Hyundai's Genesis becomes a sub-brand

Anthony

I felt Hyundai should have done this when the car was first introduced, because few people were going to pay the higher transaction prices for a Hyundai no matter how good the car was. 85% of the ones I have seen have all the Hyundai emblems taken off of them by the dealer, and replaced with non descript badges anyway.

1996_chevrolet_lumina-minivan_passenger-

Back in the day we called them the Lumina "All Plastic Vehicle"--we couldn't have been the only ones.

BTW: Why not grab a pic of the really spacey model, the one with the Olds Cutlass Supreme headlights, not the one with the Pontiac Bonneville headlights?

used_1991_chevrolet_lumina_apv_3dr_van_c

Edited by RichardJensen

Back in the day we called them the Lumina "All Plastic Vehicle"--we couldn't have been the only ones.

BTW: Why not grab a pic of the really spacey model, the one with the Olds Cutlass Supreme headlights, not the one with the Pontiac Bonneville headlights?

used_1991_chevrolet_lumina_apv_3dr_van_c

I grabbed the least obnoxious image size Google would give me. ;)

Don't get me wrong though.. my childhood best friend's mom had a 1st gen Olds Silhouette and we thought we were cruising in a damn spaceship.

They owned one of the original Dairy Queen franchises from 1950 about 45 minutes from home. It had been in their family since it opened, and there was a family home on the same lot as the walk-up restaurant. His mom would pick us up from school on Friday in the Olds, we'd sit in the 3rd row and fold the middle row up towards the front. We'd "work" at the DQ that night, stay the night at his Grandma's house, "work" again on Saturday, and ride back home in the van, $100 cash richer. Not a bad gig for a 6th grader. All the free food and ice cream we wanted to boot...

Edited to clarify that we were working in the ice cream shop and not being trafficked as child prostitutes.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

I felt Hyundai should have done this when the car was first introduced, because few people were going to pay the higher transaction prices for a Hyundai no matter how good the car was. 85% of the ones I have seen have all the Hyundai emblems taken off of them by the dealer, and replaced with non descript badges anyway.

I think Hyundai actually did their own debadging at the factory.

Don't forget their previous sit-on-top-of-the-engine model:

3444077822_3fbcd56dd4.jpg

People we knew had one of those. The dad was like five foot tall. Watching him get into it was like watching a baby trying to climb out of a crib.

This also has to be one of the worst possible vehicles to be in a crash with. Your legs are ahead of the front wheels!

Don't forget their previous sit-on-top-of-the-engine model:

3444077822_3fbcd56dd4.jpg

People we knew had one of those. The dad was like five foot tall. Watching him get into it was like watching a baby trying to climb out of a crib.

We had one of the Nissan vans like this when I was a kid, in a similar blue-gray color. Dad was in prison for embezzling $1.8M and mom was working 2 jobs while raising the 3 of us and living uncomfortably with her in laws. The number of times that POS van broke down during our Sunday trips (in Church clothes!) to London Correctional to visit dad was crazy. My grandpa bought her a new Accord around year 3 of a 4-7 year sentence. It was all uphill from there.

Ever sit back and realize your life could be a country song?

• Like 3

We had one of the Nissan vans like this when I was a kid, in a similar blue-gray color. Dad was in prison for embezzling $1.8M and mom was working 2 jobs while raising the 3 of us and living uncomfortably with her in laws. The number of times that POS van broke down during our Sunday trips (in Church clothes!) to London Correctional to visit dad was crazy. My grandpa bought her a new Accord around year 3 of a 4-7 year sentence. It was all uphill from there.

Wait.....Wut?

Well, you covered trucks (vans), prison, and momma. Just need something about getting drunk. At least you guys didn't get run over by a damned old train.

Seriously, though, dang! I never would have guessed. Kudos to your mom...she must be one helluva woman!

Wait.....Wut?

I'm line an onion, Anthony. Lots of layers.

Well, you covered trucks (vans), prison, and momma. Just need something about getting drunk. At least you guys didn't get run over by a damned old train.

Seriously, though, dang! I never would have guessed. Kudos to your mom...she must be one helluva woman!

I'm convinced that the only reason the 3 of us manged to become somewhat productive members of society (the jury is still out on my brother) is that my mom showed just enough crazy during that awful stretch to make you not one to be the one to finally push her over the edge.

My mom was loyal to a fault to my dad... Stuck by him through the whole mess. He came home when I was in 4th grade. He immediately got a really good job running a construction company owned by longtime friends from our church, built a really nice house for us, bought out the construction company, and got us right back into a really nice lifestyle. My junior year in high school he tanked the company, left us all for his secretary, then took off for a new job in Philly when things with her didn't pan out. My mom got to stay in the house for 5 more years until my dad's family, who apparently legally owned the house all along, kicked her out. It sat empty until my wife and I bought it about 5 years ago.

How did this turn into talk of old minivans? Way off topic!

Genesis sedan / Coupe vs. Lumina sedan / van: Products that share a platform and little else forced to share a name.

To some younger buyers, Hyundai is equal to Toyota, and do not remember the 80's Excels. So, they won't care.

I don't know, could Toyota or Honda sell products like Genesis and Equus under their volume brands? Genesis as a sub-brand has been a no brainer from the start. I'd love to know why they took so long to decide to finally pull the trigger. The rumors have been swirling for years.

• Like 1

This thing?

CC-15-038-800.jpg

Yep... the "Nissan Van" C22. My grandpa replaced it for her right before Nissan had to buy them all back because of the persistent engine fires. Ours was a shitheap, but it never tried to BBQ us. The carpeted "bump" between the front seats that sloped down towards the 2nd row got ***hot*** after a while. Like, too hot to touch at times.

IIRC, Nissan had to crush all the ones they were able to buy back. They're unicorns today... I can't remember the last time I saw one.