New F-150 bases performance truck rendered

During the GT's unveiling, the Ford executive or was it the lead engineer stated that they needed to amortize the cost of the 7-speed DCT in the GT as well. I wonder if we'll see that in something like a GT500, GT350R or whatever.

During the GT's unveiling, the Ford executive or was it the lead engineer stated that they needed to amortize the cost of the 7-speed DCT in the GT as well. I wonder if we'll see that in something like a GT500, GT350R or whatever.

Aren't they outsourcing that DCT? Do you really need to amortize it if you outsource it?

Oh, and that tranny won't be in an F150.

Edited by fordmantpw

Odd, I thought my post went through earlier today..

There is a "lightning" version of the F150 with the 5.2 flat plane crank motor from the GT350 running around Dearborn..

Of course there is... Even if Ford has no intention of producing such a thing, you know those guys couldn't possibly resist an engine swap that easy.

• Like 1

just because it exists in prototype form doesnt mean its being tested as a future product

perfect example - when the '05 Mustang was being prototyped, my rowing coach in High School had a Lincoln LS with the front clip of the then new mustang on it (it was camod heavily but it was damn obvious what it was). I'm sure if the magazines had caught photos of it, speculation of a Mustang based Lincoln would have run rampant.

just because it exists in prototype form doesnt mean its being tested as a future product

perfect example - when the '05 Mustang was being prototyped, my rowing coach in High School had a Lincoln LS with the front clip of the then new mustang on it (it was camod heavily but it was damn obvious what it was). I'm sure if the magazines had caught photos of it, speculation of a Mustang based Lincoln would have run rampant.

It did...matter of fact many bits of the LS platform was used in the D2C/S197 Mustang in 2005. I'm wondering if the T-bird is more direct descendant of the Mustang, since it was 2 door and not a 4 door like the LS.

Man you are young and making me feel old...but i'm only just over 40 :p

https://books.google.com/books?id=Xil7gxb6ECoC&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=lincoln+ls+mustang+platform&source=bl&ots=_Gp6cp2Gzy&sig=L45JwVAQQC-ERrSTus9PMc50ejI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9lRJVaLEE7f7sATRhYCICQ&ved=0CDkQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=lincoln%20ls%20mustang%20platform&f=false

Edited by silvrsvt

It did...matter of fact many bits of the LS platform was used in the D2C/S197 Mustang in 2005. I'm wondering if the T-bird is more direct descendant of the Mustang, since it was 2 door and not a 4 door like the LS.

Man you are young and making me feel old...but i'm only just over 40 :p

https://books.google.com/books?id=Xil7gxb6ECoC&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=lincoln+ls+mustang+platform&source=bl&ots=_Gp6cp2Gzy&sig=L45JwVAQQC-ERrSTus9PMc50ejI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9lRJVaLEE7f7sATRhYCICQ&ved=0CDkQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=lincoln%20ls%20mustang%20platform&f=false

Its no secret that the two shared suspension parts, but the testing of the mustang clip on the LS to most might seem like its an indication that they were working on a lincoln version of the mustang, and I don't remember too much of that back then. I was a subscriber to both MT and C&D at the time and I don't remember reading any kind of rumor like that. I hear more whispers and rumors now 10 years later than I did then.

You know how the mags and bloggers love to read more into that kind of thing than whats really there.

IMO the t-bird is pure LS. Everything from suspension down to modules is the same as t-bird. Truthfully it is very hard to tell that the DEW98 and D2C are even cousins. Other than the saddle fuel tank, they look nothing alike underneath. Plus mustang owners be happy that Ford didn't use LS suspension components. The cost of replacement parts will make you cringe.

That's the truth. My wife got in a minor accident in her LS that bent the upper rear control arm. The after market doesn't make that piece and Ford was quite proud of it. I ended up getting a junkyard part and it's good for now. However, the ball joints are cast into the control arm and can't be replaced separately so I'm gonna have to drop the better part of $1000 just on parts to replace all the ball joints sooner or later. I'll probably sell the car before they get that bad.

I did learn my lesson though. From now on I don't buy a model that wasn't sold by the millions.

A new Lightning with either the GT's 3.5L EcoBoost or the GT350's 5.2L V8 would be okay with me. I just want a SuperCrew option so I can replace my wife's Expedition with it. ;)

A Raptor AND a Lightning? You'd be the envy of many Ford truck fans (including me!) :)

• Like 1

A Raptor AND a Lightning? You'd be the envy of many Ford truck fans (including me!) :)

It probably won't happen, but it would be nice if it did. I am still on the lookout for a black 93-95 Lightning to get for my son (he turns 16 in October). All I can find are ones that are too nice for a lot of money or really ragged out with 200,000 or more miles.

• Like 2

It probably won't happen, but it would be nice if it did. I am still on the lookout for a black 93-95 Lightning to get for my son (he turns 16 in October). All I can find are ones that are too nice for a lot of money or really ragged out with 200,000 or more miles.

What 16 year old wouldn't love a Lightning to drive? That would be awesome!

• Like 1

I don't think the FPC V8 has enough low-end torque for Lightening-duty. In the GT350, it'll make no more than 420lb-ft @ 4500 RPMs which is a far cry from the last trucks 450lb-ft at a much lower RPM. The FPC is a race engine favored by high RPMs that's demanded by circuit racing... Lightening needs low-end torque from the street where it will spend the mass majority of it's life and where the Ecoboost can be most appreciated.

My guess is an Ecoboost 3.5L that bridges the gap between the GT and the Raptor. 500hp/500lb-ft torque.