Brand manager said it best about new Dakota, essentially "Why bother?"

I took this picture a while back but forgot to post it. Shows you the size difference between the new Colorado (or maybe that's a Canyon) and the Ranger (well, that's a Mazda B2000 or whatever it was called, but you get the point)....

89469E2F-C9DE-444C-86EF-E5F6D49A75AF_zps

• Like 2

"I want a uninbody Ranger/station wagon/EU centric car"

So, this means that all the US market should be 're-educated' so someone can get to "see" their product for sale.

Asked 'when are you buying?' A: "Oh I never buy new, I wait 10 years! Let someone else* pay that!"

*Well, the "someone elses" are NOT buying new Taurus station wagons or 1993 sized Rangers.

so whats better?....a quality piece of merchandize that can demand higher ATPS, or whoring a product out in bigger numbers....? ( PS, the second scenario comes wrought with problems as in potentially devastating recall costs and quality decline )

so whats better?....a quality piece of merchandize that can demand higher ATPS, or whoring a product out in bigger numbers....? ( PS, the second scenario comes wrought with problems as in potentially devastating recall costs and quality decline )

The irony is GM has better quality than Ford, i have never seen a misaligned bumper from the factory on a GM truck.

huh...you haven't been around a Chevy truck have you?...check out those wonderful interior door panels...class....probably don't weigh much though, the bumper issue seems to have been nipped in the bud thank god. Funny though, even with that issue I think the Ford will eventually outsell the Chevy...

And I think you have way undershot the cost delta of a diesel Tacoma... Toyota doesn't sell any diesel in the US so this would be a major investment for the company. Starting with supply chain, and all the way down to certification issues, which most likely will be problematic because no one at Toyota USA will know a thing about how to manage the EPA process for diesel. There are no suitable automatic transmission in the Toyota inventory, no urea injection parts to raid. Everything will be starting from scratch and they will need to hire a full team of engineers. Toyota will be losing money like crazy if it only charges $3,000 for a diesel engine option on Tacoma.

Hino division of Toyota sells US EPA certified Class 4-5-6-7 diesel trucks. Toyota does have some experience with US EPA certification for diesels. But I can see where you're coming from, from what I can see Toyota doesn't sell any clean diesel (Euro 6 or equivalent standard) light duty or passenger vehicles anywhere in the world and right now they're playing catch up.

Maybe once the Japanese mfgs are all making Euro 6 diesels, we'll see some entering the US light duty market.

Per unit?

No.

And did Ford have any production lost in 2014 due to new product launches?

Did Ford have any significant expenses in 2014 associated with overhauling assembly plants?

As we per unit profit is the #1 reflection of financial performance outside of total profit............ right?

then why is everyone saying that Ford pick up outselling GM pickups like it really matters?

yep, Im sitting here crying, as are Ford Brass, because being number 1 is the ONLY goal, and we can get there by watering down any form of excitement and making nothing more than vanilla appliances right?....yeah baby!

I thought the goal was long term profitability, not ranks or titles?

Edited by J-150
  • Like 1

As we per unit profit

Please explain how GM outearning Ford for one year in eight proves that Ford has not *consistently* outearned GM.

Once you have established that my earlier statement is incorrect,we can discuss the conclusions that you are trying to make here.

Edited by RichardJensen

Please explain how GM outearning Ford for one year in eight proves that Ford has not *consistently* outearned GM.

Once you have established that my earlier statement is incorrect,we can discuss the conclusions that you are trying to make here.

Simultaneously explain how ford outearning gm matters and Toyota out earning ford doesn't matter.

Simultaneously explain how ford outearning gm matters and Toyota out earning ford doesn't matter.

Your arguments lately have been that GM is pursuing a better business strategy than Ford. You have frequently complained about the aluminum F150, and you have celebrated GM's launch of midsize trucks. You also pointed out on this very thread that GM's GMT SUVs are further bolstering their profitability and, presumably, are another indication of GM managing their business better.

I have pointed out that last year was the first time that GM has out-earned Ford in absolute numbers since 2006, and that even after that, Ford's margins are still higher than GM's which essentially puts paid to the idea that GM is doing a better job managing their business. For two companies that are as similar as Ford and GM, comparison of net margin is absolutely justified. We're not comparing the net margin per unit of BMW vs. GM. We're talking about companies that have incredibly similar product ranges.

Essentially, your argument that GM has made better decisions is not supported by evidence.

--

And Toyota's profitability is just goal-post moving on your part. You can't support your claims that GM is better managed by hard evidence so you bring up Toyota.

Edited by RichardJensen

I'm waiting to see how this goes with the canyonado. The "business case" types here may not want to believe it, but what if GM's gamble on the midsize segment actually pays off? Again, it's too early to know for sure, but GM's new trucklings are showing positive signs, all without appearing to do significant damage to 1/2 ton sales.

If the trend keeps up, we may just see a new Ranger after all. If Ford can do it at a profit, it's a plus all around. More choice for buyers, helps cafe, and more sales/profit for Ford. I just can't see Ford ignoring any part of the light truck market for long if there's any profit in it at all. Ford is known for trucks after all.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

At this point, the 'positive signs' are as ambiguous as evidence that they are not 'appearing to do significant damage to 1/2 ton sales'

And, again, from a business case you have to realize that GM stopped building vans in order to build these midsizers. So from a plant utilization perspective, or a 'business case', you have to ask whether these midsizers are a better use of capacity than the Transit.

Given the sales of each, and the likely margin on the Transit, I think Ford is not regretting their decision.

Edited by RichardJensen

You also have to add in the political aspect when these were added to the line as well, GM was in bankruptcy and needed to secure votes for $$$, closing plants doesn't gain you political will. Look at Janesville it is still "mothballed" GM just needed these to break even to keep people employed; that was the business case. It wasn't for these trucks,in a new market it was to keep the lights on at the company.