Ford-UAW deal passes by narrow margin

Detroitnews.com

The deal was passed by a slim 51.4 percent margin, the union said late Friday. Roughly 51.3 percent of production workers voted for the deal, while 52.4 percent skilled trades said “yes.”

“There is no higher authority than the membership,” UAW President Jimmy Settles said. “Through a fair and democratic process, UAW-Ford members have delivered job security and strong economic gains for their families and communities.”

“We are pleased,” John Fleming, Ford’s executive vice president for global manufacturing and labor affairs, said in a statement. “This agreement provides a good foundation for Ford Motor Company, our employees and our communities as we work together to create an even stronger business in the years ahead.”

The deal gives all workers significant raises. It includes $9 billion in plant investments, more than General Motors Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles combined. And it creates or retains 8,500 jobs. Workers would received $10,000 bonuses, and retirees would get $1,000 total over the course of the four-year pact.

But some workers wanted more.

Many believe the eight-year progression to top wages should have been shorter and felt retirees deserved more.

They wanted back all the concessions they had given during the economic downturn when the automakers were struggling for survival.

“Why can’t we get back to the pay and benefits we used to have? Don’t tell us the company can’t afford it,” said Gary Walkowicz, a bargaining committee member from Local 600 in Dearborn, who has openly opposed the deal.

Glad to see this. Sure, I would have liked to see the workers get more but I always want to see the workers get more, and at least now Ford has a good deal and a good product plan locked in for awhile. Plus, Ranger/Bronco.

I think the UAW leadership need to take a long hard look at the narrow passage of this deal & the failure of the first Chrysler deal, and consider the extent to which they're disconnected from the rank & file.

While Union leadership can become dangerously out of synch with its membership (or different levels of leadership can get out of synch, as happened during the recent Boeing negotiations in WA) I don't think the situation here is really that bad. Negotiations and collective bargaining are always going to be somewhat messy and despite one rejected deal it still looks like this round is likely to produce three agreements in a reasonable amount of time with no work disruptions. That's a pretty good outcome.
  • Like 1

three agreements in a reasonable amount of time with no work disruptions. That's a pretty good outcome.

When you consider that work disruptions haven't been a 'normal' part of UAW negotiations for over three decades, and that the Ford vote came two months after the previous contract ended, I don't think you've got a 'pretty good' outcome (that a significant factor in this delay was the failure of the first Chrysler deal supports my argument that UAW execs are out of touch)

I admire your sentiment, but I don't think it's applicable in this instance. The 2011 contract was ratified in early October, by 63% of the membership, the 2007 contract was ratified on Nov. 15 by 79%, The 2003 contract on September 30th (can't find the percentage), etc.

I don't think the UAW should be celebrating a contract that was ratified by this margin on this date. I mean, it's a good thing they finished it, but I think the rank and file is as irritated with the negotiators as they've been in years.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

I don't think the UAW should be celebrating a contract that was ratified by this margin on this date. I mean, it's a good thing they finished it, but I think the rank and file is as irritated with the negotiators as they've been in years.

It's like the negotiating team "ignored" other areas raised by members over the past months,

does the team appear to be too cozy with Ford management and what they want.

Interesting that the linked article quoted Gary Walkowitz. I thought that name rang a bell, so searched around a bit, and sure enough, this guy is an off-the-deep-end union individual. The Freep could not have chosen a more divisive individual to quote; if he's representative of the voters that "wanted more", the union and the OEMs will always have these razor thin approval margins.Here's some of his thoughts:

"Put a real end to concessions -- get back everything we gave up … and more!

There needs to be a fight prepared to get back EVERY concession that was given up in EVERY UAW contract - auto, parts workers, state workers, office workers. We deserve back the raises, bonuses, COLA, holidays, break time and everything else stolen from us."

Everything "stolen"? Good lord.

http://archive.freep.com/article/20100610/BUSINESS01/100609082/Letter-sent-UAW-members-behalf-Gary-Walkowicz

Edited by Harley Lover

I think you have folks like Gary who still think it's 1980 and they can get whatever they want through extortion (work stoppages) without regard to the market and you have newer hires and other intelligent members who understand reality. I'm not sure you can get a contract nowadays with more than 70 % approval.

I think you have folks like Gary who still think it's 1980 and they can get whatever they want through extortion (work stoppages) without regard to the market and you have newer hires and other intelligent members who understand reality. I'm not sure you can get a contract nowadays with more than 70 % approval.

After a few more contracts and the legacy members are gone, it will be a different union. A majority of the new hires realize there has to be give and takes within a deal and not just always wanting more.

As a fellow union member (NYSCOPBA) and past member of our contract committee I can tell you that in todays "connected" age, it is so much easier for the extremists to rattle the sabres and stoke the fears of the rank and file. I am glad that Ford and the UAW were able to get their message out and that the truth was, their tentative agreement was a good deal. Could FoMoCo tweak the plan? Sure, but at the expense of another area.

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

While the UAW needs to listen to real concerns by the rank and file, dispelling the gross inaccuracies

that jobs are movng to Mexico should be high on the agenda, social media has a lot to answer for

with spreading disinformation... Announcing full details of plans at MAP would have stopped that cold.

Edited by jpd80

While the UAW needs to listen to real concerns by the rank and file, dispelling the gross inaccuracies

that jobs are movng to Mexico should be high on the agenda, social media has a lot to answer for

with spreading disinformation... Announcing full details of plans at MAP would have stopped that cold.

Here's the thing regarding social media and the UAW:

Most of the higher leadership in the UAW don't know how to or have no interest in using social media at all. Until they truly embrace it, it will continue to be a problem.

• Like 1

Here's the thing regarding social media and the UAW:

Most of the higher leadership in the UAW don't know how to or have no interest in using social media at all. Until they truly embrace it, it will continue to be a problem.

Wow, that right there is a huge issue, you would think that these guys would be right on top of "propaganda"

and getting their message out as eficiently as possible, mass text, emails and use of social media is 21st century stuff.

I mean, you would think that having a medium that enables mass canvassing in a short period of time

would enable gathering factual data on critical decisions and issues bugging people.

Any leadership not embracing effective communication is blind siding itself to

a potential hostile take over and not necessarily by people who can do any better..

Edited by jpd80

...dispelling the gross inaccuracies that jobs are movng to Mexico should be high on the agenda

Aren't labor unions in the USA such as UAW supposed to show solidarity with unions around the world, including Sindicato Nacional Progresista de Trabajadores de Ford Motor Company y de la Industria Automotriz in Mexico?

Aren't labor unions in the USA such as UAW supposed to show solidarity with unions around the world, including Sindicato Nacional Progresista de Trabajadores de Ford Motor Company y de la Industria Automotriz in Mexico?

the UAW doesn't care. Most members (myself included until recently) don't even know there is a union in Mexico.