GM's Camaro Performance Figures Released

30 OTT 6

MT's instruments pulled a 5.6s 0-60 w/the EB 2.3, Autoblog clocked 5.1s w/the EB 2.3, which are comparable w/the GM V6.

So I don't think the Mustang's going to have "too hard a time" over the next few years. The Camaro is not a transformational car.

4.0 is for the 8 speed auto. 4.3 for the manual. GT/ manual is in that area depending on who tested it.

If the mustang gets the 10 speed auto it'll probably be close also.

Edited by MY93SHO

MT's instruments pulled a 5.6s 0-60 w/the EB 2.3, Autoblog clocked 5.1s w/the EB 2.3, which are comparable w/the GM V6.

So I don't think the Mustang's going to have "too hard a time" over the next few years. The Camaro is not a transformational car.

Yeah, too many variables unless the cars are run under the same conditions on the same day and with same test equipment.

The Mustangs may be closer than seems at first glance, especially if the refresh includes some more weight reduction

to counter the new Camaro's advantage...

On any given day with any given driver and any given car performance results will vary. Besides, no one is probably going to buy a Camaro or a Mustang based solely on performance.

It will be interesting to see the sales results though because that's what really matters.

• Like 1

On any given day with any given driver and any given car performance results will vary. Besides, no one is probably going to buy a Camaro or a Mustang based solely on performance.

It will be interesting to see the sales results though because that's what really matters.

Agreed. If you want a Mustang, you're not going to the Camaro or Challenger because they might be 1/10 faster on paper.

In the 1990's the Mustang was slower then the F-body twins, but yet still outsold it.

Not sure what happened with the past couple years with the Camaro outselling the Mustang, but I'm attributing that partly to pent up demand from it being out of production for so long.

My understanding of the Mustang success of the late 80s and early 90s is the volume was being driven by the LX 4 cyl. as a sporty economy car.

It appears the new Camaro will have more interior options and the convertible operation is a step up from the Mustang.

I was hoping to buy a Mustang this year.. instead, we ordered a new truck this month.

Looking forward to the Mustang vs Camaro testing.

Congrats on the new truck. I see it in your sig, but what's the specs?

I think it's safe to say that brand, price and styling have a much more significant effect on sales than a few tenths of a second on a racetrack. Attempts to one up the other in raw performance is just ego and bragging rights, not actual sales results.

Mind you, that 6.2 DI and 8-speed auto power train is a mighty slick unit. Any car that claims 12flat for the quarter for that price is good value.

While the 5.0 in the heavier Mustang would struggle to equal that performance, I have a hunch that aside from GT350, Ford could do something

interesting with the next gen 3.5 Ecoboost at the right price to level the scores in terms of weight and performance.....

Mind you, that 6.2 DI and 8-speed auto power train is a mighty slick unit. Any car that claims 12flat for the quarter for that price is good value.

While the 5.0 in the heavier Mustang would struggle to equal that performance, I have a hunch that aside from GT350, Ford could do something

interesting with the next gen 3.5 Ecoboost at the right price to level the scores in terms of weight and performance.....

Perhaps a lighter Mustang with a new transmission could level the field.