Jeep planning larger SUV over Grand Wagoneer

silvrsvt

A $100k Jeep? Whoa....

Why not? Escalades already are up there. Jeep already has the cache as "the SUV" to have and you can currently option the SRT Grand Cherokee upwards of $80k as well. It isn't much of a jump, especially for a fullsizer.

Edit: contrary to thread title, the article doesn't state it will be larger then the Grand Wagoneer, but simply positioned above it. It very well could similar to the LR4 vs Range Rover. Similar sizes, but the Range Rover starts @$30k more.

Edited by Intrepidatious

If I'm Sergio, I am not thinking larger, but definitely more expensive. Armchair CEO time... :future:

I think Jeep can sustain up to $70~80k in MSRP. Beyond that, it's difficult. There is a reason why Land Rover created the Range Rover sub-brand to sell the expensive models. Jeep is FCA's volume brand in North America - it sells more Jeep than any other brand, so Jeep is FCA's "meat and potatoes" brand. Jeep to FCA is Chevy to GM, or Ford to Ford. If Sergio pushes Jeep too far up market (let say over $100k), it will create brand schizophrenia (i.e. see VW Phaeton).

Currently, Jeep is leaving a lot of money on the table by not having something like Ford truck's Platinum trim level or GMC's Denali sub-brand. FCA can easily push Grand Cherokee ATP up $10k by adding a new top trim level and eliminating the cheap Laredo trim level. Jeep customers prefer the Limited trim level, which used to be the top model, but is now mid-level... make that the base model.

Adding Grand Wagoneer is a good move. Maybe do a LWB version as well but I don't see any need for an entirely new larger model beyond that. What Jeep really needs is something like Range Rover or Denali... a sub-brand that can easily juice up the profit margin on existing vehicles.

If I'm Sergio, I am not thinking larger, but definitely more expensive. Armchair CEO time... :future:

I think Jeep can sustain up to $70~80k in MSRP. Beyond that, it's difficult. There is a reason why Land Rover created the Range Rover sub-brand to sell the expensive models. Jeep is FCA's volume brand in North America - it sells more Jeep than any other brand, so Jeep is FCA's "meat and potatoes" brand. Jeep to FCA is Chevy to GM, or Ford to Ford. If Sergio pushes Jeep too far up market (let say over $100k), it will create brand schizophrenia (i.e. see VW Phaeton).

Currently, Jeep is leaving a lot of money on the table by not having something like Ford truck's Platinum trim level or GMC's Denali sub-brand. FCA can easily push Grand Cherokee ATP up $10k by adding a new top trim level and eliminating the cheap Laredo trim level. Jeep customers prefer the Limited trim level, which used to be the top model, but is now mid-level... make that the base model.

Adding Grand Wagoneer is a good move. Maybe do a LWB version as well but I don't see any need for an entirely new larger model beyond that. What Jeep really needs is something like Range Rover or Denali... a sub-brand that can easily juice up the profit margin on existing vehicles.

We posted at the same time (well, you posted, I edited)....but I've got a feeling that's exactly what they are doing.

Edit: contrary to thread title, the article doesn't state it will be larger then the Grand Wagoneer, but simply positioned above it. It very well could similar to the LR4 vs Range Rover. Similar sizes, but the Range Rover starts @$30k more.

“When I see a Range Rover on the street, my blood boils, because we should be able

to do a thing like that—and we will,” Marchionne told Bloomberg, adding that work on

the vehicle had already started.

Marchionne went on to explain that he didn’t mention the new luxury SUV in FCA’s

five-year strategy announcement for Jeep made last year because he didn’t want

to show his hand too soon.

Jeep has never really offered a luxury SUV but the brand name is well recognized,

perhaps more so than some of its rivals in emerging markets. This provides FCA

with an opportunity to introduce a high-end Jeep even though it’s not a category

one would expect to see the brand compete in.

How many people would actually associate Jeep with a Luxury SUV offering?

IMO, thos is just Sergio's huberis getting in the way of Jeep doing what it does so well,

knowing what its buyers want and giving it to them, a luxury verion of Grand Cherokee

is probably all that's really needed.

Unless FCA has something already designed now and ready to go,

they might miss a great window to exploit low fuel prices.

Long term, would buyers still purchase a large luxury Jeep regardless of fuel prices?

Maybe a home for that 5.0 V8 Cummins engine FCA was looking at for the Ram...

Edited by jpd80

No, I dot think so. I think the Durango is only one size. But yeah, I thought it was paired with the GC (but yes a longer wheel base than the GC).

So is Citadel a trim level then? I thought it was an extended version

Stupid name for a trim level if that is what it is.

No, I dot think so. I think the Durango is only one size. But yeah, I thought it was paired with the GC (but yes a longer wheel base than the GC).

A longer wheelbase version of GC based on Durango underpinnings is probably quite achievable and would probably end up

improving GC's overall sales by offering all trim levels in LWB as well as the high series. Better than just focusing on Range Rover..

"CITADEL: It rides like a pile of rocks"

BTW: I'll be sorely disappointed if the Durango and Grand Wagoneer are not produced at the same time because I really want to refer to them as the Grand Durangoneer. Just because, well, it's pretty self-explanatory why that would be fun.

• Like 2

As far as I know, yes, it's a trim level (and Au believe the top one?. Though admittedly, I'm not overly familiar with their trim names.