2016 Taurus (China)

We will get this Taurus and I think that our Taurus will look the same as the China version. I do think if it was just being introduced here and there was no China market it might have looked a little different as I think China sales were a big influence on the design as they will probably sell more there then here. I would think if it was styled more for here they would loose more China sales then they will loose U.S. sales with the way it looks now.

There is a lot of talk about FRAP getting the Continental next year but not a peep about Taurus. I still think my insider was right and we aren't getting a new Taurus.

I've talked to people at FRAP who have said that Taurus is part of the plan with Continental. I'm sure we will know for sure in the next 6-8 mknths

I think akirby may be right, because we would have heard or seen something by now about a this Taurus in our future here in the U.S. There's already "pretty much finished" Continentals running around Dearborn right now. Good article for info, pay attention to the last section in it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-lincoln-continental-spied-it-really-is-happening-future-cars

"It looks like a Fusion..." is becoming a catch cry for those not convinced that people will buy it.

Ford is hoping it will sell quite easily for the very reasons Fusion does, the styling has broad appeal.

Wait until we see it in the flesh, I'm betting it has more presence in the showroom next to Fusion

One drive with the 2.7 Ecoboost will convince most that this is the "gotta have" of affordable large cars.

Edited by jpd80

It makes almost no sense to build the Continental alone on its own production line in Flat Rock, when MKS sold only about 88K cars over the past six years! The Taurus is averaging about ~60-65k year since its restyling in 2010. I'd be very surprised if the new Continental sold 10K units a year

Let's do some math...right now the Taurus/PI and MKS are using up about ~70K of production at Chicago. Since the new Explorer has come out, sales have increased from 135K sales to nearly 210K sales with PIU sales factored in. It make more sense to get rid of the Taurus (outside of the 10K or so PI they sell a year) and free up production for more Explorers/PIUs and when the new Explorer comes out, a Lincoln variant down the road.

Having the Taurus/Continental/Mustang/Fusion overflow production at Flat Rock makes it a very busy place and when Mustang sales start to soften after a few years, a redesigned Fusion could take up the slack on that line.

It makes almost no sense to build the Continental alone on its own production line in Flat Rock, when MKS sold only about 88K cars over the past six years! The Taurus is averaging about ~60-65k year since its restyling in 2010. I'd be very surprised if the new Continental sold 10K units a year

Let's do some math...right now the Taurus/PI and MKS are using up about ~70K of production at Chicago. Since the new Explorer has come out, sales have increased from 135K sales to nearly 210K sales with PIU sales factored in. It make more sense to get rid of the Taurus (outside of the 10K or so PI they sell a year) and free up production for more Explorers/PIUs and when the new Explorer comes out, a Lincoln variant down the road.

Having the Taurus/Continental/Mustang/Fusion overflow production at Flat Rock makes it a very busy place and when Mustang sales start to soften after a few years, a redesigned Fusion could take up the slack on that line.

Now would probably be a good time to admit I was wrong about the whole "second line" thing, and the plan is indeed to build all 3 or 4 on the same line. Why else would Continental be built in CD4 other than CD6 not being ready yet?

I have a feeling that CD6 superceded CD4 after Taurus/Continental were committed and they're needed for China so they didn't want to delay them for CD6. Doesn't make sense to have two CD platforms going forward.

Also - Lincoln needs Continental in the U.S. now. Taurus - not so much especially since the new styling isn't a significant upgrade over the old one and volumes are relatively low either way. So keeping the current Taurus for 2-3 more years isn't really a problem.

Edited by akirby

This reminds me a bit of what VW has done lately, which is simplify the styling one step too far. I like it (but I also like the basic styling of the latest VWs as well), but I can see where many would find this pretty bland. I also realize that this (possibly) is not for US consumption.

I am car.

2016-ford-taurus-shows-up-in-shanghai-wi

vegritsmm2mwydvn4lpc.jpg

OK, those two pics don't even look like the same car! Amazing what a difference camera angle (and I'm sure a little 'playing' with the pic) makes. The top one looks blah and the bottom one is gorgeous!

I have a feeling that CD6 superceded CD4 after Taurus/Continental were committed and they're needed for China so they didn't want to delay them for CD6. Doesn't make sense to have two CD platforms going forward.

Also - Lincoln needs Continental in the U.S. now. Taurus - not so much especially since the new styling isn't a significant upgrade over the old one and volumes are relatively low either way. So keeping the current Taurus for 2-3 more years isn't really a problem.

So basically your saying it doesn't matter if Ford lets the Taurus rot on the vine...um Ok...

Still makes no sense to spend all this money on a Chinese Taurus and the Continental just to replace them 2-3 years down the road with the mythical CD6 based product.

I don't see how replacing a car in the US that barely sells 6K units a year is more important then letting a product rot on the vine that has already lost 10K sales from 2013 to 2014 and will continue to bleed off sales till its updated.

OK, those two pics don't even look like the same car! Amazing what a difference camera angle (and I'm sure a little 'playing' with the pic) makes. The top one looks blah and the bottom one is gorgeous!

Ther problem is prospective...you normally don't look at a car at the same height as a squirrel does! LOL

3 reasons:

1. China

2. China

3. China

And how many Tauri do the expect to sell there? Seems downright stupid and go against everything Ford has been doing for the past 5 years to have two different products sold on two different Continents, when it would make so much more sense to share them, esp when the NA product is in dire need of updating.

Still make no sense just to have Continental build in the US at maybe 8K (if they are lucky) cars a year...thus reinforcing the need for a new Taurus.

So basically your saying it doesn't matter if Ford lets the Taurus rot on the vine...um Ok...

Not rot on the vine - just delay a new U.S. version for 2-3 years. I don't see the new design increasing Taurus sales very much if any over the current model. Nor do I see keeping the current model dropping sales significantly over the next 2-3 years.

According to research firm IHS Automotive, China's market for large sedans has overtaken the United States, with sales of around 4 million last year, topping the 3.6 million sold in the U.S. By 2020, IHS expects that gap to have widened to 5.3 million large sedans in China and 3.7 million in the U.S.

Again - it's simply timing. I think Continental and Taurus were developed before CD6 with China as the primary market, not NA. And Lincoln needs something new now to continue the revamp.

Long term they'll all be CD6 I believe including the midsized utilities. And if the CD6 rumors of supporting both FWD and RWD then maybe Continental/Taurus represent the FWD version of CD6.

Anybody remember this thread? :

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57441-lincoln-boss-two-new-models-coming-not-updated-versions-of-current-models/

2 models a supposed to be added to Lincoln not replacements to the current ones.

A true MKS/Town Car replacement is probably on CD6 and would be built in Chicago while Continental only will be built in Michigan and the other lwb CD4s are built in Asia.

Not rot on the vine - just delay a new U.S. version for 2-3 years. I don't see the new design increasing Taurus sales very much if any over the current model. Nor do I see keeping the current model dropping sales significantly over the next 2-3 years.

The Taurus already experienced a 10K loss in sales from 2013 to 2014 and going on the first 3 months of sales its down another (8K vs 12K) 33% from last year!

Edited by silvrsvt