Ford Motor Company April 2015 Sales Results

Anthony

Chinese Taurus will provide plenty of platform volume.

To do what? Amortize stamping? No. Body shop costs? No.

The big dollar first unit costs are assembly site specific and capitalized. The time engineers spend doing R&D work is not. Building the Taurus in China barely moves the meter when it comes to making a US built Continental a paying proposition.

And what makes you think a new one would change that? Impala is relatively new and it's also down.

Are Impala's sales down because of a drop in popularity of the "old" one or the "new" one? GM isn't providing a breakdown of sales for each version, from what I've seen.

Because the full size car market is shrinking so much, you could hypothetically consolidate Lincoln's car lineup. Think of it as addition by subtraction.

You can always reexpand the lineup later

Eh, I don't see that happening.

Reality is 'big cars' are old school and fading away in the US. Those that want 'size and room' will get a truck/SUV. And if they have the bucks, they will get a lux make 'flagship'. Just as Station Wagons, compact trucks, and big coupes are going/gone, so will base line Yank Tanks.

Can complain, write endless posts, and claim that "if only they would advertise them!", but times change and buyers want different products than last Century. Why "force" something that only a few want "to see for sale" and not paying customers?

Edited by 630land

To back up your point, Impala is down 21%, 300 is down 21% and charger is up 12% (I'm guessing a decent chunk of that is cop cars). It's a shrinking segment and it wouldn't surprise me if Ford abandoned it for the more profitable Fusion. mid-size is the new full-size.

Kinda makes me wonder if Continental is replacing both the MKS and MKZ and stays midsize.

I'm also curious to se Toyota's numbers for Avalon for further comparison.

Toyota Avalon sold 4590 units in April/2015 compared to 5807 units in April/2014.

GM doesn't report them separately, true. But either way they aren't selling

General Motors does not break out separate sales figures for the Impala and the Impala Limited in its monthly sales releases, but according to data provided by Chevrolet, rental sales account for 23 percent of new Impala volume and 80 percent of Impala Limited volume. Wow!

Edited by bdegrand

Unless you're Lincoln or Cadillac

There's no incentive to buy a full size Lincoln or Cadillac.

I'm curious to see Ford try to do the "Rolls Royce at half the price" approach with the Continental. By redefining the terms of the competition into luxury over performance, Ford can, perhaps, get traction with the Conti.

General Motors does not break out separate sales figures for the Impala and the Impala Limited in its monthly sales releases, but according to data provided by Chevrolet, rental/fleet sales account for 23 percent of new Impala volume and 80 percent of Impala Limited volume. Wow!

What?

Rental/fleet should be 100% of the Impala limited! What dealer has these things on the showroom floor/lot?

General Motors does not break out separate sales figures for the Impala and the Impala Limited in its monthly sales releases, but according to data provided by Chevrolet, rental/fleet sales account for 23 percent of new Impala volume and 80 percent of Impala Limited volume. Wow!

They're still selling Impala Limited (really that's what they call it?) to retail customers? SMH

There's no incentive to buy a full size Lincoln or Cadillac.

I'm curious to see Ford try to do the "Rolls Royce at half the price" approach with the Continental. By redefining the terms of the competition into luxury over performance, Ford can, perhaps, get traction with the Conti.

How many people who buy a Rolls really buy it for the performance or luxury as opposed to the name?

Not saying Lincoln is anywhere near that level (or ever really will be) of being bought just because it's a Lincoln ever again (I'm too young to remember it but I'm pretty sure there was a time when that was the case) but I am curious to see where they take the brand.

What?

Rental/fleet should be 100% of the Impala limited! What dealer has these things on the showroom floor/lot?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/14/upshot/you-can-rent-whatever-you-want-as-long-as-its-an-impala.html?referrer=

I assume the 'other than non-rental/20%' is fleet. You are right, none of the older model is retail. It's probably too embarrassing for Chevy to break out the actual retail sales of the New Consumer Reports' Favorite Child Impala.

Edited by bdegrand

Focus only down 5%. Cheap gas, go figure.

BTW: Maybe a Fusion PI in the future for light duty patrols?

Ford sells FWD 2.0Ecoboost non-pursuit rated PI call SSP

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2015/2015_SSP_Hero_Card.pdf

Or if place large enough order, Ford can deliver custom Fusion hybrid with police prep package

10784756303_9ddb6f722e_c.jpg

Ford F-Series retail sales up 8 percent; EcoBoost™ V6 engines represent record 63 percent of 2015 F-150 retail sales, while premium Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum models are 60 percent of retail sales

Imagine the profit margin on those Platinum models :spend:

Edited by bzcat